Cheapest XBMC device

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys hope you can help.

Been searching on internet and theres so many differing opinions.

Im after the cheapest device that can run xbmc but it has to be extremely quite, size doesnt really matter that much but i dont want a massive ugly thing.
Low power consumption. have remote control.
HDD space not an issue as i can probably get a cheap nas drive.
Im gonna be using it to play anything from avi to 1080 hd movies.
also music and pictures.
Any advice?

I'm currently messing around with a raspberry Pi and using a wireless mini k/b with it but also there are remotes available on IOS/Android.

the sumvision cyclone nano flashed with the pivos xios ds ics firmware is a good shout as you can run there xbmc apk with hardware acceleration working

the sumvision cyclone nano flashed with the pivos xios ds ics firmware is a good shout as you can run there xbmc apk with hardware acceleration working

umm was pondering a xbmc capable box soon myself.

the thing thats putting me off to date with the andriod version is yes xbmc will go on it but is there the repo's to go with xbmc on android?

no good having xbmc without the likes of navi-x etc....

anyone know?

Personally I used an old dell optiplex pc with a low profile GeForce 8400gs and it's quiet and handles 1080p mkv's happily :)

Sent from my telephone.

Reason why the pi or Android device is out of the question for me is because you can't use sky go on them. I would need to use sky go.

Yes navi-x works on android version I thought there was a sky go app for android ?

I'm currently messing around with a raspberry Pi and using a wireless mini k/b with it but also there are remotes available on IOS/Android.

I have xbmc running on my raspberry Pi but i am having problems with the screen size If I adjust the overscan so I can see the whole of the interface at the top and bottom of the main screen then when I play a video it is not full screen but a window in the middle of the tv screen any ideas on how to correct this

I have xbmc running on my raspberry Pi but i am having problems with the screen size If I adjust the overscan so I can see the whole of the interface at the top and bottom of the main screen then when I play a video it is not full screen but a window in the middle of the tv screen any ideas on how to correct this

Tried in the settings of XBMC its probably ticked for show windowed :)

I cant find that in system /settings I will have look round later

I had the same issue on 2 tvs and the solution was to enable overscan on the HDMI channel on the tv. Did this on a Toshiba and a Sharp and now works perfectly.

When the video is playing bring up the onscreen controls and on the right of the play / pause / skip buttons is another setting that allows you to adjust video settings
One of the settings allow you stretch lower resolution video to full screen. You can then save it as default for all vids

When the video is playing bring up the onscreen controls and on the right of the play / pause / skip buttons is another setting that allows you to adjust video settings
One of the settings allow you stretch lower resolution video to full screen. You can then save it as default for all vids

apparently the version I had installed had some preferences stored because the picture was zoomed x16 when i found that setting and zeroed it, I could then see the rest of the menus and cure the problem thanks for the help guys I now have a fully functioning raspberry pi with sickbeard sabnzbd xbmc and samba all working due to the efforts of him her and all the other people on here who have spent time helping me get a small understanding of LINUX on a tiny raspberry computer

How good does it work ? also what are you using to control it ?
I have been toying with getting one for a play & using it as a media player/streamer but would like some sort of remote control.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I'm currently investigating the same thing and have been looking at nas drives with twonky running on them , what are your opinions on why xbmc is better ?

How good does it work ? also what are you using to control it ?
I have been toying with getting one for a play & using it as a media player/streamer but would like some sort of remote control.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
I am using my android phone as a remote and have ordered a flymouse as the battery on my phone doesn't last very long on wifi
I'm currently investigating the same thing and have been looking at nas drives with twonky running on them , what are your opinions on why xbmc is better ?
I dont have any idea about twonky I just got a raspberry for camping instead of an expensive laptop then decided to put sickbeard and sabnzbd on it then I wanted to be able to transfer files between it and my vu+duo I then looked at xbmc as a media player and because i had a 250GB usb hdd lying around and a usb mouse I got a nas download media centre for about £40 so you tell me is a nas drive with twonky on better I dont know !!

No idea my self. if your only using xmbc as a player then I have misunderstood and my post is irelavent .

Back