Main site news::::Insert title of choice.

God ffs he joins in 2005 posts fook all for 8 years now he wants to redesign the site, why don't someone just post F**k off.

Never worked with you :D

Sent from my MOMO12 using Tapatalk HD

In the title box above, it says " Re: Main site news::::Insert title of choice." I can see that, and I assume everyone else can.

If you claim not to see that, I can only assume a wind up, and reply accordingly. The :::: is just separation for (I thought) clarity.

If you look in any other main site news thread, the "Main site news" bit is missing. It's in this one, because I typed it when I started the thread.

The suggestion is that the forum s/w should automatically insert "Main site news" in the title when anyone starts a thread in this section.

It would then be repeated in every post in the thread, just as this one is, as a reminder to remember where you are, before posting.

I think it's a good idea, does anyone want to tell me why it's a bad one ?

You may think it's not needed, but here's a current example,https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/357633/

Nothing wrong with that one, it's funny, earlier ones were very different. I can't see how any of this is complicated, or confusing.

The explanation is for Mick, it's easier here than the "post header" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still confused mate, you want forum prefixes for the main news???

Sent from my iPhone.

I'm still confused mate, you want forum prefixes for the main news???

Sent from my iPhone.

Basically when you hit reply to thread or even reply with quote,it brings up the quick reply message box,

But it doesnt state in the header of the message box what section and what thread you are replying to,so if you are not paying attention you could I suppose reply incorrectly to the thread in question :)

I think thats the gist

I'm still confused mate, you want forum prefixes for the main news???Sent from my iPhone.

Yes, "Main site news" auto inserted into the thread title

It can be typed into the thread title, by the thread starter, as I did in this one, for demonstration.

Auto would be better, that's all I'm suggesting, the rest is confusion and wind up, reasons unknown.

Basically when you hit reply to thread or even reply with quote,it brings up the quick reply message box,

But it doesnt state in the header of the message box what section and what thread you are replying to,so if you are not paying attention you could I suppose reply incorrectly to the thread in question :)

I think thats the gist

So it would seem that paying attention would be the best solution all round. :)

I think thats the gist

Sort of, lets assume I'm looking at a post that I want to reply to. I can obviously see the content, but the title Re:.............whatever, doesn't indicate the section.

If I use the bottom "reply to thread" button, I still get no indication in "quick replay". If I "go advanced" I can find the section by scrolling, but I have to look.

All I'm trying to say (apparently not very well) is that if the post I wanted to reply to, had "main site news" in the title, the section would always be obvious,

from each and every post. I'm only suggesting this for main site news, the rest don't matter very much.

Why dont the rest matter very much?

Well, when anything iffy is discussed in main site news, like speculation on the next celebrity paedophile, wrists get slapped and posts deleted, for legal protection?
Main site portal was mentioned somewhere, as the reason. Another example was the woolwich incident, not good in main site news, but ok in general chat.
It doesn't seem to happen e.g in the rant room, so I assumed there was less exposure, but I don't understand how.

My "don't understand" list increases with age, my "don't care" list is some compensation.:)

Well, when anything iffy is discussed in main site news, like speculation on the next celebrity paedophile, wrists get slapped and posts deleted, for legal protection?
Main site portal was mentioned somewhere, as the reason. Another example was the woolwich incident, not good in main site news, but ok in general chat.
It doesn't seem to happen e.g in the rant room, so I assumed there was less exposure, but I don't understand how.

My "don't understand" list increases with age, my "don't care" list is some compensation.:)

So you are saying that if you get confused in other areas of the site it doesn't matter?

You are just as likely to get posts deleted in other sections,but in the main that probably wont apply to you,

Tbh I personally think you are over thinking it :)

So you are saying that if you get confused in other areas of the site it doesn't matter?

No, I saying that in main site news we get mod warnings of legal implications, and are told "it reflects on the site" etc.
Many other sections are open, even to guests who can read if not post, and I would have thought the same applied to these.
I haven't noticed any similar warnings in other sections, unless I missed them. It's usually just a nudge when the thread goes off topic.
So, I assumed main site news was more generally exposed for reasons unknown, at least to me.

Tbh I personally think you are over thinking it :)

Maybe, but I don't think I've got the equipment.:)

One thing is clear. Stay out of "Forum ideas and suggestions", even with a simple suggestion.

And if I ever have a complicated one.............:LOL:

I wouldn't be put off making suggestions M8 but IMHO Ideas & Suggestions works a bit like RFCs in Internet land. People make suggestions all the time but most of the time not very many people jump up and down shouting 'Yay! Great idea - let's do it!"

In this case, while I see your point, it's clearly not such a big deal to anyone else? I just use a tab-tiler in the browser so I get two parts of the same web-page one above the other. In Firefox this is the 'Tile Tabs' add-on.

:)

No, I saying that in main site news we get mod warnings of legal implications, and are told "it reflects on the site" etc.
Many other sections are open, even to guests who can read if not post, and I would have thought the same applied to these.
I haven't noticed any similar warnings in other sections, unless I missed them. It's usually just a nudge when the thread goes off topic.
So, I assumed main site news was more generally exposed for reasons unknown, at least to me.

Maybe, but I don't think I've got the equipment.:)

One thing is clear. Stay out of "Forum ideas and suggestions", even with a simple suggestion.

And if I ever have a complicated one.............:LOL:

Fair enough mate :)

@Mick seen as how I've winded him up so much could you please see if what he suggests is possible please :)

I wouldn't be put off making suggestions M8 but IMHO Ideas & Suggestions works a bit like RFCs in Internet land. People make suggestions all the time but most of the time not very many people jump up and down shouting 'Yay! Great idea - let's do it!"
In this case, while I see your point, it's clearly not such a big deal to anyone else? I just use a tab-tiler in the browser so I get two parts of the same web-page one above the other. In Firefox this is the 'Tile Tabs' add-on.

Yes, must agree, clearly not such a big deal to anyone else.

Main site news, just three little words. They may not do any good, but they won't do any harm.

Apart from "I do", just two other little words, have usually caused me less bother. :)

Still think I'll stay out of "forum ideas and suggestions" though, seems little point.

I can't see who suggested "flying envelopes" in there, either.:LOL:

Fair enough mate :)

@Mick seen as how I've winded him up so much could you please see if what he suggests is possible please :)

Hmm, I might have been just a tad guilty as well.;)

Back