Dish Size for 4.8e pl and maybe 7w in nw uk?

headwest

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a good dish for the above sats, well mainly 4.8e. I have set up a 1.0m Orbital dish on a technomate motor in my back garden using a 5402 to test. Yesterday at 3pm I can watch the PL channels 1 -6 no problem on 4.8e, signal was showing about 70% on the 5402. Connecting my promax explorer direct to lnb showed approx 70dbuv, but the C/N was pretty low about 8db and BER was high at around 1 in 500, picture was fine though with no pixalation, although the res of the PL channels looked poor. A scan of nilesat found 0 tp's, so the 1.0m Orbital is a no go for 7w in the nw. I was hoping that it would rain during my 3pm test, it was windy, overcast and rained very lightly, but I was wishing for it to totally pee down but it didn't so I'm not sure how much the Orbital dish will suffer from rain fade, so I'd appreciate some advice? I'm using a cheap eco 0.1db lnb, so does anyone reckon going to say an inverto black will make much or any difference? Oh and the cable to the stb is WT100 approx 15m long.

I'm thinking of testing a Triax 1.1m dish but I'm not sure if it will perform better than the Orbital 1.0m as I think the orbital dishes are quite accurately formed and give a pretty good gain (for the price). Is it worth buying a Triax 1.1m to test and what other dish sizes/makes would others recommend? 1.3m will be the max size as I'm using a pole motor.

Finally, when I did a blind scan on 4.8e it picked up pl 1-6 fine but listed pl-7 as a radio channel, anyone know what this is about?

I'm currently watching Swansea c Villa on 30w in HD with 6 mins to go.

Cheers

dont bother testing the td110 although i use them for badr4 and general motorised use i still lose a couple of the nordics in extremly bad weather(which we seem to get all time here up north). ive just got myself a gibertini 1.25m dish but havent installed it yet but the general feeling is they have excellent gain, regards mdt

I recently upgraded a customers triax 78cm for a 1.1m and got a healthy margin of around 85% snr on the XPL ch's on 4.8 and also tweaked it for the new bird on 7 west which pulled in around 67% snr, That was on a TM5402Hd as well i have to admit i have not come acroos a box yet with as good a tuner in them as the new technomate series.

I would have thought the orbital 1m would bring in similar figures with the TM. Just to add this was in the NW area.

Back