New eBay payments

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold something on eBay and the guy pays. He's organised a courier privately not through eBay for today (paid Monday) and the money was in my eBay account sat there.

It was still there last night with no withdrawal button available. I have my bank account and debit linked to my account and have done for years.

I gets up this morning, the money has left my eBay account and nothing has appeared in my bank!.

had I have been paid the old way directly into my PayPal and withdrew it would have been in my bank in a few hours.

Is this the latest eBay control freak scam ?, keep your money for 2-3 days to claim millions in short term interest ?.
If I don't see anything in my bank the parcels not leaving here he can take it up with eBay as to why tf I have no control over payment withdrawl and nothings in my bank

I don’t think the money clears until the item is shipped but I am not 100% sure tbh. You may need to call eBay to clarify🤔

The thing was, the item was down as a collection no mailing (too heavy), the guy was coming over 300 mile round trip. So me been a soft get said you sort a courier I'll box it but must be a collection from home today as I'm in but this is private not through eBay done after and done via a telephone call so he did.

Now the money has gone and no sign in my bank and the box is to be collected today, well was because it's not leaving until I see money, end of.

Take photos of the guy if he turns up plus record conversation descreetly and do screen shots of any ebay or banking transactions.

How did he pay, PayPal or by card payment through eBay. Also I know you can arrange collections for item through the eBay platform so that it is registered between the seller and buyer. Personally I haven’t done this but I know it can be done.

He paid through a debit card and eBay but it's all changed and this is the first item I've sold in ages so this is all new to me. He's paid for Parcel Force to collect. So he paid a few days back and I saw the money in this new holding pen for your cash. there's no withdraw button to your reg'ed bank account it so called just goes, It said available 19th ?. This is open to abuse and fraud if your mailing. What if that payment bounces after you've mailed ?.
So my money auto went sometime last night to my bank I guess but nothing there and the parcels due for collection. What happens if "you" ship or have 24 hour shipping for more sales and the payment eventually bounces 2-3 days after they paid and you've mailed.

To me it's simple, their taking out the PayPal protection and fraud and leaves you no were to go to make a claim. This is the last time I sell on eBay , I'm done

Last edited:
Ring your bank to see it it actually has transferred as payments can take 3 days to show but they know its there.

Speak of the devil I just this minute received an email from eBay to say your money is on its way it will take 0-4 days

looks like this parcel aint going anywhere thats unless the money lands before collected :)

So there's a warning to all, don't mail or organise a collection till the money hits your account.

I will add that I sold one item under the new payment system and the money did land in my bank account but not straight away. I posted before the money was in my bank account.
The only way the buyer could Challenge the payment would be to phone his bank and say that his card had been used fraudulently which I doubt he would do because that is fraud in itself.
He could also start a charge back proceedings but this can take up to a week or two so the payment would still go through but he would have to prove that he did not receive the goods or there was an issue with them.
I definitely think you would be covered under eBay terms of condition of sales tbh.
I would just do as others have said and phone your bank and eBay.

The only way the buyer could Challenge the payment would be to phone his bank and say that his card had been used fraudulently which I doubt he would do because that is fraud in itself.
Thats the problem you can buy eBay accounts and use bent debit cards fraud will esculate and the onus will be on the banks not PayPal. At least with PayPal you got sorted quite quickly.

Thats the problem you can buy eBay accounts and use bent debit cards fraud will esculate and the onus will be on the banks not PayPal. At least with PayPal you got sorted quite quickly.
Just change your payments to PayPal only on your auctions.

Also check to make sure the email you've received is legit from EBAY and not a spoof.
Hit forward or reply button on the email, to show real senders email domain.

Do you have online banking? -- if so, have a look at your account, you may be able to see 'pending' payments. My own account shows two amounts - the balance and the pending amount (usually on the debit side !!)

Well the collection guy came no money so I sent him away, just checked again and it's still not there. Next time no feeling sorry if you bid and see its a collection then collect yourself

Speak of the devil I just this minute received an email from eBay to say your money is on its way it will take 0-4 days

looks like this parcel aint going anywhere thats unless the money lands before collected :)

So there's a warning to all, don't mail or organise a collection till the money hits your account.
Once eBay confirms payment it will be in your account in a couple of days and the buyer cannot stop the card payment.
You will probably need to cancel the sale and refund the buyer and re-list your item unless he’s willing to send another courier. Also eBay members have to verify their bank account so it’s very difficult to scam using a debit card payment.

Not my problem if he wants it he can send another courier again once the monies in my account or drive over.
If he wants a refund no problem. I'm not sending anything till I see the coin.
Just checked, still not there

Yeah - the cutting out of PayPal by Ebay is a mistake in my view.
If Ebay used 'Faster Payment' system, you wouldn't get the problem you have had today

I think all the claims via PayPal (not just eBay) have took their toll.
I'm talking this guy paid Monday, 4 days on still no sign, wrong on every level.

Yeah - the cutting out of PayPal by Ebay is a mistake in my view.
If Ebay used 'Faster Payment' system, you wouldn't get the problem you have had today
You can still pay using PayPal.

I know but he used a debit lots prefer a debit over PayPal

Back