Recommend any decent channels that are free that i am missing

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a custom bouquets with the channels in the order i like from a mix of sat, DVB-t and IPTV. on Vu SOLO2 running openVix

I noticed some of the channels are no longer working like channel 5 so i need to edit the bouquets and remove non working and add the new channel. I do a manual scan first that clears all old broke channels and then add the new channels using bouquets editor in openWebif to edit them.

Can anyone think of any free channels on 28.2 that i am missing that are decent.

heres my current list of channels.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
The first few obstacles to understand/appreciate/consider are:
  • Background scanning. The default is for this to be enabled. So if you subsequently select a channel that is on transponder that also has the channel you don't want, they will be re-added. So consider what option you want to have.
  • SDT errors. Some channels have wrong details on the tables.
  • Clear before scan. The limitation of this function is that it only clears the transponders it scans. If the the transponder on "dead channel" is no longer listed in the satellites.xml file, it will not be probed and those channels will not be cleared.
  • It is inadvisable to manually modify bouquets created by ABM. If determined to do so, best to hijack them. This is done by editing the names of the individual bouquet files and then the corresponding entries in register of all bouquet files (bouquets.tv) . ABM bouquets are prefixed with "userbouquet.abm", so change/remove the "abm".

I would recommend saving the existing bouquets to the PC before making changes. OWIF bouquet editor will also allow you to export them.

Question is how do I have just channels that are working shown.
Remove services and then rescan. To remove services
Option 1. Up (next to OK) > Green (satellites) > Highlight/Select the satellite > Menu > remove selected satellite > Confirm action

Option 2. Stop Enigma2 with an "init 4" command. Then delete lamedb file in /etc/enigma2. Do it by command line or by FTP. Restart by sending "init 3" command

Note: The entries in bouquets that no longer exist in lamedb will shown as N/A

Also what is the easiest scan to do that will return only all free channels.
Use manual scan instead of automatic scan. You can select the option to scan free services only.
Alternatively, if the providers are served by AutoBouquetsMaker, you can configure ABM to scan but not create bouquets and enable the FTA only mode. Benefits of this are:
1. The FTA flag errors on the SDT can be overidden.
2. It is quicker. As an example, instead of waiting for 10+ minutes for a scan of 28.2, it can be done in less than a minute.

The downside of using ABM is that it reads the tables and does not probe every transponder. So people out of footprint or with reception issues will end up with services they cannot receive. Most recent example of this is BBC SW HD which seems to be on a transponder some people are not receiving properly.

lamedb will then only contain working channels. It does not matter whether using OWIF bouquet editor or Dreamboxedit/Dreamsat/E-Chanenlizer to do the editing.

The first few obstacles to understand/appreciate/consider are:
  • Background scanning. The default is for this to be enabled. So if you subsequently select a channel that is on transponder that also has the channel you don't want, they will be re-added. So consider what option you want to have.
  • SDT errors. Some channels have wrong details on the tables.
  • Clear before scan. The limitation of this function is that it only clears the transponders it scans. If the the transponder on "dead channel" is no longer listed in the satellites.xml file, it will not be probed and those channels will not be cleared.
  • It is inadvisable to manually modify bouquets created by ABM. If determined to do so, best to hijack them. This is done by editing the names of the individual bouquet files and then the corresponding entries in register of all bouquet files (bouquets.tv) . ABM bouquets are prefixed with "userbouquet.abm", so change/remove the "abm".

I would recommend saving the existing bouquets to the PC before making changes. OWIF bouquet editor will also allow you to export them.

Remove services and then rescan. To remove services
Option 1. Up (next to OK) > Green (satellites) > Highlight/Select the satellite > Menu > remove selected satellite > Confirm action

Option 2. Stop Enigma2 with an "init 4" command. Then delete lamedb file in /etc/enigma2. Do it by command line or by FTP. Restart by sending "init 3" command

I had figured out most of this before you replied and edit the original post as a result.

I believe i discussed ABM as an option to do what i wanted before with you on either this site or another and i remember at the time it was not possible to cover my needs. Its only 60 channel bouquet so if i have to spend an hour once or twice a year to have it the way i like then its not too much hassle.

Note: The entries in bouquets that no longer exist in lamedb will shown as N/A

I think thats why i stopped using it and just learn it again as it happened there again. All the channels listed N/A i had to search EPG to figure out what the actual channel was and replace with the newly found channel.

Use manual scan instead of automatic scan.
Thanks that is what i used in the end. Been so long i missed that option when searching.

Edit: Missed the free bit lol :rolleyes:

Legend
Thats tv gold
Sky witness
Gold
Watch
Sky comedy
Sky crime
Sky Sci-fi
Sky Atlantic
Sky showcase
Comedy central
UK gold
4 seven

Last edited:
You can also move channels with your remote. Press menu while in the channel selection menu and enable move/copy mode.

Here is a favourites.xml file for you to try if you want to use with ABM. Unzip and place it in /etc/enigma2/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom then run ABM. I did not know the numbers of the saorview channels, you will have to edit yourself. Use London HD, do not swap. Apart from the saorview channels, It will have the ones in your list as well as the ones manic01 recommended.

Code:

Attachments

• grime favourites.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 1
You can also move channels with your remote. Press menu while in the channel selection menu and enable move/copy mode.

Here is a favourites.xml file for you to try if you want to use with ABM. Unzip and place it in /etc/enigma2/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom then run ABM. I did not know the numbers of the saorview channels, you will have to edit yourself. Use London HD, do not swap. Apart from the saorview channels, It will have the ones in your list as well as the ones manic01 recommended.

Code:

Are you sure /etc/enigma2/AutoBouquetsMaker is the correct path i dont have the AutoBouquetsMaker dir?

and ABM is definitely installed.

Code:

I am running an older openvix image though.

Code:

Thanks for the help

The /etc/enigma2/.... location was added on 30/09/2022.

Please use:
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom

I added your xml to the location you said and ran ABM but i dont see the bouquet created. I just see the standard bouquests created by ABM. what will the name of the Bouquets be that is created by your favourites.

favourites (TV) is empty and i had a quick look at the other bouquets and they just seem to be standard ABM ones.

I dont see the option for custom bouqeuts under providers and it doesnt appear i have custom provider hidden either.

any other suggestions.

If i get this working can i name the bouquets anything i want like Grims Favs and also number the channels what i want starting from 1 so RTE1 is channel 1?

Maybe you transferred the file incorrectly. Please provide a debug log.

Please look at the file using a text editor and it should be self explanatory

Code:

at position 1 ( the target), you have channel 1 from saorview. i.e rte 1 ( the source)
at position 11( the target) , you have channel 801 from sky uk, i.e bbc 1 hd ( the source)

Attached are screenshots. I don't have saorview so it cannot import those. That is why these start at 11 . Change the names to what suits you.

What do you mean by this?
I dont see the option for custom bouqeuts under providers and it doesnt appear i have custom provider hidden either.

Attachments

• grime.jpg
    grime.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 4
  • grime 2.jpg
    grime 2.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 4
Back