Hertz Van Rental

leemoo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What an absolute shower of shite Hertz are!

Hired a van to pick something up. Got in, seen 60 odd miles on the dash before needing to refuel and the needle was showing just under quarter of tank.
Think great, will do what I need to do and then refuel when on way back to return the van as the garage was on route that way.
Go and do pick up, coming back through the tunnel and brak down. Look at dash, readings are saying I have fuel so can't be that.
Police have to pull me out as I'm an accident waiting to happen in the tunnel. They pull me out 100 metres as I was almost out of the tunnel when I came to a sudden stop and to my delight they bill me £88 for the pleasure.

Ok so the mechanic turns up and confirms that I am out of fuel and that the dashboard is faulty.
Open and shut case you'd think that Hertz would foot the bill as they've hired out a faulty van that has caused this mess...OH Noooooo they say its not there fault as I should have refuelled the van using there fuel card and I now have to pay the Police bill probably not to mention going over on my time.

Well...they can F*** right off the cheeky f***wits!

How can you hire out a faulty van and that caused me no amount of hassle plus hours of wasted time waiting around for a mechanic to show up and then have the cheek to say its my fault.

Con merchants to say the least!!! Beware if you are thinking of hiring from these.

They should have rented it out with a full tank of fuel.

When our car was under warranty we used to book it in at a well known car dealer and they in turn gave us a hire car. I am not kidding you, but there was just enough fuel in that car to get us to the nearest garage any detour what so ever and you was fooked. Do these companies deliberately do this on purpose knowing you are definitely going to put fuel in it, so they can syphon it off when you take it back?.

I've hired cars and vans here, in Europe and in Canada for forty years now,(never Hertz mind you), and I've never come across a company that didn't work on the "full tank out, full tank in" basis. It's the only fair method.

Very odd.

I have used enterprise a few times and they used to be full tank out full tank in. But the last time it was just a quarter of a tank. I asked and they said it was costing them too much. I don't see how as they charge extra for fuel if they have to fill it up . As said it is the fairest and most sensible way.

I think they only give you a bit of fuel as you waste your time that your paying to hire the van to go and fill there van up. So if it takes 15 mins to go and fill up and get back to where you started that is 15 minutes you have taken of your time of hiring the van. They hire these vans out by the hour you see.

Anyway I've had a result from them. They have got back to me to say they will pay the towing fee and reimburse me for the hire of the van since it was my first time. But they say that they have examined the van and can't find any fault although I know, and the mechanic that came out to me knows that there was and obviously still is an issue with the van.
So this is going to happen to some other poor bugger who hires this specific van.

Back