Car drives like a boat sometimes??

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, this is going to be really hard to explain, but, if youve driven a jetbike at high speeds, youll know the feeling i mean.

My car is only used twice a week, for a couple of hundred miles, mostly motorways and dual carriageways.

I got a BMW 318iSE, and for ages have had an 'issue' with the back wheel, it went to 3 garages, who all found nothing wrong, then i found a local place that rally preps cars, the guy took it out for 5 mins, came back, and said it was a bearing. Ive not long had a new spring on the same wheel, as the other one snapped.

before the spring was done, the car used to 'twitch' on motorway corners, or in sidewinds. once the spring was done, this stopped

but now the bearing has been done, its returned, but worse.

if i come into a bend, as the cars center of gravity shifts outwards, the car will slightly oversteer, as though the back has kicked out, you can more feel it than actually notice the steering, but you do have to adjust the steering.

as you come out of a corner, its as though the cars center of gravity, passes through and keeps going round the corner that little bit further, so even though youre straight, you have to slightly steer back into the corner, thats gone, to 'feel' like youre going straight again

people travelling in the car dont notice, and if i ask them if they felt it, sometimes they do, but mostly dont

any ideas peeps?

the most common problem is the front rear bush // as it moves left and right it power steers the rear end

bmw.jpg

cheers m8y :)

how noticable is this to the eye m8? as its been stripped when the bearing was done, everything checked for tightness etc

the bearing was done about 2 weeks ago, but the cars only been used 4 times, and i wont use it now for another 2 weeks, so would like to get it sorted now,

but they will probably take it on the local back roads, where the problem dont show itself, and at the same time, i dont want to pester the garage lol

Are you sure someone not swapped it over for an actual boat? :err:

Does it have a sail?

the whole of no: 1 is removed to replace the bearing m8 .. we replace the bushes alot for mot's , the rubber in the bush breaks away from the steel sleeve .

they may not of noticed because u remove the bracket no:18 and the bush sits inside that ..

just take it back m8 .. being a garage he will be want to check no one has left anything lose anyway ..

cheers m8, ill phone him tomorrow, it wont be in there long,

the day i took the car for the bearing, in the morning, there was a subaru with very little front, no engine (that was spread out in a thousand bits lol) and when i get back there at tea time, my car was done (yay :)) and the subaru was running again as well

i think after all my bad luck with cars and garages, ive finally found a good one, and he does rally cars :proud: lol

Are you sure someone not swapped it over for an actual boat? :err:

Does it have a sail?

is that the thing like a wing on the back m8? i thought that was like a planes rudder, not a boats one

Did you have both springs changed as handling can be affected by only replacing one as the other will have aged.

Back