having some troubles :/

big-ron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all i dont know much about bikes, so ill try to tell it how it is.

My aprilia rs 125 53 plate starts and ticks over great, but wen i rev it. when i twist the accelerator nothing happens then it does.
(sometimes its dies on me) , we have check all the pipes and look ok?
it sound like its pulling in air some where. or could it be the coil?
i have drian the tank and clean fuel in.
new plug.

my bother inlaw took carb off and cleaned reset it.

thanks

it sounds like its pulling in air some where. or could it be the coil?

Do you mean you hear this, or are guessing at possible cause. ?

If you hear it, but not sure where from, try holding a strip of tissue etc next to likely areas (inlet manifold etc).
Worked for me in the past.

A quick spray of WD40 over ignition does no harm either, timing may also be involved.

Sorry to be vague, but don't know that machine very well.

Do you mean you hear this, or are guessing at possible cause. ?

If you hear it, but not sure where from, try holding a strip of tissue etc next to likely areas (inlet manifold etc).
Worked for me in the past.

A quick spray of WD40 over ignition does no harm either, timing may also be involved.

Sorry to be vague, but don't know that machine very well.

thanks danforth, just a guess, been having a look on the net for any kind of help, just not sure what to do now? if i take it a shop, it could cost me a bomb, when its something simple??? the fuel must be getting in ok as its ticking over fine, but just when up go to rev it, it trys to cut out, as if not enough fuel in it. if that makes sense.

Usual problem is trying determine whether fuel or ignition. If it ticks over, basic ignition is ok, so apart from possible timing problem,
fuel starvation seems most likely, as you suspect. You know it's getting there when ticking over, is there a fuel filter anywhere ?
You mention carb, so assume not fuel injection. Float chamber needle valve sticking ? Fixed jet carbs can be difficult to clean because of
very narrow passageways, how thorough is brother in law ? Could also take pipe off carb to check fuel flow.
Air lock in tank, due to breather blockage ? Try taking fuel cap off. Wouldn't think immediate effect from that though.

Did this happen suddenly, or just get worse over time ? May help to decide whether fuel or ignition.
Sticking / bent inlet valve can also cause this, but usually ok after initial stall / restart?.

Vague again, there may be an expert along shortly, someone else may know a common cause on that machine, will have a look on the net also.

Bit of looking around, realized that early was a 2 stroke--Doh ! Sticking inlet valve obviously rubbish suggestion, though rest apply.

Only 2 stroke experience is with lawn movers, no insult intended. Unless 2 strokes have drastically changed, crankcase air seal integrity
is vital, shaft oil seals etc. Would have thought, starting and tick over would be most affected. Does it die if you open the throttle more
gradually ? Will keep on looking.

There's a "sticky" at the head of this section by "dutcho".

Post no.2 has a link in it for free download of service / repair manuals.

Follow the link, looks like your bike is in there.

If you haven't already, download it for info, should help.

There's a "sticky" at the head of this section by "dutcho".

Post no.2 has a link in it for free download of service / repair manuals.

Follow the link, looks like your bike is in there.

If you haven't already, download it for info, should help.

cheers,
yes mate got that, my bother inlaw looking at, will hope so :/

abit of an up date, the intake of the manifold has got some cracks in it, could that be part of the problem? and if so, is there any kind of heat resistant silicone that i could cover it with as an temp fix.

abit of an up date, the intake of the manifold has got some cracks in it, could that be part of the problem? and if so, is there any kind of heat resistant silicone that i could cover it with as an temp fix.

Probable, unless just hairline, which will only get worse . Temporary repair should find out, but depends on how hot it gets.
Not sure about silicone, never used the heat resistant type. Silicone is difficult to clean off, if it doesn't work.

If it gets very hot, you could try exhaust paste, though that needs heat to cure.

Epoxy resin is a better alternative to try, sets faster, any type should last long enough to find out if that's the problem.

Medium term solution is J B Weld epoxy (ok up to 550 fahrenheit), or similar, look on the bay.

Probable, unless just hairline, which will only get worse . Temporary repair should find out, but depends on how hot it gets.
Not sure about silicone, never used the heat resistant type. Silicone is difficult to clean off, if it doesn't work.

If it gets very hot, you could try exhaust paste, though that needs heat to cure.

Epoxy resin is a better alternative to try, sets faster, any type should last long enough to find out if that's the problem.

Medium term solution is J B Weld epoxy (ok up to 550 fahrenheit), or similar, look on the bay.

cheers :)

Could you not use exhaust tape?

i will try get some tomorrow, never thought of tape doh! its only to see if that is the probelm, i hope so, then i will try to get one of b-bay :)

If you are talking about the the rubber carb mount, there is self bonding adhesive tape You can buy from car parts shops that sets solid after about 10 minutes and is works under hot conditions. Hope that helps, used back in My yam rd days.

My aprilia rs 125 53 plate starts and ticks over great, but wen i rev it. when i twist the accelerator nothing happens then it does.
(sometimes its dies on me) , we have check all the pipes and look ok?
it sound like its pulling in air some where. or could it be the coil?
i have drian the tank and clean fuel in.
new plug.

Just reread Your first post.

Is this an intermittent fault? If so it is likely to be electrical fault, have You changed plug caps or sprayed with servisol? could be failing ht leads or coil. Also have You cleaned the air filter?

If not intermittent have You decoked the exhaust and cleaned the baffles, check for holes in the exhaust an if there is any fill will liquid steel putty until you can replace.
I take it You haven't had the engine in bits at all? If Yes did you fit new gaskets?

If I think of anything else I'll add.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the the rubber carb mount, there is self bonding adhesive tape You can buy from car parts shops that sets solid after about 10 minutes and is works under hot conditions. Hope that helps, used back in My yam rd days.

thanks for all your help guys

Just reread Your first post.

Is this an intermittent fault? If so it is likely to be electrical fault, have You changed plug caps or sprayed with servisol? could be failing ht leads or coil. Also have You cleaned the air filter?

If not intermittent have You decoked the exhaust and cleaned the baffles, check for holes in the exhaust an if there is any fill will liquid steel putty until you can replace.
I take it You haven't had the engine in bits at all? If Yes did you fit new gaskets?

If I think of anything else I'll add.

thanks sneaker, well after passing my cbt yesterday :) i was going to fit the new coil and cap. i thought stuff it, i got the bike out started up, put my lid on, got about half hr on the bike then dies me with the same thing as above, when reving or tiring to. it going tits up, so i think today ill change the coil and cap and see where i go.

by the way i didnt do anything with the inlet manifold, there are cracks in it, to today when i take tank off to change coil and cap ill have a good look at.
have not cleaned any baffles would not know now to mate :/, exhaust looks new and mint condition

thanks sneaker, well after passing my cbt yesterday :) i was going to fit the new coil and cap. i thought stuff it, i got the bike out started up, put my lid on, got about half hr on the bike then dies me with the same thing as above, when reving or tiring to. it going tits up, so i think today ill change the coil and cap and see where i go.

by the way i didnt do anything with the inlet manifold, there are cracks in it, to today when i take tank off to change coil and cap ill have a good look at.
have not cleaned any baffles would not know now to mate :/, exhaust looks new and mint condition

The baffle is usually at the end of the exhaust can. and can be taken out with a nut or screw to clean.
To clean out the exhaust fully, bung up one end and fill with strong caustic soda mix and leave over night.
this should break down the carbon build up.

but from what You've described, the bike just cutting out defo sounds like an electric fault, could be coil, cdi or ht leads breaking down. best I can offer, as I'm not an expert.

Last edited:
I've had a few more thoughts.

The first one was it could have something to do with the engine cut switch, maybe worth spraying with servisol ,or wd.

My second thought was the side stand switch, on my bike if the side stand is down the bike cuts out on exel.
Is this the same on aprillias? if so might be worth cleaning the side stand switch.

Last edited:
will just change the ht lead and coil, having a cuppa as its cold up here in newcastle :) then going to give it a go, will back back to you's :) thanks again. i looked at the side stand, looks ok.

If it ran ok for half an hour, suggest inlet manifold cracks need attention, but not your main problem right now.

Sneaker knows more than I do, so I'll butt out at this point.

Keep us informed though, be interested in the solution. :)

ok futher update, sorry for the delay as i was pissed off yesterday, went out on the bike, started up as normal... great,
took her out pulling fine, then about 20 mins if that, dies on me :( she wouldnt even turn over this time. so put bike away went training to release some anger :). thats it. i think ill leave it for now and go back the wkend with my head fresh.

ok futher update, sorry for the delay as i was pissed off yesterday, went out on the bike, started up as normal... great,
took her out pulling fine, then about 20 mins if that, dies on me :( she wouldnt even turn over this time. so put bike away went training to release some anger :). thats it. i think ill leave it for now and go back the wkend with my head fresh.

Been re-reading the posts. Which manual are you looking at ?

The one I found (and downloaded) is for RS 125 Repair Manual 2002, nearest your year. It's very comprehensive, in english, loads of pictures, and a trouble shooting guide. For reference, it's the 29th down the list, around 19 meg. Are we looking at the same one, and is it your bike ?

You were going to change the "coil and cap", not sure what you mean by cap, did you do it ?

By cap, do you mean CDI unit (capacitor discharge ignition) ?

hi danforth,

(the cap) i mean is the plug cap. have not change the cdi unit yet as its a little pricey at the min :/.
the manual i have is Aprilia_Rs125_Service_Repair_Workshop_Manual_1993-2003 which is 14mb.
i cant remember where i got it from now? sry
but i have booked mark this page something.

Untitled Document

Back