Moving from DM800SE over to VU Solo2 (Clone) - Few basic questions

Mr S

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have recently been contributing here on the Vu Solo2 Clone thread and finally made the purchase for a Solo2 Clone. Now, previously I have only dealt with DM800se (Ferrari) versions so have a few basic queries I was hoping
you guys could answer;

When I used to update my DM800se Ferrari box, I would flash the box with an up to date SSL Bootlader. Once I had sent the 800se the Bootloader, I would then send the new (Ferrari patched) image. There seems to be a few terms floating about on the VU scene and was wondering if people could give me info on the below;

'bootloader' and 'kernel'
1) Is there a 'bootloader' that you have to update on the VU before sending it images?
2) There's also something about the 'kernel' I read, is this the same as the 'bootloader' or is this different that also needs updating before loading a new image?
3) Do the drivers also need updating or are these usually bundled with the 'bootlader' file?
4) Is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of so that I do not end up Bricking the box?

5) Everything else seems fairly the same as they are Enigma / Linux boxes. Can you confirm which is the best image to use, Black Hole or Vix?

6) Are there any other PC Programs that you can recommend? I have Dreambox control centre and VU Control Centre. Anything else that people can recommend that are useful?

7) Are there any other box Plugins that can be recommended. I already know about Cooltvguide, TSPanel, etc. Is there anything 'VU Specific' that I need to be aware of please?

Appreciate the help in advance.

Hi Everyone

I have recently been contributing here on the Vu Solo2 Clone thread and finally made the purchase for a Solo2 Clone. Now, previously I have only dealt with DM800se (Ferrari) versions so have a few basic queries I was hoping
you guys could answer;

When I used to update my DM800se Ferrari box, I would flash the box with an up to date SSL Bootlader. Once I had sent the 800se the Bootloader, I would then send the new (Ferrari patched) image. There seems to be a few terms floating about on the VU scene and was wondering if people could give me info on the below;

'bootloader' and 'kernel'
1) Is there a 'bootloader' that you have to update on the VU before sending it images?
2) There's also something about the 'kernel' I read, is this the same as the 'bootloader' or is this different that also needs updating before loading a new image?
3) Do the drivers also need updating or are these usually bundled with the 'bootlader' file?
4) Is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of so that I do not end up Bricking the box?

5) Everything else seems fairly the same as they are Enigma / Linux boxes. Can you confirm which is the best image to use, Black Hole or Vix?

6) Are there any other PC Programs that you can recommend? I have Dreambox control centre and VU Control Centre. Anything else that people can recommend that are useful?

7) Are there any other box Plugins that can be recommended. I already know about Cooltvguide, TSPanel, etc. Is there anything 'VU Specific' that I need to be aware of please?

Appreciate the help in advance.

From what I understand at this moment in time you just flash the original images. No ssl or kernel update.

I would stick with the drivers included in the image and not upgrade as its the drivers that will stop your clone from functioning but even then just a reflash sorts it.

DCC also works with the VU range.

From what I understand at this moment in time you just flash the original images. No ssl or kernel update.

I would stick with the drivers included in the image and not upgrade as its the drivers that will stop your clone from functioning but even then just a reflash sorts it.

DCC also works with the VU range.

Appreciate the response Ferret
Great, just so I fully understand here. If for example, I flashed the Solo2 with the wrong image (that contained the wrong drivers) my box would not work. But all I would need to do to restore it is flash back with a working image - correct?

Appreciate the response Ferret
Great, just so I fully understand here. If for example, I flashed the Solo2 with the wrong image (that contained the wrong drivers) my box would not work. But all I would need to do to restore it is flash back with a working image - correct?

At this moment that is what ive read, the problem I have with these solo2 clones is there is no team behind them so if problem's were to arise then who'd support this ?

Back