Manchester United thread

Theres no need to sign new keeper, im sure this is jus bs. We all know how crap kuczcrap is but ben foster is quality and i think he should be given number 1 spot next season

if they were to spend that much money i would rather them spending it on Tevez than a keeper

99 inspiration

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has called on his players to evoke the spirit of 1999 when they face Porto in Wednesday's quarter-final tie.

Porto have the advantage after a 2-2 first-leg draw at Old Trafford.

A decade ago, United drew with Juventus at home and were 2-0 down in Turin before coming back to clinch a dramatic Roy Keane-inspired 3-2 victory.

"We have had a lot of good European nights but Juventus is probably the one that stands out," Ferguson reflected.

"After a draw at home, we won away, which we hope is the same again. It was a night when a lot of the big players played well."

Porto's last-gasp equaliser at Old Trafford means that to advance to the semi-finals United must win at the Estadio do Dragao - something no English side has managed before.

United won the Champions League title in 1999 following a dramatic comeback win over Bayern Munich in Barcelona.

Ferguson cited other recent examples of strong European performances from his side - notably in beating Roma 2-0 in Rome last season and the 0-0 draw at Inter Milan this year - to demonstrate why he has faith in his current crop of players to succeed in Portugal.

"There are plenty of performances we would like to replicate and I trust these players to do it.

"They deserve that because of their performances over the last two or three years in big away games in Europe."

Porto coach Jesualdo Ferreira insists his side will not sit back and vowed to kill off the game early on.

"There is no other way for us to play than how we did last week and I would never tell my team to operate below capacity just to achieve a draw," he said.

"Manchester United are the best team in the world but last week we proved they were only human and we aim to do the same again."

Ferreira will be absent from the technical area after Uefa handed him a one-match touchline ban for gesticulating at the referee during the last-16 clash with Atletico Madrid on 24 February.

Not so good news on Fletcher he has been ruled out unfortunately with a hamstring injury hope he doesn't start Schloles and Giggs because of this!

We need some energy in middle so play Anderson please

giggs will bring energy and experience.. remember the game against chelsea? he was brilliant that game..

i hope we do play a 4-4-2 instead of a 4-3-3/4-5-1...

we can do this!! come on!!

lets hope the shit form has ended lol

manuheart.gif

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says Rio Ferdinand will start Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Porto.

Ferdinand missed last week's 2-2 draw because of a groin injury.

"It gets us back the partnership between Rio and Nemanja Vidic, which has been the cornerstone of our great defensive performances," said Ferguson.

Anderson and full-back Rafael da Silva, who have both been carrying injuries, are also in United's squad.

The return of Ferdinand, who has also had to contend with a niggling back injury, is a welcome piece of good news for Ferguson.

United went 14 games without conceding a goal earlier in the season, but injuries and suspensions in defence have seen them let the opposition score in their last five matches.

606: DEBATE
How important is Ferdinand's return for Man Utd?

"We think Rio is fit," said Ferguson.

"He trained on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and he will start (on Wednesday).

"There is a lot of quality in Rio's game, so he is obviously going to make a difference."

Porto have the edge - Ferguson

United are aiming to become the first English team to beat Porto on their own ground.

The Portuguese side, who are unbeaten in 20 matches and are closing in on a fourth domestic league title in a row, are missing just one player, defender Jorge Fucile.

But Porto will have coach Jesualdo Ferreira watching on from the stands at the Estadio do Dragao as he serves a touchline ban imposed by Uefa.

Ferreira was initially suspended for two matches after he gestured toward the referee when a Porto goal was disallowed during an earlier Champions League match against Atletico Madrid on 24 February.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

-------------------------VDS---------------------------

O'Shea----------Rio------------Vidic----------Evra

Ronnie-------Carrick-------------Giggs------Park

-----------------------------------Roo-----------------
--------------------------Tevez-----------------------

That will do me for tonight let's see what Fergie picks lol bet im miles off but that's the team I would put out to start as it seems berbs is carrying that injury still so is Anderson an Fletchers out altogether.

OMGOSH im nervous now :drink: <-should sort it

COME ON YOOOOO REDS

Not so good news on Fletcher he has been ruled out unfortunately with a hamstring injury

Didn't stop him shopping tonight in the Trafford Centre, pushing around his two kids in a buggy in Selfridges????????

I thought a hamstring would need rest????

Didn't stop him shopping tonight in the Trafford Centre, pushing around his two kids in a buggy in Selfridges????????

I thought a hamstring would need rest????

what time did you see him?

Anyway great to see Anderson play i thought he did well also Berbatov had a good game too was good too see. Hopefully this result will restore confidence in the team and especially the defense.

That goal was very special from Ronaldo!

Job done well done United!

Cristiano Ronaldo hit a phenomenal 40-yard strike to hand Manchester United a superb 1-0 win away to Porto. The result sends the Red Devils into the last four of the European Cup as the Red Devils become the first English club to win at Estádio do Dragão. It was nerve-wracking at times – but the holders did enough to book a semi-final date with the Gooners.

Ronaldo settled an absorbing contest with an amazing long-range effort after only six minutes. Playing on Portuguese soil, the winger picked up an Anderson pass and launched a 40-yard beauty beyond Dragões stopper Da Silva Henton to edge the Reds ahead on aggregate.

United chose the appropriate moment to secure a first clean sheet since March 7th as United capped their 150th Champions League game with an historic modern-day victory.

United were largely composed at the back with the return of Rio Ferdinand helping to settle any pre-match jitters. There were nervy moments, however, and Porto almost snatched the tie in the closing minutes but Lisandro Lopez hit a weak shot straight at Edwin van der Sar from only yards out.

The Red Devils could have extended their lead and Nemanja Vidic nearly slotted home on the stroke of half-time. With the goal at his mercy, the Serb fired a cross over the bar as the tie remained on a knife-edge.

Sir Alex, however, can be proud of his side's battling qualities and defensive serenity. We bossed possession for long periods, kept level heads in the closing moments and richly deserve this excellent victory.

The Reds now face a very tough semi-final tie with Arsenal. The North London outfit brushed Villarreal aside with a 3-0 win at Ashburton Grove; meaning Fergie will renew is rivalry with Arsene Wenger in a whole new setting. I'm nervous already. Well done Reds.

nice to see the defense back when we need em,great job by all tonight and ronnys goal was mint

beatingheartavatarik2.gif

Outrageous goal and very solid, was expecting a tense one but felt quite relaxed throughout, last ten minutes was a bit squeaky @ 0-1 but never really felt we was gunna concede. Anderson in the middle an Rooney on sissoko was the difference for me from last week an obviously rio. Very positive + were in the semi finals again :WORSHIP:

Now for Arsenal lol that one's gunner be fun

A good gritty performance, Porto didnt play as well as last week and you lot played a hell of a lot better.

Gonna be an interesting semi-final.

A good gritty performance, Porto didnt play as well as last week and you lot played a hell of a lot better.

Gonna be an interesting semi-final.

A hell of of a lot better than recent weeks jaffa mate and as for the semi final ..................

I cant bear to watch......... But will

here we go again

Yeah i really dont know what to make of that . Great result for united but i cant help thinking Barca or Chelsea would have put 4 or 5 past Porto tonight . I think united are going to have to up their game still further to win this thing but at least we are sure of a prem team being in the final so good luck to all three

Back