Flipping Telly Licence.

last tv wife at my door guys gerrrr was a bit slow opend the door (TV volume off) and she whispered i'm from the tv place bla bla you don't have a licence

my reply was that's ok no need to whisper flower i dont have a tv and work away all the time , and she left sorted :)

Licence what's that pmsl :)

last tv wife at my door guys gerrrr was a bit slow opend the door (TV volume off) and she whispered i'm from the tv place bla bla you don't have a licence

my reply was that's ok no need to whisper flower i dont have a tv and work away all the time , and she left sorted :)

Licence what's that pmsl :)

Wish I'd seen this post before I slapped the guy with a lump of 2x3... he mentioned downloads and I lost it ;)

The TV licence is like a Christmas tradition for me now. Each year I pay this hefty amount, I am not as strong as you guys (lol) that dont pay. I just really dont want the hassle of them knocking on my door, or sending those formal letters.

Each year I pay this hefty amount.

That hefty amount works out at a tad under 40p a day over a year

Compare that with the genuinely hefty amounts that people shell out to Branson and Murdoch.

Some people just don't know when they're well off. :xmas:

TV licensing knocked Thursday night (8.30 pm) and I got caught, so went online next day and decided to pay monthly by DD, looks at my bank acc on Monday and they've only taken the full amount £145.50, Twats.:Chainsaw:

I get you point. But thing is we have pay the TV lienace and then also pay (optional) for Sky or Virgin. I am not against paying the amount, as it keeps BBC ad free

Well if crappy channel 5 is free, I think the bbc can do it and save us money.

TV licensing knocked Thursday night (8.30 pm) and I got caught, so went online next day and decided to pay monthly by DD, looks at my bank acc on Monday and they've only taken the full amount £145.50, Twats.:Chainsaw:

under the direct debit guarantee i would get that back asap. they are only allowed to take the agreed amount on the specified date or later. they are allowed to amend if they contact you first and agree.
give the bank a call

Well if crappy channel 5 is free, I think the bbc can do it and save us money.

I'm not sure you've thought this one out.

#A Channel Five is crap. Really crap.

#B Channel Five is financed by adverts. Not good.

#C Channel Five output v. Total BBC output. TV/Radio/Online. Have a think about it.

Yes I know that, but if channel 5,4,3 can do it for free with adverts, so can the bbc.

I don't even bother watching the channel or radio,but still pay a tv license.

The whole idea of the BBC is it does not have adverts, personally I think its worth it. The programming on the BBC is infinitely better that the standard terrestrial channels!!

I wonder how many people who actually complain spend £60+ a month on Sky which also has adverts, so you have to pay to watch adverts. Great idea that.

How did you get caught? You must have guessed they would eventually come knocking, did you let them in and show them your telly? From all videos i have watched it says do not let them enter.

This may help others who do not wish to pay or have a tv.

under the direct debit guarantee i would get that back asap. they are only allowed to take the agreed amount on the specified date or later. they are allowed to amend if they contact you first and agree.
give the bank a call
For what it's worth; if you don't already have a licence they do take a year up front - irrespective of circumstances (e.g. whether you're new to the address or have been caught without a licence).

Over the next 12 months they will also take the agreed Direct Debit to cover a licence in a year's time.

The whole idea of the BBC is it does not have adverts, personally I think its worth it. The programming on the BBC is infinitely better that the standard terrestrial channels!!

I wonder how many people who actually complain spend £60+ a month on Sky which also has adverts, so you have to pay to watch adverts. Great idea that.

:goodpost:

Says it all really. People pay silly money to Sky and Virgin for umpteen channels of dross that they never watch, moan about the cost, and then complain about the BBC License fee.

Get real ffs!

Yes I know that, but if channel 5,4,3 can do it for free with adverts, so can the bbc.

Oh c'mon. You can't just say "Yes I know that, but.." and then basically agree with the points I made. We're talking about quality versus crap and adverts versus the lack of them.

For what it's worth; if you don't already have a licence they do take a year up front - irrespective of circumstances (e.g. whether you're new to the address or have been caught without a licence).

Over the next 12 months they will also take the agreed Direct Debit to cover a licence in a year's time.
Hmm, looks like they've changed the rules since I moved into my place...

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/payment-methods/direct-debit-pay1 said:
Monthly You'll usually pay for your first licence within six months, in instalments of around £24 per month. (If we have to spread the cost into four or five monthly instalments, each payment may be slightly higher). From then on, you pay for your licences in 12 monthly instalments of just over £12 - six before your licence is due and six after.
The wording I've highlighted in red is a little weasely, but I think you may have been charged the year up front because you've been caught.

Did they email you a receipt when you set up the DD? It should state on that what you've "agreed" to.

How did you get caught? You must have guessed they would eventually come knocking, did you let them in and show them your telly? From all videos i have watched it says do not let them enter.

This may help others who do not wish to pay or have a tv.

I gave him my name at the door, then realised who he was and shut the door, then went online to buy one monthly but they took the whole amount £145.50.

BBC is such a unique institution and what they offer - Radio, Online, iPlayer, TV, eLP, so much content, all top notch without adverts.

i'd PAY the money again for advert-less TV!

I don’t like the way they keep quiet about the changes in the law:

“The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards, TV dealers are no longer required to notify TV Licensing when they sell or rent out TV equipment.”

I bought a new TV from curry’s pc world a few months ago and they insisted I give them my name and address or they wouldn’t sell me the TV.

I don’t like the way they keep quiet about the changes in the law:

“The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1967 (as amended) has been repealed meaning that from 25 June 2013 onwards, TV dealers are no longer required to notify TV Licensing when they sell or rent out TV equipment.”

I bought a new TV from curry’s pc world a few months ago and they insisted I give them my name and address or they wouldn’t sell me the TV.

I bought my son one for xmas, got asked last week. That's just Curry's being complete shite

Back