DS (original) Help fixing a Pokemon Diamond DS game cartridge?

Taru foosk

Inactive User
Reaction score
The gold strip has some damage to it - I've tried cleaning it with some cotton buds but to no avail. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.

Attachments

• DSC_0170.jpg
    DSC_0170.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Is that right through the gold, and copper beneath, or is there still some contamination?

For it to look like that I'm guessing there are some deep grooves in the pads.

If it gets a lot of use then any fix won't be as durable as the original.

Is that right through the gold, and copper beneath, or is there still some contamination?

For it to look like that I'm guessing there are some deep grooves in the pads.

If it gets a lot of use then any fix won't be as durable as the original.

I think it's gone through on one of the small tiles between the grooves, but the rest it just seems to be very light scratches or bits of dirt etc.

I think it's gone through on one of the small tiles between the grooves, but the rest it just seems to be very light scratches or bits of dirt etc.

Have you used a mild solvent? Surgical spirit is quite good. Don't use acetone though :).

I'd personally try coating the problem pads with a thin layer of solder, but that won't be an easy, or durable, repair.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, I'll have a think too.

Think before doing anything I would check the slot on the DS. I thought about tinning the pads as well and wicking off any excess, but like @Spectre I can't see a lasting repair. Wondered if a home diy electrolysis setup could replace the gold with copper?

Much simpler if you have the skills would be using an old/cheap/otherwise broken cartridge and swap the rom. Never seen inside one so unsure what is actually inside. How much is a replacement?

Think before doing anything I would check the slot on the DS. I thought about tinning the pads as well and wicking off any excess, but like @Spectre I can't see a lasting repair. Wondered if a home diy electrolysis setup could replace the gold with copper?

Much simpler if you have the skills would be using an old/cheap/otherwise broken cartridge and swap the rom. Never seen inside one so unsure what is actually inside. How much is a replacement?

I saw an electrolysis kit for re-doing the gold plating somewhere recently but I'm guessing it's not cheap and not so easy to do.

I think there is a battery backup SRAM in there for saves, not sure if that is important. I might be wrong, never seen in one either :).

Back