how do i go about uploading a film to this site so people can download it ?

ttony

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok my films are 4.35gb and mainly copied form originals so perfect quality

i would like to share these with the people on here as it would be a nice way of giving something back and the way things are with sites being shut down and films getting harder to find.

so firstly what could i upload them to , would rapidshare be ok is is there better , when i say better i mean by it not getting taken down .

cheers would appreciate any advice ..

You'd have to break the files down so they would be manageable, imagine some one on the download and they have a meg left and the like and then your connection drops they'd need to start again.

That's why when files are split they have recovery files with them, lets say you broke it down into manageable amounts, 97 meg files, then that would the 4.5 gig divided by x of 97 gig files. then you create what's called PAR's, the PAR's are what fixes the RAR's once the user has downloaded them (if the file is broken) when you squash and transmit data then this often is the case where a packet will get lost in transit.

Other than that, then you could create your self a torrent and use some public trackers and that way you could then share the link.

Funny you mention this I was thinking of creating a private tracker and a very small web site where I could start to share the stuff I have, then got side tracked onto some thing else.

I have an FTP and you could all ways share, it's not a problem doing it that way and you can leave it on or have control over it as much as you like, but it's all about the "broken links" and should a user be downloading the connection break then it's back to the start. (that then comes back around onto rar's and par's, the ability to fix a broken file) I think there's a few down load managers that will resume a broken download.

There's also hide my ass that will allow you to upload about 400 meg so the amount of files split would not be as many as the 97 meg one's, but I defo advise on making some repair PAR's to go with the split RAR (Film in your case)

Loads of ways, public tracker might be good as that way then once some one has grabbed it then it all will help with the end user and the download speeds.

Don't forget your bottle neck with your upload, unless your on a VPN and have bypassed the bottle neck then your probs looking at about 500 k (half a meg) tops to upload, which is not bad, but add 40 gig of uploads then you'll start to max your upload out...not that it's a problem if you leave it running all the time.

If you want to pay for a VPN and get around the upload to 1.5 meg then they cost about £40.00 a quarter, you get what you pay for with VPN's (to the readers that have asked me, I will get a VPN tut done about what to look for with a VPN ISP)

Cheers

Many thanx for the reply Mowax

its really appreciated especially as you seem to be the only one that replied , well so far anyway ..:Cheers:

I have a few old machines and that lying about and that mate, Think I'll create and FTP on one of them, I do have an FTP running from the CFW on my router but it would be nice to have more control over it, found a decent program that looks promising, I'll have a look at it and see what's what with it.

Was thinking of creating a private tracker and a small web site where we could all add torrents, maybe I'll look at that option in the future.

Cheers man

Was thinking of creating a private tracker and a small web site where we could all add torrents, maybe I'll look at that option in the future.

Cheers man

Make it the near future :)
Like the sound of that :)

Great idea matey :) I'm happy to upload if you guys work something out :)

Not a problem, just emptied a 500 gig and copying over all my apps, music and files, CrossFTP looks like it's the mutts nutts like....

I still like the idea of a "private" tracker, so thinking that I'll get me thinking hat on and see what's what with creating a site, got a few machines, linux, windows and the like, got a netbook that's sitting doing nothing, an old P4 dell, and a laptop, and a desktop machine, revo etc. the netbook could be the sever as it's a nice and little fast machine.

I'll go check it out and see what I can find on the private tracker side of things. :) I know there locked down with a key which is good just need to figure out the process behind it and then we should be good to go.

FTP or tracker? decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I'm liking the look of this. I think I'll go and create a room if you want to join and give it a go.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

retrosharelogo2.png

First start

Create a Certificate and Login

The first time you start RetroShare, you have to create new Profile (technically a PGP key).
Fill in the requested details

Name: Your username
Email: the email isn't important, you can just type e.g. "xxx"
Password: choose a strong password, it protects your profile and config files
Location: Some name to identify your PC, you can later create new locations for the same profile
Click "Generate new Profile"
You will be asked to enter your chosen password once more, to validate the Profile
Retroshare should start up

Making friends

As RetroShare is a Friend to Friend network you need to explicitly add friends to be able to connect to them. Once connected with them you can chat and share files. RetroShare identifies your friends with a public PGP certificate (the one that is created with your profile). In order to connect to your friends you need to exchange your certificates.
Send Your Certificate to Friends
Click on the "Add a Friend Wizard" Button (top button on the left-hand toolbar).
Either use the "Send an Invitation by Email" function or copy the certificate manually and send it to your friends via some Chat or Email.
Remember to ask your friends to send you back their certificate.
Add Your Friends to RetroShare

When you receive your friends' certificates:
Click on the "Add a Friend Wizard" Button (top button on the left-hand toolbar) again.
Select "Enter the certificate manually"
Cut and paste their certificates into the window (only one at a time).
Click "Next" Button. A window with your friend's details will appear.
If it looks okay - Click "Finish" Button.

Remarks: The connection will not be made until BOTH friends have added each other's certificates. As you are connecting directly to your friends and not indirectly over a server, you have to make sure the ports for RetroShare are open in your firewall and forwarded in your router (see FAQ). You can connect without opening your ports, too, but it will take longer and is more unreliable. It is sufficient if either you or your friend has forwarded the ports.
Use RetroShare

Communication

Chatting with friends is very easy in RetroShare. Just double click on a name in the Friends list and the Chat window pops up. To select your chat avatar just click on the default blue avatar picture.

Chat Lobbies

If you want to chat with several of your friends at once, you can create a "Chat lobby". On the right of the Friends list select the "Chat lobbies" tab and click the green plus. If you create a private lobby, only invited friends can join, a public lobby can be joined by all your friends.
Share files

→ Main article: Filesharing

Click on the "Add Share" Button (second button from the top on the left-hand toolbar).
Select the directories you want to share. The downloads directory is shared by default
Sharing "Network wide" means not only your friends, but also their friends can download via anonymous tunnels
Sharing "Browsable" means your friends can see which files you share.
(if this is unchecked, they can find your files using the search function and download them via tunnels)
Click "Close" button.

Remarks: Your shared files will not immediately appear in the directory listing. First RetroShare has to hash the files - so it knows what you are sharing. This can take 2 minutes - 1 hour depending on how many files you are sharing.

I will get the "CrossFTP" set up as well, and have also created a room for FTP chat if you want to join in there....

Last edited:
Are you not skating on thin ice as they say? grabbing from newsgroup is bad enough but then creating and sharing your own will get you a damn site more bird!!

Back