Chipped tooth home repair

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a tooth at the bottom back (moler) which had a filling few year ago but last night a bit of the side enamel has chipped off exposing the filling.
The problem is its very sharp and its rubbing against my tongue causing pain when eating or drinking.

I can't get in the dentist right now (emergency only) so can anyone recommend a good quality home filling repair kit ?. I've seen Dentek kits at Boots but reading up reviews on it there's mixed good bad points. Some kind of putty i could push in. From the reviews some say it just fell out.

It's not an emergency m8 I've spoke with them, no pain to the tooth area no swelling it's just p*ssing me off catching my tongue. If I can get something in to temp fill then I can hang on a few week. I just wondered if anyone's used any product that does the job better than other's. I bet there's a few on here that's tried a few products over the lockdown.

Yeah I've seem um. I've read tonnes of reviews and like Tripadvisor reviews there's a lot of variations good and bad. I just thought someone on here might have tried one over the Lockdown they could recommend,
or not.
Which gets me to a tale,
So a few years ago I meets up with a good m8 usual game of pool beers. So when he turns up I thought, he looks abit different. So when he's stood side on at the bar I noticed his top lip was sticking up and outwards. I says "What tf is going on with your top lip??". Now bare in mind he's old school and has dabbled over his lifetime in the fine art of Medieval dentistry everything from self extraction with plumbers grips to filing them down.

He says "Had a problem with the front tooth, it came out so I superglued it back in". I says "OK but why is your top lip stuck out like fookin Elivs singing Cold This Christmas

He said,
"I superglued it back in back to front when I was pissed and I can't get the fooker out to turn it round!"

For the rest of the day he just kept saying , stop staring at my fookin mouth and play your shot and I would reply with a "Urgghhh hugghh"

@silverdale Funny you should mention superglue as I have seen videos on YouTube of people making filler with superglue but I don’t know how well it would work on a tooth. 🤔
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ring them back and tell them the tooth is now giving you grief.....................................
Stay away from the Superglue...if you end up sticking your fingers together we won't know what the fuk your typing fegwgarhiuegr ha ha.
And if you stick your tongue to your tooth the Mrs will no doubt be unhappy ha ha ha.

I spoke with my m8 Dr Krippin. I sent him the superglue vid I think he got a knock on watching it he texted back.

Wow!

He then said "I'll call round I've got some superglue left over let us have a go" I mean, as fookin if.

Tbh I can live with it till I can get in like I said its catching on my tongue so if I can flatten fill the sharp edge I'll be right for 2 a couple of week.
So I got looking round and opted for
Denpro Superior 2
Ordered it Amazon so hopefully it will do the trick.
For those who might be the slightest bit interested I'll let you know how I get on.

@RIP Silverdale choked on a bottle of superglue:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:😨,tasted awful.

Yeah I've seem um. I've read tonnes of reviews and like Tripadvisor reviews there's a lot of variations good and bad. I just thought someone on here might have tried one over the Lockdown they could recommend,
or not.
Which gets me to a tale,
So a few years ago I meets up with a good m8 usual game of pool beers. So when he turns up I thought, he looks abit different. So when he's stood side on at the bar I noticed his top lip was sticking up and outwards. I says "What tf is going on with your top lip??". Now bare in mind he's old school and has dabbled over his lifetime in the fine art of Medieval dentistry everything from self extraction with plumbers grips to filing them down.

He says "Had a problem with the front tooth, it came out so I superglued it back in". I says "OK but why is your top lip stuck out like fookin Elivs singing Cold This Christmas

He said,
"I superglued it back in back to front when I was pissed and I can't get the fooker out to turn it round!"

For the rest of the day he just kept saying , stop staring at my fookin mouth and play your shot and I would reply with a "Urgghhh hugghh"

I too know people who have attempted amateur dentistry. One, a builder, attempted to pull his own tooth out after getting a grain of rice lodged in a hole in the tooth. He ended up snapping the tooth at the line of his jaw bone and having to go to a hospital as it was a weekend and no dentists were available.

Next one was a barmaid in my local of the time. Me, her and the owner were having some drinks at the bar and she (probably a bit drunk) said she had toothache. Owner, also drunk, said he'd take the tooth out... He wasn't successful but the sound of small, serrated, pliers slipping off a tooth repetitively haunts me 16, or so, years later.

I must admit I'm not a lover of the dentist but still regular go. Things like this though the more I read the more I see a fair few successfully fill thier own if say its chipped or a filling comes out.
Its down to the filler so thats why I asked. A for instance, I had a filling at the dentist and after 12 month I was back. It had simply worn away. They had to drill out the little what was left and fill it again and its doing it again.
Now I had one about 25 years ago and its the same as the day it was put in, a white one so point is, if its sh#t stuff it won't last. Makes you wonder if they use cost cutting cheap and nasty filler from Ali Express

They say Gold is the strongest followed by Amalgam for fillings.

Gold ?, you honestly wouldn't think that would you. I always thought it was decorative rather than it's effectiveness considering how soft 18-24k is

I used one that I got from boots and it was good for 2 weeks till I got into the dentist. Can't remember what make it was though.

Well it arrived so I mixed up some cement as in the instructions. First attempt was a failure. The cement was a tab runny so it wouldn't go into the side of the tooth were it was missing.
So I got it all out and went again. This time I let the cement go off till it was like a chewy going hard then I stuck it on my finger and wedged it in place.
A little bit of fiddling and I managed to get it in place and stay there. I'd say within 10 minutes it was solid. I tided it up with toothpicks and hopefully it will stay put.
One slight problem, I've got a sharp point on the cracked part of the tooth sticking up which is still catching my tongue so I've it down with a fine metal file.

I'll give it a good test when wife does tea

Well it arrived so I mixed up some cement as in the instructions. First attempt was a failure. The cement was a tab runny so it wouldn't go into the side of the tooth were it was missing.
So I got it all out and went again. This time I let the cement go off till it was like a chewy going hard then I stuck it on my finger and wedged it in place.
A little bit of fiddling and I managed to get it in place and stay there. I'd say within 10 minutes it was solid. I tided it up with toothpicks and hopefully it will stay put.
One slight problem, I've got a sharp point on the cracked part of the tooth sticking up which is still catching my tongue so I've it down with a fine metal file.

I'll give it a good test when wife does tea

I hope you manage to get it filed down and that it lasts.
I must have been really lucky as I broke a piece off one of my teeth on a nut, late in the evening of November 11th. Fortunately as I had had a root canal on that tooth may years earlier there was no nerve in it so I was not in pain but it was annoying as it had a sharp edge and my tongue kept feeling around it. I checked on my dentists website and saw that the new rules from November 2nd said they were still open during the tier 3 lockdown in my area. So I rang them at 9.15am the following morning and the receptionist asked if I was in pain, I said that I wasn't but it was catching my tongue. She said they could see me the following Wednesday, which I thought was pretty good as I had heard that people couldn't get appointments, then she said would I like to come today at 12.30pm, so I said yes please. She said that I had to wait outside and they would let me in when they were ready and to wear a mask.

I was outside at 12.25pm and I was asked to go in just after 12.30pm and I was surprised to be treated by Patrick, my usual dentist, as there are 4 dentists in that practice. He said he could crown it but that under the current restrictions he wasn't allowed to drill or do anything that caused aerosols so he just mixed up some filling stuff, washed and dried the broken bit and rebuilt my tooth. He said he had an ever growing list of patients needing more work and would add my name to it and would call me when he was allowed to sort out a crown but if I had any problems before then to ring them.

I was back outside and on my way home before 12.45pm with my tooth temporarily repaired. I don't think that I have ever had a tooth problem, or anything else, fixed so soon after it needed doing, so I feel very lucky, although I guess that I was unlucky to break my tooth in the first place :)

You were lucky to get to see anyone my practise is emergencies only. My problem was, this tooth was razor sharp it had cut the side and underside of my tongue. I could only drink through a straw and food was a no no.
I'll see how it goes, if it holds jobs done

You were lucky to get to see anyone my practise is emergencies only. My problem was, this tooth was razor sharp it had cut the side and underside of my tongue. I could only drink through a straw and food was a no no.
I'll see how it goes, if it holds jobs done
You clearly survived the night. How is it going? Does the food get stuck in your tooth at all. I have a similar issue but haven’t been brave enough to try the temporary fix. I am the worlds clumsiest person - imagine what a mess I could get in 😂

no cause the bit that broke off was the inside of the tooth the edge between 2 moler teeth so I kinda packed the gap betweeen the teeth with filler then when it was going off manipulated it with my toungue but it seems I didnt take enough out. I might have put a tab too much in so I might pick up a small dental angled file and file abit away. The hardest bit was filing the pointy bit down ended up using a proper metal file now that made some cringey noises but this morning so far all's good. Yet to test it fully just squidgy food for now
for those interested this was the gear I bought;-

Prevest Denpro Micron Superior Type 2 Radiopaque GIC Dental Cement A2 Natural Shade for Permanent Filling: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Back