desperate help needed please.

now its stopped searching for a signal and all it says in the bottom left corner is no gps device??
what a nightmare!!!

any one want to earn a few quid by sorting it??

nightmare after nightmare... its coming out ... i have a headache... anyone want to buy a cheap almost all singing all dancing in car system???
cheap,,,,,,, very cheap!!!!!!!

Hi mate sorry for late reply. Dont give up just yet you've come this far!!

What you need to do is go into tomtom, go into the preferences screen, go into the show gps status screem, in there click on configure. in there there are going to be a few options, try each of them one by one.

This is a hardware based issue. All it is, is that tomtom needs to be told which port your GPS receiver is.

Let us know how it goes.

hi, thanks for the reply mate, i went into the configuration and it only gives 2 otpions,
1) usb port
2) com port 1
i tried them both but nothing happened
when i first tried com port 1 , in the bottom left hand corner of the tomtom screen it started searching for a signal, then stopped and the message, changed to no gps device
i changed it to usb port but nothing happened at all.
i even phoned tomtom support to try and buy an original piece of software to run on wince 5.0 and he said navigator 6 might work but will probably have compatabilitty issues.
im wondering if i should try a different software and start from scratch, such as Igo etc, what do you think mate??
it is propper getting me down as the wife is now off on one big style.

hi, thanks for the reply mate, i went into the configuration and it only gives 2 otpions,
1) usb port
2) com port 1
i tried them both but nothing happened
when i first tried com port 1 , in the bottom left hand corner of the tomtom screen it started searching for a signal, then stopped and the message, changed to no gps device
i changed it to usb port but nothing happened at all.
i even phoned tomtom support to try and buy an original piece of software to run on wince 5.0 and he said navigator 6 might work but will probably have compatabilitty issues.
im wondering if i should try a different software and start from scratch, such as Igo etc, what do you think mate??
it is propper getting me down as the wife is now off on one big style.

The bit i highlited in red is good so that is the correct port.

Thats it working. You just need to give a while so it locks onto GPS signal. As for it disconnecting, when you select that, does it give you option for baud rate? if it does, it should be set to 4200 i think or 4900, not sure which but it begins with 4 anyway.

And no it wont make a difference if you buy because this is the same as having a bought one. Mate its fixed so dont worry.Your tomtom is fully working now. its just a case of connecting your ystem to the tomtom.

What area are you in by the way?

hi again mate, i left it running this afternoon for about half an hour then changed it and waited but nothing, i am in south yorkshire but am willing to travel if anyone can sort it.

hi again mate, i left it running this afternoon for about half an hour then changed it and waited but nothing, i am in south yorkshire but am willing to travel if anyone can sort it.

When you say nothing do you mean it keeps saying waiting for gps signal?

Im in london so a bit far.

On the device, not in tomtom but when you turn your system on, do you have system configuration? if so, see if you can go in and check gps settings, dont change anyhing. just see which port the system is usng the gps on.

I'll see if i can find any info on it.

Actually, you say you have a manual for this which contains a troubleshooter, can you just check if it mentions anything about GPS port settings or Baud rate settings in there?

hi again mate, it doesnt say waiting for gps signal any more, just no gps device found on the tomtom screen.
there are a couple of gps settings on the system but nothing i can see to change, the instruction manual is very vague and only shows how to activate the sat nav software.
you can change baud settings in the tomtom program though
the trouble shooter is just about useless.
looks like the sofa for me and the dog tonight!!!

Last edited:
hi again mate, it doesnt say waiting for gps signal any more, just no gps device found on the tomtom screen.
there are a couple of gps settings on the system but nothing i can see to change, the instruction manual is very vague and only shows how to activate the sat nav software.
you can change baud settings in the tomtom program though
the trouble shooter is just about useless.
looks like the sofa for me and the dog tonight!!!

If I were you, I ould stick it in COM Port 1 and the lowest baud rating and let it see if it finds a signal. I reckon thats the setting. Before when it was working, how long did it usuall take to get a signal?

Where you are testing, do you get good signal? are there lots of high rises?

Been doing bit more reading. Try Baud 9600.

If that dont work, theres a program called port splitter which you might need to run.

Try the setting first i it dont work let me know i'll see if I can get the program for you.

hi, my tomtom go500 picks a signal up straight away. no high rises or anything around us. i dont actually know how long it took to pick a signal up originally as i tried to stupidly put my other maps on etc straight away after fitting it as it didnt have the post code facility..
i suppose its a lesson on backing stuff up!

hi, my tomtom go500 picks a signal up straight away. no high rises or anything around us. i dont actually know how long it took to pick a signal up originally as i tried to stupidly put my other maps on etc straight away after fitting it as it didnt have the post code facility..
i suppose its a lesson on backing stuff up!

Tell you what, if it doesnt work with tese settings and the port splitter, I will get you a software that will recover all the stuff that was on there in the first place. Its a mate at work thats got it and its designed for SD cards. Im ringing him now to bring it in tomorrow.

will do mate,
i will try each baud setting and wait for a while and let you know the outcome.

Tell you what, if it doesnt work with tese settings and the port splitter, I will get you a software that will recover all the stuff that was on there in the first place. Its a mate at work thats got it and its designed for SD cards. Im ringing him now to bring it in tomorrow.

that would be brilliant mate. cheers

morning mate, after trying to change the baud settings, it still says no gps device in the bottom left corner.
im wondering if its the software that has frozen?
any chance i can come down and see you to have a go with it?

I'll see if i can get port splitter for you and that software it be the last thing to try. It be a long journey but by all means mate.

i dont mind a couple of hours drive mate, but i think it may be the software that is no good, been reading some posts on here and other sites where tomtom one keeps crashing and losing signal for long periods,
i think it may be a good idea to try a different software just to see what happens such as IGO.
what do you think?

hang about a min!!!!
i have just put the sd card into my reader and added the windows file i originally saved and removed the antenna and it is now waiting for a valid gps signal on baud 9600. if i re connect the antenna it goes back to no gps device, disconnect again and its waiting for valid gps signal and the gps program on the head unit has loads of daft changing numbers which were not there before.

so,,,

i will leave it searching for a bit on 9600 and see what happens, if it doesnt pick a signal up i will change baud and see..

fingers crossed it might pick something up!!!

keep you posted matey!

i dont mind a couple of hours drive mate, but i think it may be the software that is no good, been reading some posts on here and other sites where tomtom one keeps crashing and losing signal for long periods,
i think it may be a good idea to try a different software just to see what happens such as IGO.
what do you think?

You could do mate but backup the SD card first tho yeah lol

Also, the only error i've come across on the WIN CE version is the not enough memory. Have you tried the port splitter application?

Back