Council Tax!

freddo270

Inactive User
Reaction score
Where does my council tax go?

I pay over £900 a year and only about £200 goes to police, fire brigade etc. Does it really cost £700 a year to have your bin emptied, (and then only if they turn up, can be arsed and your bin conforms to about ten different rules and regulations). The police, fire etc should get more and i would also like the choice of who I pay to empty my bins if at all i required that service.

We're just being forced to pay for a bad service that any other business could run at half the cost with a much better service.

Some of the jobs you see advertised in the paper for the council are a joke. They must make them up in order to justify their budgets.

I'd rather go to the tip once a week or fornight than pay them £700 a year.

At least your paying it my husband is a stubborn man and has been to court 3 times because he says its not going to good use so he aint paying. The judge stated if he carried on he would be looking at a custodial sentence so I now have a D/D set up monthly to pay the last 3 bills he has received before his stubborness gets him locked up.

i think we all symathise m8 cos we all have to pay it but it does have to pay for a lot of stuff, and a lot of which u may dissagree with or feel u dont use but the council have to provide by law.

education (schools colleges) the old bill, fire brigade, libraries, trading standards, envioronmental health, street lighting, roads/path maint etc, gritting clearing snow etc etc registar births deaths marriges, leasure centres, planning applications and control, social care in the community, refuse collection and then management of landfill sites i am sure there is more.

u will also pay to the county or metropoliton bourogh.

u just have to look at the whole thing as if its insurance, its something u have to pay but just hope u dont need it too much.
i dont know your position but if u have kids how would u feel if u had to cough up £800 per kid in sept for the year at school cos everybody who dont have kids isnt paying this year.
and when the fire engine turns up to put out your chimney that has cought fire they want £300 before they start.......

Very well said Hatab!!!
Have to say that I always disliked (although always paid it, because its the law..) the rates/poll tax/council tax until I had kids, then you start to see & appreciate more of what you pay for.

i was 1 of the stubburn people who refused to pay it and i but in the end i had 2 . i aggree it dose goto a lot of good use but why pay tax and i pay a lot of tax for what i earn so it dose get anoying paying out a extra 900 and over a year. if i could i would get out of britain altogether as we are being ripped off left right and center by the government its tax for this and tax for that . its rippoff britain we live in and we are a very rich country indeed yet we all get bent over a barrel. and it will never stop

Depending on the area you live approx 17% goes towards your local council (not city) to have your bins emptied and parks and leisure facilities run and maintained. The rest goes to your county council for education, social services police ambulance and fire service.

i pay about the same, don't like or want to pay it. as far as i'm concerned the council tax payers of this country are getting the shaft big time. its not enough the taxman shafts me every month, when i get to the end of the year the council shaft me because the government of this country keeps cutting there local council handouts.
as for bins i am supposed to take my bin to the entrance of the close in order that it get emptied. where do i get and you get the shaft??

in a wage packets
when we buy cigs
when we buy takeaway food
when we buy booze
when we buy insurance or save money
when we die.

infact i can't think of a thing we don't get the shaft on. I want to know where all this money is going. on average 70% of every wage earners salary in this country goes to the taxman. every ow and again he say's i'll take a few pence less this year and the council take a few tens of pounds more..
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY???

andyboyrfc said:
i was 1 of the stubburn people who refused to pay it and i but in the end i had 2 . i aggree it dose goto a lot of good use but why pay tax and i pay a lot of tax for what i earn so it dose get anoying paying out a extra 900 and over a year. if i could i would get out of britain altogether as we are being ripped off left right and center by the government its tax for this and tax for that . its rippoff britain we live in and we are a very rich country indeed yet we all get bent over a barrel. and it will never stop

Totally agree m8, especially the "ripp off Britain" and "it will never stop" part.

habtab hit it on the head
the majority of council employees do work hard for there money (i do) its the office staff and there assistants that cost a lot of money as in my area there is 30 workmen that deal with the roads etc 30 that clean and empty bins etc and the must be well ove 150 office staff we spend thousands on independant surveyors even though we have allready got people on staff who can do the job just incase it goes wrong they can blame external people
i agree that tons of cash is wasted but just not where people think on the manual side of things its the private stuff that you dont hear that wastes money

TWOBEERCANS said:
i pay about the same, don't like or want to pay it. as far as i'm concerned the council tax payers of this country are getting the shaft big time. its not enough the taxman shafts me every month, when i get to the end of the year the council shaft me because the government of this country keeps cutting there local council handouts.
as for bins i am supposed to take my bin to the entrance of the close in order that it get emptied. where do i get and you get the shaft??

in a wage packets
when we buy cigs
when we buy takeaway food
when we buy booze
when we buy insurance or save money
when we die.

infact i can't think of a thing we don't get the shaft on. I want to know where all this money is going. on average 70% of every wage earners salary in this country goes to the taxman. every ow and again he say's i'll take a few pence less this year and the council take a few tens of pounds more..
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY???

Couldnt have said it better myself mate!

Back