Do average speed cameras actually work ?

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
Theres a 20 mile stretch of the M1 (near Nottingham) thats got a 50MPH speed limit. I set my cruise control to 50 and just relaxed but there was many a van and car etc that went bombing past.

Do they know something I don't, or do they park up for 5 mins in between and it all averages out ?

Theres a 20 mile stretch of the M1 (near Nottingham) thats got a 50MPH speed limit. I set my cruise control to 50 and just relaxed but there was many a van and car etc that went bombing past.

Do they know something I don't, or do they park up for 5 mins in between and it all averages out ?
They do work but generally the big speeders get the ticket.50 /55 mph shouldnt get you one
the myth about changing lanes is exactly that,some 3 lane motorways have 1 or 2 cameras to cover .best stick within speed limit

That is one thing that I love having cruise control for (average speed cameras).

If not you can easily drift up tp 55 mph and then its £60 plus 3 points.

I know the place that you are talking about though and I have experienced the thing with people speeding past me.

shit

if they work, in the last 2 days, ive clocked up about 85 points then

: shocked2

You cant get done if you have no front plate lol

However i stick to the speed limt though the camera!

: shocked2

You cant get done if you have no front plate lol

However i stick to the speed limt though the camera!

you have to stick through ALL the cameras ,start to finish thats why they are called "average speed cameras"

I think you will find a lot of the speedsters catch up to another vehicle before the next set of cameras and hog their rear end so they dont get picked up, then pop out and off they go again till the next set of cameras, see it all the time on my travels, and I do a few thousand miles

Thats what i ment though the group of cameras :Cheers:

cheers

or use a motorbike lol, they seem to get away with a lot :)

I think what people do is speed in the middle. So they travel at the right speed at the 1st camera, speed and then slow down to the correct speed at the second camera, and don't get fined. The problem is that you need to know where the cameras are and if there is more than 1 pair you're potentially screwed.

Best thing to do is follow the speed restrictions and there's no problem :proud:

I think what people do is speed in the middle. So they travel at the right speed at the 1st camera, speed and then slow down to the correct speed at the second camera, and don't get fined.

err......no, that's not the way they work.

I can say for sure they work - got done on the M6 a few years back when they first came out and I didn't know how they worked. 3 points and £60 fine for 58 in a 50 zone. Tend to set cruise control to 54 for the ones on the M25 now, that seems to be about right (and about the same as everyone else). Unless I'm on my motorbike, which doesn't have a front number plate... ;)

err......no, that's not the way they work.

With the main problem being that 'thats the way people THINK they work'.

You can see people speeding up between the cameras and slowing down when they see them. Totally oblivious to the fact that their reg details are stored in a computer somewhere ready for the next set of cameras to take a shot and work out their 'average' speed between the sets of cameras.

I find it really hard to drive at a constant speed for any length of time as my concentration wonders off :(

"The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".

2,500 x £60 = £150,000 in 6 hours = Tidy sum of dosh is that !

I think what people do is speed in the middle. So they travel at the right speed at the 1st camera, speed and then slow down to the correct speed at the second camera, and don't get fined. The problem is that you need to know where the cameras are and if there is more than 1 pair you're potentially screwed.

Best thing to do is follow the speed restrictions and there's no problem :proud:
does the word "average" not give the game away. or, SHOULD the word average, not give the game away?
do people really do as you say. put less polity, are people really that stupid?
if so, should we really let them drive at all?
surly, complicated things like, hand eye coordination, take more brain power than working out the meaning of average. if drivers a falling at the average hurdle. the act of driving must be way beyond them. lol, no wonder they have problems keeping to a speed limit, their minds must be in turmoil. lol

I apologise. I thought they took the average of both speeds at various points. Therefore 50mph at camera one, 50mph at camera two and you get an average of 50mph.

But obviously they take distance into consideration to calculate average speed. So if you speed up in the middle you're still going to get a ticket.

No point jumping on me because I made a mistake :)

Last edited:
They worked quite efficiently on a stretch of road between Dundee & Perth during major roadworks, everybody seemed to adhere to the speed limit set.

One day I seen a guy speeding passed me and wondered "What the...." Then I seen him take an exit before the next set of cameras....lol

Just a thought! but if peeps are speeding passed you on the M1 then maybe they travel to road often and will take an exit before the next set of camera's therefore not on record as speeding.

I apologise. I thought they took the average of both speeds at various points. Therefore 50mph at camera one, 50mph at camera two and you get an average of 50mph.

But obviously they take distance into consideration to calculate average speed. So if you speed up in the middle you're still going to get a ticket.

No point jumping on me because I made a mistake :)

didn't have an intention of "jumping on you". honest. indeed i assumed you were talking of OTHERS, lol not yourself.
i really didn't think people would make such a basic mistake.

With the main problem being that 'thats the way people THINK they work'.

Totally agree, including myself, unless you read the SPECS link above.

Lots of people I'm sure make this basic mistake. How stupid : spank :

Back