Excellent cobra usb tutorial (copied TEXT, not made by me)

wolftje

DW Regular +
Reaction score
(I found this on ps3hax written by gliitch and I thought this to be usefull info)
Copy :

I recently recived my cobra usb, from deal extreme, only a few days ago. [took 2-3 weeks to arrive]

This will be as always an honest review. i will give an overview at the end. It will all be in sections so its as user friendly as possible.
I will cover all the fuctions that I have tried so far.

THE DONGLE ITSELF:

The dongle is slim and compact, the most athestically pleasing dongle to date. there is a switch on the side which moves left and right to the pre-labled function.
When powered on, the cobra logo lights up, which is a nice touch.
The COBRA USB has 3 functions on the dongle it self which are:

DG/stands for DOWNGRADE is on the right:
Which allows you to downgrade your ps3 to a lower firmware, although now that COBRA supports 3.55, and that the majorirty are on 3.55 anyway so i see no use for it. Also 3.41 FW support has now been discontinued.

PC is on the left side: This will allow the dongle to be upgraded to a later firmware when it is released. I did have some issues even trying to update the firmware on the device as it came with none pre installed. [windows 7 issue]

PS3 is in the middle: Once everything is up and running, you willl need to flip the tab to PS3 and insert it into the 4th port [or second if you have a slim] - i do not own a a slim so im not so sure how it works for those. You will only have to press the power button on the PS3 to activate the dongle.

l will try my upmost explain what which each file does it may seem obvious to some, but it may come in handy for others:

Cobra USB Updater - This contains a set of cobra drivers [for the pc] and the Cobra Flash.exe [which does work once youve installed it properly, ive heard that its taken people ages to update - which isnt true in my case]

COBRA USB FW- [PC SIDE]
You will need to update your dongle to the latest FW from your computer
this is where the COBRA Updater program comes into play.

COBRA 3.55 - CFW [PS3]
Cobra's own modified firmware. Which is .cba file. I thought it stood for "Cant Be Asked" XD

COBRA MANAGER - This contains the COBRA MANAGER.3.0.PKG file, which is used to run your files.

PS3Gen - Allows you to convert your Legal PS3 Backups into ISO format instead of the standard Jailbreak Format, which then can be played on the ps3, - i have not tried this as yet. It also gives you the option to split the ISO into parts, so you can use it on the FAT32 File System.

COBRA USER GUIDE: It comes in several languages ENGLISH, SPANISH and FRENCH. - it just goes though the steps of what it does, except the PC Install shows XP instead of Windows 7

[1] GETTING COBRA TO RECOGNISED BY THE PC -WINDOWS 7

For me personally this a nightmare to deal with because on the website, they only had instructions for windows XP, Anywho...

Flip the switch on the side of the dongle to the left side - where it says PC - When the dongle is first plugged in, windows will complain that the drivers can not be found. - All the files you will need can be located here:

Cobra USB - Ultimate PS3 USB solution! - Download

First extract COBRA USB UPDATER on to your desktop.

Ok, now go to My Computer - its where alll the drives are listed, from there you'll see a tab on the left handside which says Device Manager -> You'll see an "Other Devices" -> "Unrecognised Device" with a little yellow triangle, with a black explaination mark in it. [this is will be the cobra device.] click on Update Driver Software.

--> Then Browse for software on my computer - you'll need to do this manually and press the browse button. Now go to where you have unzipped the usb updater folder click on that folder it will be named "Cobra- usb updater" then go to that folder and press ok.

You'll get a warning about how its not signed by microfoft, ignore that and install it anyway. Once this is done your cobra device will be recognised by your pc.

[2] Next extract the Cobra USB FW 3.0 - which as of now is the latest
update.Place that onto the desktop. You should now have both the cobra pc fw update & the updater program on your desktop

Drag the 3.0 Cobra FW file into the the updater and let that run. It may take a while, but it will eventally say done.

[3] INSTALLING COBRAS FIRMWARE ON TO THE PS3

Unzip Cobra_CFW_3.55.zip onto the desktop and place it onto the root of a normal usb stick /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP/

Without the dongle, the firmware will revert to 3.55 OFW. So without it, its pretty much useless. You can install this Firmware on top of CFW and OFW, but you must do it via recovery mode.

The difference between this CFW and any other is that it contains a few modified files, which i wont go into, because im not so sure of how it all works.

Unlike previous versions of the Cobra dongle fw [3.41] there is now no need to press the "EJECT/POWER" combonation. The dongle can be placed into any usb port, also you can turn the ps3 on remotely with the PS3 pad and the dongle still activates. [bonus for laZy people heh, or for those ps3s which are at the end of the room.]

So really theres no need to press any button on the PS3 as long as its on standby :D Once its powered on, you can remove the dongle itself, although keeping it in is purely for convience.

[4] INSTALLING THE COBRA PKG MANGER:

Just like the case in all CFW there will be
[*] app_home/PS3_GAME/
[*] Install Package Files

in the Game Catagory.

Place the Cobra Manager.PKG on to the root of any usb stick and install from "Install Package Files" folder.

[5] MANAGER FUNCTIONS:

Allows you to play:

PSX ISO/BIN/CUE
PS2 ISO/BIN/CUE
PS3 ISO's when coverted with PS3GEN
Rips unprotected DVD's, CD-R
Legitimate PSX games/CD-R to iso format*.
Blu-Ray discs

In the settings you have options to change the following settings:

Blu-Ray Region: Default - Region A - Region B Region C
DVD Region: Default - Region A - Region B Region C
Games Launch Mode: XMB - Direct [booting from XMB has better compaibility]
PS2 games on [CECHC,CECHE, CECHA and CECHB Backwards compatible consoles - Phat ones] There is an option on slim models that have some soft of soft PS2 emulator which is very slow and buggy.

FTP Functionality. Via wireless its relatively slow. So id suggest to use OPENPS3FTP and set it up FTP via ethernet which can be found here.

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/02/how-to...speeds-100mbs/ It just makes transfering so much quicker.

[6] Cobra Folder Management:

Cobra USB Manager loads game backups from the following directories:
/dev_hdd0/GAMES
/dev_hdd0/BDRIPS
/dev_hdd0/GAMEZ
/dev_hdd0/PS3ISO (for iso backups)
/dev_usbXXX/GAMES
/dev_usbXXX/GAMEZ
/dev_usbXXX/PS3ISO (for iso backups)

And it writes game backups to:
/dev_hdd0/GAMES
/dev_hdd0/PS3ISO (for iso backups)
/dev_usbXXX/GAMES
/dev_usbXXX/PS3ISO (for iso backups)

Cobra USB Manager uses the following directories to load/write PSX backups:
/dev_hdd0/PSXISO
/dev_usbXXX/PSXISO

[7] PS2 Compatibility

Nearly every PS2 game i have tested works really well, Cobra did an amazing job in terms of playback - all the games i have tried apart from Rouge Galaxy [it did boot but only got as far as PS2 loading screen]. Apart from that one, they have all worked. tested 10 so far. also some JAP games too.

Ive used NTSC PS2 games on a PAL 60GB launch model, no problems there. The odd stutter but for only like less than split second, during a video.

PS1 Compatbility

Now this is where I really got annoyed, i tried everything i could think of to get PSX games to run, but failed everytime just point blank refused to show up on the manager.

After litterally days of trying i got lucky and tried a ripped FFVII.bin file & cue file. Which showed up on the manager. I still cant convert my own PSX ISO's so ive settled for BIN/CUE instead, with PSX games.

Once i got PSX games working, the compatiblity is on par with PS2 games. As stated in the manual on the cobra there is currently an issue with the frame rate on PSX games from other regions which are being played on naitive consoles. It plays slightly slower.

Also if you having trouble in playing .img files, change the extention to .BIN and create a seperate CUE file which is listed in the how to below.

For BIN files that do not come with CUE files you can make your own:

Startup Notepad and type:

FILE "XX.bin" BINARY
TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
INDEX 1 00:00:00

XX corresponds to the name of bin file you have. Then you'll need to make sure its all named correctly. Just copy the name of the bin file into notepad. inbetween the " " save it. Then rename the extention of the txt file to .cue You will need the BIN AND CUE File together in the PSXISO/PS2ISO directory for it to show up in the manager.
smiley.gif

DISCLESS PLAYBACK:

PS2 games work well, from all regions. In ISO, BIN/CUE Format same applies to PS1 games.

PS1 Works well too. For those who have busted BD-DRIVES just FTP the files to the corresponding folders.

PS3 I havnt tried this yet, as the way cobra rips is actually quite slow in all honesty, but im sure that will also be fixed in a later update.
Overview:

Playing PS2 games were a breeze, so no issues there, but as stated i was a bit let down on trying to get PSX games to work. Also the frame rate of PSX games from other regions, is slightly annoying as NTSC PS2 games work really well on a Phat PAL console. But hopefully the cobra team will solve these minor issues.

Once i got this working properly, i found this device to be awesome, Cobra has done an amazing job of opening up the PS3 console even more.

UPDATE:

Cobra Firmware 3.1 is out, minor release to fix bugs.
You will need to follow the steps as mentioned above, and reinstall the cobra 3.1 manager.

- Fixed stability problems. Cobra users are advised to update to this firmware as soon as possible.

- Fixed compatibility issue with Mortal Kombat.

- Fixed PAL/NTSC issues in psx games. (no more lag in FMV's ) NTSC FF7 on PAL CONSOLE :D

- Bugfix: some few specific psx titles such as Langrisser Final Edition wouldn't play in other regions.

- Fixed a possible discless bug under very rare circumstances.

- Cobra USB Manager can now understand the ".001, .002, ..." name convention used by hjsplit and other similar programs and rename them automatically to
".0, .1", name convention. Users can use hjsplit or any other similar tool to split iso files in the PC.

- Added functionality to the core to implement a cobra firmware updater in the PS3.

UPDATE 2:

Cobra Firmware v3.2 More Features and bugs fixed.

- Added support for PS2 backups in optical discs (CD-R/DVD+-R)

- PS2 original games are now region free too.

- Fixed a bug that caused incompatibility with several PS2 backups in iso format.

- Fixed some remaining PAL/NTSC problems in PSX games.

- Cobra USB Manager will output now a mds file too when dumping a dual layer DVD or PS2-DVD. This file is not used by Cobra at all, but it can be used
for burning to a dual layer DVD+-R while keeping original layer structure. This is mandatory when burning dual layer PS2 dvd's.

Have you got a link to these m8 have searched on dealextreme b ut nothing coming up ?

nice post m8 thanks :")

on the link @wolftje has posted just click onto Buy it ....

h**p://www.cobra-usb.com/buy.html

h**p://www.ozmodchips.com/cobra-usb-for-ps3-p-368.html

nice post m8 thanks :")

on the link @wolftje has posted just click onto Buy it ....

h**p://www.cobra-usb.com/buy.html

h**p://www.ozmodchips.com/cobra-usb-for-ps3-p-368.html

Thanks you!

To be honest, I own a Cobra Usb Stick but I have never used it as I would like to use it together with Rebug which is not possible... However you can install Cobra CFW 3.55 together with the latest Multiman so that is pretty nice ! The thing that makes cobra very interesting is the multitude of functionallity psx, ps2, psp, players, iso, split iso, etc... (look at the cobra site for a full list). A True blue dongle is also very interestingand you can use it with rebug ... Beware true blue dongle is getting copied. The copycats are not compatible with newer games released with TB patch. TB also codes 'bombs' into the patches so the copycat gets killed ....

this is prob a stupid ? but do you need the eboot patches to run games still with this ? and also do the games need to be in iso format?

Interesting read, how ever what about this bit below, If I'm reading this right then he's got one of these dongles and yet hasn't bothered to play a ps3 game with out a disk?

So this will allow you to downgrade a ps3, and what happens after that, I was under the impression that the scene was pretty much dead in the water.

PS3 I havnt tried this yet, as the way cobra rips is actually quite slow in all honesty, but im sure that will also be fixed in a later update.
Overview:

Hi,

I do play on Rebug CFW 3.41 but For cobra stick you need Cobra PS3 CFW and I like rebug CFW 3.41 so ...

the scene is not all dead ! There are lots of releases of games to play on 3.55 or lower firmware.
- Paradox releases patched Pkg or Full iso. You can play this with MMC manager.
- True Blue dongle releases patched Eboot encrypted for TB dongle ONLY (Suckers !) and they release a lot !
- Cobra usb is something in between. I do not use it because I'm on rebug 3.41 and i can play everything that is patched for 3.55.
>> Cobra is an usb stick with lots of utilities that actually work 100% ! You can see it as add-on on yr CFW. No patched encrypted eboot .
>> I have a second box which i will use cobra stick on so i can play PS2 iso.
Yes you do not need a higher firmware to play a game, just a good hacked Eboot.

As we speak, there is a team that hacked/reversed TB & cobra and which will certainly release code. they even hacked & released some games lately which could not be pirated at this very moment..... They claim up to firmware PS3 4.1 and higher ...

So you see, the scene is very alive but you need to know how and where !

PS :
No one with a CFW PS3 is playing from BD or DVD. Iso are split automatically when higher than 4 gb.

I nice release of reverse engineering they did was the ps3usercheat dongle : A PS3 .pkg file for CFW 3.55 providing full ps3usercheat.com

if you need some more info and links i'm happy to provide !(cos that is the problem at htis moment, they keep all this stuff quiet ...)

Last edited:
Hi,

I do play on Rebug CFW 3.41 but For cobra stick you need Cobra PS3 CFW and I like rebug CFW 3.41 so ...

the scene is not all dead ! There are lots of releases of games to play on 3.55 or lower firmware.
- True Blue dongle releases patched Eboot encrypted for TB dongle ONLY (Suckers !) and they release a lot !
- Cobra usb is something in between. I do not use it because I'm on rebug 3.41 and i can play everything that is patched for 3.55.
>> Cobra is an usb stick with lots of utilities that actually work 100% ! You can see it as add-on on yr CFW. No patched encrypted eboot .
>> I have a second box which i will use cobra stick on so i can play PS2 iso.
Yes you do not need a higher firmware to play a game, just a good hacked Eboot.

As we speak, there is a team that hacked/reversed TB & cobra and which will certainly release code. they even hacked & released some games lately which could not be pirated at this very moment..... They claim up to firmware PS3 4.1 and higher ...

So you see, the scene is very alive but you need to know how and where !

PS :
No one with a CFW PS3 is playing from BD or DVD. Iso are split automatically when higher than 4 gb.

I nice release of reverse engineering they did was the ps3usercheat dongle : A PS3 .pkg file for CFW 3.55 providing full ps3usercheat.com

if you need some more info and links i'm happy to provide !(cos that is the problem at htis moment, they keep all this stuff quiet ...)

Yes please m8 post the links i have a cobra and also a TB clone dongle but cant get either to play anything that i cant play on cfw3.55

Hi, the scene is not all dead ! There are lots of releases of games to play on 3.55 or lower firmware.
)

Think I'll be having another look at this then when I get my PS3 back, it's in getting a reball.......might be having a look for some of said releases then, it's costing me a small fortune for the reball, so it be good to use it other than a media player and get a few more newer, games.

you have this excellent site for latest ISO :

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You have this board where you can follow latest hacked eboots & releases :

Code:

Sometimes it is good to have an eye on "ps3hax & ps3 crunch board"
Still you need to keep an eye on " KaKaRoTo " Coz he seems to have something going but still is not releasing it.
then we have wololo PSP Vita half byte loader which is very interesting as he can run homebrew on Vita with certain released PSN games (you need to login on his board and be very quick to purchase as sony pulls away the games). of course psp is not ps3 but you never know what these guys are up 2.
For downloading i prefer the PKG PSN paradow releases. they released really a lot in pkg form for 3.55 and lower. Fun games ! Mostly you can find them on demonoid

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to post and that mate, well appreicated.

I was just udner the impresion that the secen had died ages ago, and I've read lots on the "TB" dongle and the like, but after what you ahve posted then it all seems as though there may be more games that work, I have the old Phat console with 3.55 and CFW on it (MultiMan) Hope to be getting it back soon from the shops and then I can add a few more games.! woot woot!

It's pretty much sat being a media streamer for a while as i never looked into getting any more games.

So really, what were saying now is with "any" ps3 and one of these dongles then they can all be downgraded and games played?

I'm just reading your post again and it's saying add the "Cobra" to port 4 or port 2, take it the Phat consoles with only 2 x USB will be fine?

Last edited:
ah...that cobra link in your 1st post is down at the minute mate?

Code:

Last edited:
Cobra is still runnin as I'm on it right now

You can downgrade any PS3 besides one slim new type of ps3. you can look this up on PS3 wiki dev.(on that site you can find everything PS3 related, And i mean everything to turn the box inside out and related like dongles, etc ...)

You can downgrade any ps3 but of course not with a dongle. If you were patient and stayed on 3.55 and lower you can flash it with a CFW.
you can downgrade any ps3 higher than 3.55 with Progskeet (nand & NOR) & E3 (only NOR). It is solderless but you have to open up your ps3 'to the bone'. And it will cost you 80-100 euros max.

The thing with PS3 games is that any game can be run on 3.41 or 3.55 firmware even if the box tells you , you need 4.1 or higher ...
Of course the games needs to be hacked (eboot) Paradox does it for free, TB encrypts the eboot so you have to buy the TB Dongle(suckers). TB is smarter than Paradox group it seems.
Paradox mainly serves PSN downloadable games which they sign with leys & hacked which will run on 3.41-3.55.

I'm sorry about the cobra thing I only have the info I posted, I have 2 phats 60gb PS2 backward, i still need to test this myself. but well when I read most posts abut cobra people are happy. As said before buy a cobra if you want all the tools of the trade without having to download and install and have PS2 ISO support.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that mate, maybe it's the VPN that i'm on here at work that's stopping me getting to that link, I'll try when I get home.

I have an old Phat machine with 3.55 CFW on it.

You can downgrade any ps3 but of course not with a dongle. If you were patient and stayed on 3.55 and lower you can flash it with a CFW.
you can downgrade any ps3 higher than 3.55 with Progskeet (nand & NOR) & E3 (only NOR). It is solderless but you have to open up your ps3 'to the bone'. And it will cost you 80-100 euros max.
So you can downgrade any machine, what do you mean "of course not with a dongle" ?? (or did you mean you can downgrade any machine but not without using the dongle?) and if your on a version higher than 3.55 you have to use Progskeet???

To be clear on the subject :

So you can downgrade any machine, what do you mean "of course not with a dongle" ?? (or did you mean you can downgrade any machine but not without using the dongle?) and if your on a version higher than 3.55 you have to use Progskeet???

It is like I said you can downgrade/flash any PS3 with a dongle like Cobra or the teensy usb dongle below and equal version original ps3 firmware 3.55 towards a modified Firmware CFW (which let you play pirated games and pirated pkg) But if you have an original PS3 firmware higher than 3.55 you will need a hardware hack as mentioned.

I know it is very difficult to grasp as there is lots of confusing info around. feel free to ask more.

Thanks mate, you have to take your time with "n00bs" like me around. :)

Right I think I'm with you, so your saying that you use the "Cobra" or the "Teensy" dongle on a 3.55 OFW machine and then you can patch it with there own CFW 3.55 to be able to play copies and backups?

This is just like putting PS3_355_KMEAW_CFW, which then allows you to load "multiman" etc to be able to play backups on a machine that has 3.55 or less OFW on it?

And then any other machine that is higher than 3.55 you will need a "hard ware" hack? which you would do by using one of the Dongles (Progskeet) ?

But if you have an original PS3 firmware higher than 3.55 you will need a hardware hack as mentioned.

This keeps confusing me you see....(It doesn't take much)

So, any machine that is on 3.55 you can flash it with CFW (Like what I have done with mine) and any machine that is above 3.55 you use one a dongle like Progskeet.....

So any machine that is above 3.55 you'll need one of these

W2LZY.jpg

**Warning*** This is a pro-modder device. Lots of soldering and research is required and we will not hold your hand, just point you towards the progskeet forums. If you are unsure about something, please ask before buying.

ProgSkeet is your one and only solution to your flashing needs. Whether it is NAND, NOR or any other kind of non-volatile memory - just solder, plug in and operate!

Blazing fast read/write speed!
Beside software-side updates, you can also expect hardware updates powered by customer requests (Injectus programmer needed)!

With a broad range of applications, such as EEPROM programming (among others: Altera, Lattice FPGA/CPLD), Bad flash recovery, more commonly known as "Unbricking" (Modems, video cards, cell phones, music players) and plain serial programming (manufacture of your own device).

Supported devices include, but are not limited to: K9F1G08, S29GL128, K8Q2815, HY27US08.

Industrial programmers often range in the EUR 1000+ range with limited customer support. ProgSkeet can compete with these programmers all the while maintaining low cost!

and one of these to be able to write to the progskeet

e3-nor-flasher1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate, looks like over 60 solder points.......:X..lol

aha, hang on, looking at that kit it would seem that it sits between the drive and the like, So no soldering involved?

[h=2]Solderless NAND SOCKET[/h]
Didn't read the title..lol

So, one of these bad boys and "any" phat can be downgraded?

Last edited:
Back