Manchester United thread

rooney captain? i dont think so..... not now anyway, he cant control himself.... i dont think captaincy is an issue anyway, we just someone to control the midfield and hargreaves can be that man if stays fit. rumours suggestin he's out til the new year dont sound good at all and if thats the case we need to buy a short term replacement because no way do i want scholes or giggs playing that role. Legends yes, good enough, no....

also need a new right back if brown cant stay fit and i defo think that nani and tosic should be given a chance at left mid. park's a decent player but to be honest was out of his depth against barca... carrick/fletcher and anderson to start in the middle next yr, if no hagreaves or new signing...

tevez, i dont really whats gona happen with him. sometimes the move is on, then its off etc....if he goes, i hope fergie has a replcement and is not relying on the likes of welbeck and macheda. Although good propects, dont think they are ready for a full season. Rooney well..... is ok, performs sometimes and berba well this is gona be his make or break season.

No tevez, then i hope we go for benzema....

Maybe a keeper as well... Probaly VDS's last season, kuz is crap and foster is just too injury prone, dont think we can rely on him to be honest.

Hargreaves faces career concerns

Owen Hargreaves may be forced to quit top-level football in the next two years if his chronic knee problem persists, BBC Sport understands.

The Manchester United and England midfielder has had two operations to cure a tendinitis problem in both knees but the pain has yet to subside.

It is believed the 28-year-old has not yet planned a return date but is still confident of making a full recovery.

He has had only 25 starts since a £17m move from Bayern Munich in July 2007.

Hargreaves, who was seen demonstrating his ball skills during United's warm-up for the Champions League final in Rome on 27 May, has not featured for Sir Alex Ferguson's side since their 1-1 draw with Chelsea on 21 September 2008.

He underwent surgery on his right knee last November and then on his left knee in January.

The procedures were carried out under the guidance of leading American knee surgeon Richard Steadman, who has previously operated on former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer, current Magpies forward Michael Owen and ex-Red Devils striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who is now at Real Madrid.

Ferguson has previously said that he was "certain" Hargreaves would be fit for the beginning of the 2009-2010 campaign but it is now believed there is little chance of that happening.

Hargreaves, who is halfway through a four-year contract at United, hopes to begin training with the United first team at the end of July or the start of August but he could be restricted to as little as one session per week.

Manchester United have declined to comment on Hargreaves' current level of fitness, but it is believed that his injury is so delicate it can only be monitored on a day-to-day basis and stepping up the intensity of his rehabilitation programme could have potentially disastrous ramifications.

If the England international suffers a recurrence of the original problem he would face another lengthy absence.

Hargreaves aims to manage the injury as slowly as necessary before making a return when he is pain free but he will not return if he is feeling any level of discomfort.

If Hargreaves is pain free he is likely to be able to play at the top level for at least four or five more years but, if not, a premature end is likely.

His condition, patellar tendinitis, can be described as inflammation of the tendon that attaches the quadriceps (thigh muscle) to the tibia (shin bone).

It can be caused by a number of factors, including a rapid increase in the frequency of training, sudden increase in the intensity of training, transition from one training method to another, genetic abnormalities of the knee joint and poor base strength of the quadriceps.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | M | Man Utd | Hargreaves faces career concerns

that doesnt sound good at all... defensive midfielder needed for sure, dont think we can rely on hargreaves unfortunately...

I know man.. thats soooo sad to read..
he is a tremendous player and we could have done with him this season!!

hopefully its just a rumor and he is back with the team for the start of the new season..

Apparently Samuel Eto has been made available to sell by Barcelona, which is unbelievable cos he finished second highest goal scorer in La Liga and provided them with 30 goals.

Man United could go for him, and as he's only got about 1 year left on his contract he wouldnt be too expensive

Apparently Samuel Eto has been made available to sell by Barcelona, which is unbelievable cos he finished second highest goal scorer in La Liga and provided them with 30 goals.

Man United could go for him, and as he's only got about 1 year left on his contract he wouldnt be too expensive

doubt it... same rumours last season, unless they've got someone like benzema ready to replace him with..

It appears that young Frazier Campbell is on his way out with Hull reportedly tabling a bid in the region of £6 million! I think it could be a good move for the young striker as he will struggle to break into the first team at United!

Wigan have confirmed that both Manchester United and Real Madrid have put in bids for Luis Antonio Valencia.

The price we’re looking at to sign him is in excess of £16m.

Last edited:
It appears that young Frazier Campbell is on his way out with Hull reportedly tabling a bid in the region of £6 million! I think it could be a good move for the young striker as he will struggle to break into the first team at United!

agreed, dont think he'll make it utd.

Wigan have confirmed that both Manchester United and Real Madrid have put in bids for Luis Antonio Valencia.

The price we’re looking at the sign him is in excess of £16m.

disappointed with this news as i dont think he's good enough for utd...

yea i agree.. dont think Campbell would have made it in the first team.. at least now he'll get some first team action...

also i aint the happiest about the Valencia move.. i'd rather him go to Madrid...

I'd be happy if we get Valencia he is a real talent i think besides as an out and out winger he is better then Park!

Valencia has pace and a great shot!

I personally would like him to come i think under Fergie he can improve further!

I think Fergie will sell some of the fringe players to finance a move for him!

I think its upto Valencia to decide who to sign for either us or MADrid

Would have preferred that they go for Aaron Lennon instead, pay a few extra million and get a english player as well as a great talent that fergie would be able to sort out his end product

Would have preferred that they go for Aaron Lennon instead, pay a few extra million and get a english player as well as a great talent that fergie would be able to sort out his end product

a few million extra?? what?? lennon worth £20m?? no chance... his got acceleration and pace but his end product is just awful...

we have nani, give him a chance!! we knows nani has the talent because we've seen him do, just needs a consistant run of games...

a few million extra?? what?? lennon worth £20m?? no chance... his got acceleration and pace but his end product is just awful...

we have nani, give him a chance!! we knows nani has the talent because we've seen him do, just needs a consistant run of games...

I agree about Nani i don't think he has been given a fair run in the side he gets a game only then hes on the bench for 5-6 games! I think Valencia is for the right side which may mean Ronaldo may push up in strike and Valencia can play central midfield also!

I would rather Nani get more games than getting Valencia or Lennon..
i think Nani is veru immature at the moment.. and i think even though he neva got much chances.. he never really shined when he did and so he didnt give Fergie a reason to pick him..

but he has the ability.. if he matures abit over the summer.. he will definitely improve his performances for us and no winger will be needed..

the biggest problem is Tevez.. is he staying or going? if he is gona go i think we will need a replacement unless Fergie decides to put faith in Macheda and Welbeck who are both very different for Tevez and also Very inexperienced...

yea he is not worth 20mill but i think lennon is the best young winger in the premier league. As everyone says it's only his end product that needs major help, but it was the same with Cristiano when he first arrived and look how good he turned out under the guidance of Man United's coaching team.

I would also agree on give Nani more chances as he has improved his strength and can keep the ball longer. His consistency needs to improve though.

I still dont understand why Ferguson splashed out 17 million for those 2 serbian wingers

I still dont understand why Ferguson splashed out 17 million for those 2 serbian wingers

yea Tosic needs to be given a chance aswell as Nani..
aint Adem ljajic a central midfielder that can play on the wing?

yea Tosic needs to be given a chance aswell as Nani..
aint Adem ljajic a central midfielder that can play on the wing?

Yes that Adem ljajic is a central midfielder he will join us next month and Tosic will be involved more next season they were just building his fitness up and getitng him used to the English game in the reserves he does look to be an ok player!

Yes that Adem ljajic is a central midfielder he will join us next month and Tosic will be involved more next season they were just building his fitness up and getitng him used to the English game in the reserves he does look to be an ok player!

pretty sure ljajic is joining in january.... tosic seems a good prospect and hopefully that'll give nani extra motivation to work harder and perform consistently now that he knows there's more competiton on the left wing

then laljic probably wont even play this coming season, cos he'll need to follow a similar program that tosic followed to get him used to style of play here

Back