WiFi extending range

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - i was just wondering, ive got a tp link wireless router as the main router, i get signal all over the house except one room, at the moment im using a tp link homplug in that room, i was wondering if i could buy another cheaper wireless router and instead of using the home plug in that room (always plugging the ethernet lead in and out of my laptop) i could simply plug in the ethernet lead from the homeplug into this second wireless router and use wifi in that room...will it work ?..ta

or will THIS work ?

If you have an old router lying around, you can plug that into your homeplug and set it up as a WAP.

thanks guys will look into it, did have a old wireless router lying around but binned it ages ago wish id kept it now..lol

Before buying extra gear make sure that
1) better placement of your router does not cut it
2) that your router's output power cannot be modified
if not, then
a) see if better antenna won't help you
b) make sure your second router is connected over cable, whenever possible, otherwise your wireless throughput falls a lot

The mother-in-law had the same problem and we got her one of these and for £10.49 (including postage) it does the job flawlessly. She didn't have to change her wifi login details on her ipad at all, it just extends the range of her superhub.

Really easy to setup too. Juts locate it inbetween your existing router and your dead spot.
Log into it using the supplied details, enter your existing routers wifi login details and click the button to activate the extender mode.
It resets and then you just connect using the same details as your existing router.

She's on 30mb virgin so at 300mb it is fast enough.

300Mbps Wireless-N WiFi Repeater 802.11N AP Network Range Router Extender Booster UK Plug
http://www.amazon.co.uk/300Mbps-Wir...&qid=1382273356&sr=8-9&keywords=wifi+extender

Last edited:
Back