help on install

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have got my athlon back to life after hours of fecking about i have installed directx9 and installed alied assult/ and breakthrough did not bother with spearhead installed no cd patch for breakthrough but the game will not run loads up the screen with what its checking before it loads and then just goes to the grey screen and hangs up then i have to reset on restart every time nortons reports a error in a temp file am i missing something it worked first time when i installed it before ???????

Hi Damage, I just took a look at the EA Games website faq page,
The only similar fault is ...
"When I try and run my game the screen goes black and nothing happens"

EA's Answer

"Firstly, make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements for the game in question. In order to do this, please check the back of the game box.

If your PC meets all of these requirements, you may need to update the version of DirectX that you are using (please click here for a full explanation of what DirectX is). Contained on the game CD is a version of DirectX which will be the most up-to-date version at time of release of the game. However, these may not always be the most recent as DirectX is continually being updated. For example, if you are playing one of our older games, such as one of our "Classic" releases, you may need to download the latest version of Direct X from the internet. DirectX can be downloaded from Microsoft's website by clicking here.

You will need to update the drivers for your video card and/or sound card in order to make them compatible with the latest version of DirectX. In order to do this you will need to download the latest drivers from your manufacturer's website. For advice on updating drivers, please click here.

Finally, you may need to change the resolution that your desktop is set to. To change your desktop resolution, right click anywhere on your desktop and select Properties. Now click on the Settings tab and adjust the "Screen Area" slider bar to 800 x 600. Click on apply, then confirm that you want to keep the new resolution. Now try to run the game again."

Hope this helps

Reagards

WaVeY :Bounce:

thx m8 think it could be my vid card drivers as i comply with all the rest got it to run after about 5 resets but a bit jurky i don't think that it was due to lag either . even though there was some lag at the end of the game also haveing to use a cheap old compaq keyboard as well i will try the vid card drivers

Did you have your graphics card working ok with directx 9 the last time?
Are you still running 98?

I remember someone posting they could not even get their PC to work with 98 & directx 9. Let alone play such a game :)

If you had an earlier version of directx last time, why not try the version from the game disks.

hummmmmm good idea m8 but from what i can tell there is only one safe way to get back to 8 from 9 and thats to re-format not sure if i installed windows over the top if it would revert back there Are some un-installers around but from what i have read they are very risky i did have directx9 installed before on this system when i had the game running

Ahh well :) if you already had directx 9 it must me something else that has changed??

Back