Happy and stressed

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
I started renovating both my living room and kitchen last week, both my kitchen and living room is a tip dust everywhere holes in the ceilings, wire hanging down , thought I could get it all done in two weeks just before the baby was due (9th Aug) as it happens the little nipper decided to come out on Friday I am well chuffed he weighed 5.14 lbs.:) I now have the task of getting every thing done in two weeks in the house. The misses and the boy will be staying at her mums whilst I will be staying at home. Before I started the project I thought I can do most things myself , like chase the walls for first fix electrical in the kitchen ( now I know why sparkies charge so much as its ****ing hard work) rip up the existing carpet in the living room, take off the existing wall tiles and floor tiles, strip out the kitchen , pipe work mods in the kitchen everything else like plastering , electrical, and kitchen fit will be done by others. I'm regretting ever starting this now, but it's too late to turn back now.

Here is my programme of works for the next two weeks :

w/c 30/7/13

Monday - Chase out approx 15lm of solid brick work for electrical conduits , 25mm depth (me)
Monday- take up living room carpet incl underlay - 7m x 3.5m (me)
Monday - Trip to the dump

Tuesday - finish of stripping off existing wall paper and coving to living room ( me)
Tuesday - rip out sink (me)
Wednesday - plaster living room (by others)
Wednesday-Pipe work mod in kitchen (by others)
Wednesday - 2nd fix electrical in kitchen , install two new sockets in living room (by electrician)
Thursday - finish re wiring kitchen and spotlights to living room (by others)
Thrsday - box in exposed pipework in kitchen (by others)
Thursday- plaster kitchen and finish plastering living room (by others)
Friday-screed kitchen 3mx4m (by others)
Friday - Install new front door (by others)
Friday - put up new coving in living room and kichen (BY ohers)
Saturday- rip out existing carpet to stairs (me)
Sunday mist coat kitchen (me)
Sunday, start mis coating Living room (me)
Monday start installing new kitchen units ( by others)
Monday - finish miscoating living room (me)
Tuesday- Install new skirting to living room (by others)
Tuesday - Ply out kitchen and install laminate flooring (by others)
Wednesday, start final finish paint to living room (me)
Thursday - Finish kitchen install (by others)
Friday - finish decorations (me)
Saturday build false chimney
Sunday -decorate false chimney
Monday- new carpet to stairs and living room

do you guys think its achievable?

Last edited:
I would recommend concentrating on one room at a time that way at least some of the downstairs is usable, this advice is from experience !!
Something always turns up that means work on one thing has to stop until that has been rectified and then that can't get rectified because such and such is booked to something else and so it goes on.

Its doable, but you are going to have dust settling for at least 3 weeks after you finish.

Believe me I did almost the same thing as you mate, with moving into my new house I wanted to AV the place lol.

For the babies sake hire a industrial dust extractor mate, the last thing you want is the little one coming home to dust, and the MRS moaning about it lol... as stress levels will go up for you all lol.

The other thing is nothing is ever straightforward when opening things up and finding problems on the way lol.

But I am sure you will give it your best shot mate.

Regards
Mick

if the "others" all turn up and do there bit it should be doable. but its tight lol . could your mrs and new addition stay a bit longer at the in laws if something goes wrong ? if you arrange that now then at least you`ll have a plan B .
the only thing i`ve found is the more you stress the longer things will take. believe me , been in the building trade over 25 years. just make sure the trades do what they say there gonna do on the specific days
good luck pal

2 weeks in ,programme out the window but I see the finishing line. :) im hoping everything complete by the end of next week. One trade letting me down is the kitchen fitter, first he hung the wall units which didnt match the base units so he had to take them down and realign them. Check the pictures out below and tell me what I should do. Normally at work I would deduct money for any **** ups . Where he battened out a unit, you could see the screw gone right through and chipped the unit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376600092023.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376600092023.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376600132900.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376600132900.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376600163141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376600163141.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
2 weeks in ,programme out the window but I see the finishing line. :) im hoping everything complete by the end of next week. One trade letting me down is the kitchen fitter, first he hung the wall units which didnt match the base units so he had to take them down and realign them. Check the pictures out below and tell me what I should do. Normally at work I would deduct money for any **** ups . Where he battened out a unit, you could see the screw gone right through and chipped the unit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Tell him you want that unit replaced, he has damaged it so he is responsible. As for the re-alignment part not really a lot to be said unless they are still not matching up, as it has cost him extra in time doing the re-alignment.

Back