Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

hd .mkv to xbox 360 compatible hd .mp4 ..

problems again...

ok so converted "the 300" and unticked split file as using an external drive for playback. 360 shows the file with a bid red cross through it because its an mp4. also windows media player wont play it on pc..

tried renaming to .avi but still shows in 360 as 300.avi.mp4

anybody else having same problem??

jim

that's kind of why i posted it up m8, it's new to me as well lol

try it without splitting the file, if the file is too big at the end try an mp4 splitter like YAMB

it's working fine here i'm not ticking or unticking anything just load the file and convert, like i say the only prob is getting 360 to read files over and including 4.00 gigs (just dvd?). i'll get me a usb to ide convertor and have a bash at wot marra says :)

*@pacman, are u getting a black screen or a red cross when u try to use the file? or just not seeing it?

Sorry im a bit late getting back to you guys (poxy notification not working ??)

I am not seeing it in the 360 or the ps3 ??.

Also i did untick the split option.

ok so converted "the 300" and unticked split file as using an external drive for playback. 360 shows the file with a bid red cross through it because its an mp4. also windows media player wont play it on pc..

tried renaming to .avi but still shows in 360 as 300.avi.mp4

anybody else having same problem??

jim

it will show as red cross if the file is on or above exactly 4.00 gig, there's no need to rename it

if the file needs splitting into three tick both boxes (split and fit) ;)

Sorry im a bit late getting back to you guys

I am not seeing it in the 360 or the ps3 ??.

Also i did untick the split option.

if ur streaming via windows media player u need to enable mp4 sharing in the settings of wmp

Last edited:
Ill give that a go then !!.

This might sound dumb ? how do you change that setting in media player 11 on vista ultimate ??

Last edited:
i'll re do it, thanks.

but if im playing on a macdrive formatted drive, and all my 8 gig plus hd movies work how come mp4 doesnt??

daft!!

jim

Try renaming the .mp4 file name to .avi, it has worked for mkv converted movies i stream from my nas server.

Just need to sort out the 4gb file limit now.

Last edited:
I normally just download HD-WMV for my HDTV movies but I saw a copy of National Treasure 2 on Usenet so i decided to grab it and convert it with this tool.

This was the exact release I grabbed "National.Treasure.Book.of.Secrets.2007.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-ESiR.mkv", when i tried to convert it I got a message telling me something was incompatible and it offered to encode the file in MPEG2, so i clicked OK, after about 3 hours it finally stopped encoding and gave me 2 large mpeg files, my pc will play these no problem but my 360 doesn't even see them - they are added to my share list etc.

What did i do wrong?

2 large mpeg files, my pc will play these no problem but my 360 doesn't even see them - they are added to my share list etc.

What did i do wrong?

what size are the files m8?

also, it's very rare you have to encode. normally it's done in about half an hour (4.7gig file) it depends on the file size

Last edited:
what size are the files m8?

also, it's very rare you have to encode. normally it's done in about half an hour (4.7gig file) it depends on the file size

It split it into two 3.5Gb files mate, it gave me some sort of error at the beginning (i wish i had paid more attention) then it went on and did all sorts of conversions then spat out 2 mpeg2 (vob) files.

The initial file was a in a 4.5Gb mkv container with 5.1 audio.

i have something that can play mkv throuh windows media player if thats what you need.

Do you mean for playing on Windows mate?

I can play mkv on WMP11 and VLC.

I tried TVersity but the resulting video was fooking terrible, it downsampled it to worse then VCD quality :)

[update]

I just recreated the error, as soon as i loaded up the film for conversion i got this error popup...

THIS AVC FILE IS NOT PLAYABLE ON PS3 OR 360 - SETTING MPEG2 OUTPUT TO CONVERT TO PLAYABLE FORMAT

Looks like it was just that particular movie, I'm currently converting 'Cloverfield' and it's converting great :)

Last edited:
It split it into two 3.5Gb files mate, it gave me some sort of error at the beginning (i wish i had paid more attention) then it went on and did all sorts of conversions then spat out 2 mpeg2 (vob) files.

ok. i've never used the encoder bit on it, i just deleted those ones as i couldn't be arsed to wait lol. think i'll give the encoder a miss :) cfield is a beauty, if a slight rob

Do you mean for playing on Windows mate?

I can play mkv on WMP11 and VLC.

I tried TVersity but the resulting video was fooking terrible, it downsampled it to worse then VCD quality :)

[update]

I just recreated the error, as soon as i loaded up the film for conversion i got this error popup...

THIS AVC FILE IS NOT PLAYABLE ON PS3 OR 360 - SETTING MPEG2 OUTPUT TO CONVERT TO PLAYABLE FORMAT

Looks like it was just that particular movie, I'm currently converting 'Cloverfield' and it's converting great :)

mine is a codec, you install it and thats it, movie plays all the time. so you can play it through ya xbox too.

mine is a codec, you install it and thats it, movie plays all the time. so you can play it through ya xbox too.

Not sure I follow you mate.

You install a codec on your pc and it allows your 360 to play the files over a network?

Not sure I follow you mate.

You install a codec on your pc and it allows your 360 to play the files over a network?

instead of using a program to convert mkv files to summit else to play them, i use a codec that lets it play without being converted. unless ive understood you wrong. i am thinking that you use a program to convert mkv files so you can play them.

Yes mate, the Xbox 360 doesn't support mkv so i need to either convert the entire movie or Transcode it on the fly.

My windows plays mkv fine, the xbox 360 needs the files converted.

You do realise that this thread is about converting mkv to play on a 360 or PS3 mate, it's not about playing mkv on a pc :)

Back