external hard drive read only problem

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, iv got a 500gb buffalo external hard drive, and over the last few days it has become read only, so i cant delete things or copy things to it, iv tried it in another laptop and it reads and writes fine and i was able to delete files from it, yet on my laptop i cannot do this, iv also got a 1tb external hard drive that can read and write fine its only the 500gb 1 that wont work.

anyone got any ideas how to fix this issue, cant even format it as it says read only.

the only things iv been messing with lately was android sdk program so i could install a custom rom on my new phone, and i followed some guides to stuff i didnt really understand, maybe iv done something while changing settings and things im really not sure. but from what i was following i wasnt changing anything for the hard drive.

any input on how to make this hard drive writeable again greatly appreciated!

try it in an elevated command prompt (open it up as administrator)

then try:

select disk <x>
select volume <x>
attr disk clear readonly
attr volume clear readonly

you will need to do list disk and list volume to get the ID's

Last edited:
still just the same bud, appreciate the help like, but are fighting a lost cause here lol!

I'm waiting for pob to post something eloquent and mind blowing which fixes everything ;)

This is technically what you should see:

external-disk-read-only-ok-1.png

iv just went through all them stages in the pic you posted and it done everyone no problem, looked exactly the same each stage, however now it doesnt show up in my computer, but shows in disk management fine! any ideas now mate!

can you see it in the other laptop>

does it have a drive letter assigned in Disk Management, if not can you assign one?

Last edited:
can you see it in the other device?

does it have a drive letter assigned?
not sure where you mean mate!

EDIT: sorted i think, delete button back there now when i right click, just needed to assign it a drive letter like you said mate, ill test it now make sure i can read and write fine

yip back up and running mate, much appreciated for the help, wondering what happened to it now though as iv never messed on with anything to do with that, but its back up and sorted now mate so thanks, will leave ya some rep now ;)

I'm waiting for pob to post something eloquent and mind blowing which fixes everything ;)

To be honest, the only thing I'd have suggested is running CHKDSK /r or CHKDSK /f (depending on whether bad sectors were expected) - but I doubt it would have fixed the problem.

@BIG-HOL do you "safely eject" your external drives? I never used to until losing some downloads stored on a pen drive. Not too painful as I just re-download them, but time wasting all the same.

@BIG-HOL do you "safely eject" your external drives? I never used to until losing some downloads stored on a pen drive. Not too painful as I just re-download them, but time wasting all the same.
sometimes i do mate sometimes i dont, guess i should start doing it now just to be on the safe side!

Back