iPhone iphone 5 no bars

nistleboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
i bought an iphone 5 for the wife from bay and received it today.i brought it over to the freinds house as he has the iphone 5.

the phone was said to be working with o2 so i put my freinds sim in phone and get the o2 and 3g but it gets no bars and i cant ring out.i tried his wifes sim and getting the same result.

any help guys pls.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

You can check if the imei is blocked by running it through mazuma or any other phone buying site
if it comes back with your make/model and price they will offer then the imei is not barred, if it doesnt then its barred.

if its not blocked then its a hardware fault

thanks shaun and kryton was going to go o2 tom but will wait.my friend has the phone and hes an acer tech.hes tried everything so not looking good.

thamks guys :)

aye looks like someone has tried to pull a fast one on you my friend, get the fookers strung up best ya can...

aslong as you paid via the official channels you should be ok pal, hope it works out for you..

Last edited:
aye looks like someone has tried to pull a fast one on you my friend, get the fookers strung up best ya can...

aslong as you paid via the official channels you should be ok pal, hope it works out for you..

thanks BIG-HOL im taking to the o2 shop and hopefully get some sort of proof that phone is faulty.

will then claim of bay its a shame as i know my wife would of loved this.

it cost 200.00 on bay tjought it was too good but he had sold 8 items and hhad 110 feed.

he has got back to me twice saying the phone was ok.its not rocket science putting a sim in a phone.

thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
@nistleboy
just a thought , I aint got an iphone and never had one but can you go into settings somewhere. and manually change the carrier .i.e orange, vodaphone etc, try it with a a 02 sim in select one of the other carriers. it should fail, then reselect 02 and see if it "logs on" so to speak. I've done that before on a n android phone and went from zero bars to full 5 bars and able to make calls.

Sorry if I'm pissing in the wind

if this fails no matter what he says or promises make sure you still raise a dispute even if he promises you yr cash back etc

Last edited:
just went to o2 the imei is barred so mailing the guy soon .
wish i was off today to get things going. thanks everyone will keep you all informed.

Open an Ebay dispute straight away. Don't waste too much time on emailing back and forth.

You can close the dispute later if needed.

Typical trick, got to be so careful selling/buying phones on there. They report them stolen or lost then flog it anyway but normally wait a few weeks so you've used it and good feed backed them.

Watch it though, he might now say its a different phone ONCE you've paid to send it back to him. I'd mention in the dispute it's a stolen phone and u need to hand it to the police but make sure u get your money first. Take pictures, photocopy and proof at all stages to back your case up

i was in o2 shop today and bought a pay as you go nano sim.
i got the sim for taking to the genious bar tom as my sim is a micro.
the phone was showing 2 bars so i rang my s3 and it started ringing.
i am a bit lost as i rang o2 in the shop and they said the imei is locked.
i have opened a case and it was the last day tom, so imade an appointment
with genious knowing they wouldnt change the phone.
i had to try as i could not afford another phone for the wife.

im going into genious tom im booked at halve one,im going to
say the wifi keeps messing me around anyone any other ideas.

i dont want to keep this phone as i think there is something weird going on.

thanks everyone im realy hoping this phone still has a sygnal tom.

how were you putting micro sims into it mate if it takes nano sims and you didnt have any, did you cut your micro sims down yourself to try them, maybe you didnt cut them correctly.

Do the 2 contract sims work in other phones?

how were you putting micro sims into it mate if it takes nano sims and you didnt have any, did you cut your micro sims down yourself to try them, maybe you didnt cut them correctly.

hi big-hol

i bought a nano out of o2 so they could check the no sygnal.if my micro sim in my s3 would of fitted i would of just used it :)

Last edited:
Do the 2 contract sims work in other phones?

yes kryton

a couple of hrs after getting phone i went to my mates.i know nothing about the iphone 5 and he has one.we tried his sim and his wifes sim from her 4s.
they are both contract and i walked all around where i live trying to make calls with there sims.i couldnt get any bars whatsoever worried now when i go tom incase the sygnal vanishes with the payg sim in.

hi big-hol

i bought a nano out of o2 so they could check the no sygnal.if my micro sim in my s3 would of fitted i would of just used it.

arrr right iv just had another read of 1st post, so you tried your friends nano sim in and it didnt work, but then tried the payg sim you have bought and that worked, hmmm, what they might have done is paid the bill for another month to get it back working for you, then you may well be in the same situation next month if they dont pay there contract, personally mate stick with your ebay dispute and get your money as its a minefield buying new phones which are on contracts as they can be switched off at any point, maybe not straight away it may take months, but if they dont pay there bill the phone has been linked to it gets blocked at same time, then what do you do 6 month down the line ebay wouldnt want anything to do with it and you'd have a phone thats no good.

obviously none of that might happen but is something to think about.

hope ya get the right result whatever happens pal.

Back