Can I use TM600 as a Media Server for USB HDD?

CSB

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have an external 1TB USB drive that I would like to connect to my TM600 and use it as a network file store for use with the TM and my PC.
The drive is recognised in (Setup/System Settings/USB Port Selection for PVR Mode/BACK: Toshiba ).
I currently have a 4Gb USB stick on the internal port which is good for var backup, epg and recording.

I suppose my first question is, does the TM600 support more than one USB at a time? (I'm assuming that the USB stick would be faster for a swap file than the HDD)

If so
How would I mount the second USB-HDD so that it could be shared on the LAN.

I just recently saw that ToneDeff has included a startup script feature on his Blue Pannel...? (Top Man)

thanks CB:wtf:

FYI

I've had a good look through the threads regarding the use of the USB ports and cant find anything that might answer my question. But this post from way back caught my eye. Though I dont pretend to understand the detail, it does assure me someone knows the answer.

Quote from Mickster May 2009

" I had thought that the USB would not be stackable as it isn't is some linux setups, also so use naming for the ports when a hub is involved like usbdev(version)_ep(some number - usually 00, 02 or 81) notable in /dev makes configuring them with cams or plugins awkward. As this is in a read only flash sector, adding is not possible unless /var/dev is added to the paths. If you could get an extra hub involved, usb devices then don't take the usual names like ttyUSB0 so map different every reboot or un/plug in. Curiosity is to put a symlink in /dev and move it to a writeable area and see if it then can add a hub... However there seems to only in house cdk at the moment like the itgate... The avaliable one is near a year old. Support would be a lot better if it were available. The tuxbox repo for the dream cdk is updated nearly daily.

If you plugin a memory stick and a hard disk, then you'll be limited to 1 USB for a smargo... Seems to me that there is no advantage (other than a USB stick than a camera type card over the 9100 with 2 card readers already. As you have to pay extra to expand the 600, it'll probably cost more than the 9100 when you add a smargo and a USB stick. I'd lay money on the Pheonix not working on the serial port like the tm9100. The tm9100 also has the CI slot......

Its all in my external view the advantage then depends on internal memory... Is it the same as the 9100 super?? reliability of the image is not anymore an issue on the tm9100.

Im not saying its a bad box, its probably good. The tm9100 is now rock solid with UR18. I want another box just because of desire, but im struggling to see an actual advantage here... Its looking like a sales tactic because the 9100 has a bad reputation more than anything else..

Its a good option though if upgrading from a standard non linux box though.

Last edited by mickster; 6th May 2009 at 10:26. "end quote

ScreenShot007.jpgScreenShot014.jpgUpdate,

well it seems that the TM can support all 3 USB ports at the same time. After a bit of switching on/off of the TM600, my ext USB-HDD and the fridge light, Cifs-share was working on USB0(front), Ext-USB-HDD working on USB1 (rear) and USB-stick inside. All work via filezilla, telnet and windows. But best trasfer speed was 1.5MB/s. Still thats 50%faster than my 10meg broadband.

So can anyone assist with what I'm doing wrong?

1. Windows thinks the ext USB-HDD is the same size as the internal USB stick (3.95GB) ?
2. The ext USB-HDD dosesn't always start with a reboot of the TM600. ?
3. Is the transfer rate correct (1.5MB/s) ?
4. Would it be betterto put the external inside the TM ?

cheers csb

Back