n900 on contract.

Glad you got it james.

Be patient. It's the first major company mobile tablet running linux. It's going to be awesome.

Read my thread

OpenArena (open source quake 3) runs really well on it, even with tv out.

You use the stylus on the screen to aim, whilst moving the mobile about via accelerometer to move, and shoot using 'ctrl'.

I'm well into it.

I have loads of emulators installed. I need to setup dosbox, and install scummvm too.

I will post another link on my thread with the emulators application catalogue.

Have you tried the media playback james? It plays divx/xvid like a dream, and VLC is coming soon. So is firefox mobile (currently being tested).

Munks. It does play snes very well. As it's linux we have all the lovely open source emulators that just need recompiling, and maybe adding some nice maemo5 menu stuff.

I have my wiimote connected to it, but at the moment it does not support the classic controller. A matter of time, then we will have the perfect joypad for emulation.

As far as satnav is concerned, I have used ovi maps a bit, and it does do turn my turn navigation. Its very like google earth to be honest. And ecoach is brill! It uses the gps and tracks training routines (running/hiking/biking) with all the right stats.

But I think there will be solutions soon. There is one firm developing one for January (can't remember the name).

It is a web tablet, with mobile functionality. It is heavy, But I would not say it is fat. Not fatter than my n95 8gb, and slightly smaller than an iphone. It is fatter than an iphone because of the physical keyboard, and worth it for that reason.

I am chuffed with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an ex-N95 aficionado, how would you rate it compared to that.

Pro's, con's etc.

I can't fault my N95 8gb, it does everything I want it to.
To move to the N900, I'd need that killer app that pushes it over the edge.

I've been looking at the N900 since I posted THIS back in August, but still can't decide :err:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a tad concerned about the size of the thing, I think I'll pop into the high st this week to see if it will fit in my tight pockets. Functionality wise it seems very impressive, the TV out is a very nice option which could be used in many situations for me, I hadn't planned on having this feature and it could save me a few quid buying a mobile player for the car. The list of features is pretty extensive, I look forward to checking it out.

Thank you for your input gents.

Seedy, I would not say there is one killer app if I am honest. The ovi store is not even n900 compatible yet. It is all still very new.

Saying that, the potential is massive! It is a pc running linux, that you can also make phone calls on. I have r00t!

So virtually any linux software can be compiled and installed on the phone. If there is one thing that is KILLER, it is that fact.

Also, I don't see why all 3rd party iphone apps (for jailbroken phones) could not be ported. I am sure there will be a lot of support for this phone. It will interest developers (linux lovers, who can also sell content through ovi).

If perfect SD divx/xvid support is important, 2gb of install space for apps, 30gb+16gb shdc for media etc., VNC, FTP, a cool keyboard, pleasantly surprising resistive touch screen, full web browsing with flash support, nice fully customisable multi desktop interface, good solid camera, with excellent video rcording, then its the phone for you.

Downsides? The n95 also has a good camera and video recording. I can see why you are happy with it seedy. I used my N95 as a phone/GPS/mp3 - podcast player. The fact that apps are thin on the ground at the moment. £500! BBC iplayer does not work at the moment (flash compatibility issue - but BBC have always been good with nokia, so I am sure it will be resolved quickly).

Right enough babbling. I've got nerding to do.

dont let the size of it put you off matey, its a good size and is not as bulky as you'd expect. fits nicely in my jean pocket i find it less noticable than my n95 8gb surprisingly. maybe because its longer as opposed to this fat square :) still getting used to the keyboard though so i apologise for any typo's :)

mozr i'd love it if you'd be able to help me with some apps, mainly the emulators if you wouldnt mind? :)

Just add the emulators application catalogue in the app manager, and grab/install the emus. Look at my other post.

Place unzipped roms (no zip support at preent), anywhere you want, as you can browse for games in each emulator.

I have just been playng super mario on ines using my wiimote. Kewl.

mozr i added the cat for getting the nintendo emulators thanx for that! does the app for the wii remote also come under it as i couldnt find it. more disapointingly for me is when i try and install drnoksnes emulator it says it cannot install due to files being missing something mote i think it said i can double check that though. really desperate to get the snes going :(

Wiicontrol is in extras-devel.

Try and install it again. If it throw the error back at you, got to details and note down what package you are missing.

The catalogue when working should download the dependencies for you.

:EDIT: Actually Jim.

Install wiicontrol first, from extras-devel, then DrNokSnes from the emulators repo.

I think it needs the wiicontrol libraries.

Last edited:
Mozr, already I dont know where i'd be without you, installing wiicontrol solved it, there are so many cool apps in extras devel aswell that i was itching to install. a plugin for msn support within the phones chat interface, i cant wait to get that going! but i dare not play about with them too much.

i assume in time all those apps wil eventually work their way up the list and end up in maemo extras? once fully tested etc?

im starting to get excited by this gadget at last now im getting to grips with it, thanx again mozr!!

cant believe there isnt a genesis / mega drive emulator though!

Last edited:
One of the developers showing off full screen snes emulation, playng [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1HldpVYbwI"]chrono trigger perfectly.[/ame]

Not been released yet.

That and classic controller support through wiicontrol and it's go!

It's all a matter of time! :)

fantastic! you wernt lying when you said give it time :) its going to be a great platform :)

Install Dosbox on n900.

There is a compiled version of 0.73 out there on the reopsitories.

There is not full keyboard support (colon ':' is the wrong character etc.) This is how I got it to work (much thanks to the guys on maemo.org for helping).

Install DOSBox from the repositories.

Then fire up X-terminal and type:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Then when you type

Code:

you get DOSBox 0.73 Preferences.txt

So to edit that file you need to send the command

Code:

The speech marks are very important,a s they account for the spaces in bash (")

page down to the final line and paste

Code:

after

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

then go into command mode by pressing ESC.

and running the save and quit command

Code:

Then dump all your dos games into your documents folder (simple alpha filenames please until the keyboard is fully supported).

The just change directory and run the game you are after.

EG:

Code:

Code:

I meant to paste this into my other thread.

Apols.

Please delete if necessary.

Back