Media Centre PC

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to build a high performance Media Centre PC but dont know where to start.

I would like to configure the hardware aspect first.

My requirement are having at least 4 Sat tuners and also 2 Cable tuners in the HTPC.

It should allow me to play Blu rays etc. Wants to have a low fan not too much noise. A high quality motherboard. I would also prefer a top high end HTPC case anyone recommend any?

I require

HTPC Case
Motherboard - Support 4 Sat Tuners - 2 Cable Tuners
Sat Tuner Cards
Cable Tuner Cards
HDMI
HDD - 2 TB
Memory -
OS -

Would anybody with any experience recomend what type of equipment I should be looking at? I have a budget of £1000

Faizal

Last edited:
Just wondering why you need 4 sat tuner cards and 2 cable.would one sat tuner not do just interested thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Just wondering why you need 4 sat tuner cards and 2 cable.would one sat tuner not do just interested thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I would imagine for distribution to 4 tvs for sat etc

Trouble is htc's tend to be smaller, would the motherboard you put in a htpc case (presumably micro atx) have enough pci slots for all those tuners?

The reason for these tuners is for recording. I have a fixed sky dish one watch and one record

I have a motorised one for zapping to motorised and incase wana record summat on motorised

Cable with HD possibly going from sly wana zap to HD content on Cable and one for recording from cable

That is what i was thinking would a motherboard have the support for 6 tuner slots for a HTPC

You would be better just building a standard PC with enough PCI slots to facilitate your tuners as the backend and store it in your garage/loft then use something cheap for the headend to plug into your TVs using xbmc (raspberry pi).

Look at: mythTV, tvheadend

The reason for these tuners is for recording. I have a fixed sky dish one watch and one record

I have a motorised one for zapping to motorised and incase wana record summat on motorised

Cable with HD possibly going from sly wana zap to HD content on Cable and one for recording from cable

That is what i was thinking would a motherboard have the support for 6 tuner slots for a HTPC

Could you not use a quad sat card for 4 inputs and a twin for the cable, then you only need 2 PCI slots. Yous should be able to use the SKy and moterised feeds into the 4 connectors.
If not you would need a full size motherboard to get the 6 slots. OriginAE do some nice HTPC cases. I have an old Fullsize one that looks good on top of my hifi rack, although not cheap they are well built.

Back