Humax PVR First Look

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
HDStand.jpg

Humax today unveiled earlier than expected their new Humax PVR at the IFA 2008 show, due for launch later this year.

Dubbed as the FOXSAT-HDR, it includes dual tuner, HDMI, Optical Out and 320GB HDD. The look is very similar to the existing Freeview models.

Humax reps were not saying much about the price of the unit, other than expected to be around double that of the FOXSAT-HD, so around £299 as originally thought.

humax-foxsat-hdr.gif

Specification includes:

- Freesat HD and SD channel recording
- Simultaneous viewing of one channel and recording another channel
- Receive HDTV signals (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2)
- Under 1W power consumption in standby
- HDMI - digital interface for perfect transmission of picture and sound
- Simultaneous playing of transmissions over HDMI, composite and Scart
- Easy installation and operation
- Resolution format: 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i
- DVB-S2 and DVB-S compatible
- Ethernet support
- Full colour, high resolution electronic program guide
- Dolby digital audio output (S/PDIF)
- Automatic software upgrade via satellite
- Upscaling of SDTV to HD
- Audio description / One touch subtitle
- Massive 320GB HDD

humax-foxsat-dtr.gif

hoping to get some confirmation from Humax on this information, as so far we are being told by both Freesat’s PR and Humax that they know nothing of this unveiling.

Last edited:
£300 is a lot of money :(
I will have to wait until a price drop :Cry:

I think the price wont be too bad since it includes the hdd. There arent many High Definition receivers for less than that price and I dont think any cheaper models include the hdd for under £300. No doubt they will come down over time but these are gonna sell like icecreams in 40 degree summer for quite a while.
This £300 spread over the many many future years of telly is good value imho. HD will grow on satellite, as will the extra functions of freesat, but the best thing will be that all your recordings will be YOURS -watch when you want forever without having to keep paying sky for the privelidge.
My money is on John upgrading as soon as they are out :)

Thinking more about price, I think Metronic may be the ones who introduce a low budget HD with pvr. Maybe a single tuner HD version like with freeview, priced under £200. Alba will probably offer something next year too, so all 3 freesat manufacturers will cover all budgets. If there was a Metronic single tuner ~199 ; Alba twin-tuner ~250 ; Humax twin-tuner ~299 -I bet the Humax will still get a big slice of sales!

I will be getting the humax me thinks, the boss has already given me authorisation...lol She said I thought it would cost that much.

My money is on John upgrading as soon as they are out :)

LOL you know me to well m8 :)

I do want one big time,no question there :proud: I agree £300 isn't that much when compared everything there after is free and the features it has,
but like a lot of people it is a lot when you have a family (of 5)

but I dare say I will be selling a fair few bits on ebay that I don't use anymore to pay for it :banana:

EDIT: just seen the other posts .... I will deffo be opting for the Humax over other makes as IMO its far better built that the alba range

Last edited:
couple more piccys :)

Front Flap Open... Do I see A Card Slot And USB ?
OpenFlap.jpg

Rear View.... Why 3 Screw In Connectors ?
BackView.jpg

The HDMI is plugged in, in the back

I think the 3 F's becuase some countrys use F to connect to the TV so 2 F's for two tuners and the 3rd F for the link to the TV or to a distribution block for non HDMI TV's

looks neat wonder why the hdmi is on the front might be thats just the test box

that still dont look like a HDMI at front :err:

but Ive read Humax have comfirmed there is a USB on the back on the other side of the box

thats USB on the front, most receivers have a card slot, but its blocked up ;) maybe the camera flash reflected differently off the plastid plug in the slot

the 3 F connectors will be SAT1 input, SAT2 input, SAT1 loopthru

Am i right in thinking that the 3 screw connectors at the back are 2 inputs from LNB for the Watch 1 and record another and the 3rd is for a loop out to another reciver Does that mean that the loop out to a second reciever will enable you to watch just one transponder or will it combine the information of the 2 to enable you to have total control of what you watch on the second reciever?? reguardless what channel you are watching on the Humax. :proud: A bit like having a 3rd LNB input If you see what I mean.

So whats the odds of being able to access the recordings stored on this box over a network ?

Ideally I would like this PVR in the living room and then we able to access the recordings from anywhere else with network access.

on the site above I read November 2008 ;)

Back