Buying cat advice

T4i

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm been backed into a corner by my 2 kids and wife because they want a cat.

I don't mind cats but I refuse to buy one from the local adtrader paper, knowing my luck it would have a illness....

Can anyone advise me as to how much the RSPCA charge? Does this include any injections? Worming? Etc?

We have worked out that pet insurance is about £2 per month, feeding about £8 per month. I can't argue with £10 a month.

I know cats need booster jabs every year, anyone know how much these are? I've heard that the 1st jabs are about £38 each (need 2 diff jabs?)

Ideally we want a 4-6 month cat/kitten :s so we can kinda train it into our routine etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
T4i

You're bringing back memories m8 :)
I was in the same position you are in last year. The wife and 2 kids wanted a cat and I didn't.
We ended up getting a kitten from a friend of a friend etc.
It wasn't ill or anything but it tried it's best to destroy my feckin house !!!!
The last straw came when I came home from work to find the thing eyeballing me from one of my dining chairs. It was lifting its feet one at a time with its claws plucking the fabric of the chairs.

It now lives with a family friend in Chesterfield 90 miles away, as I heard they can find thier way back. Can't be too carefull lol

I got my way in the end ;)

Cur1y

lol our lass had her cat for 19years and and we had it for 10 together and they are lovely pets she was no bother but sadly had to get her put down due to kidney failure in her old age. (just remember if they bring back mice/birds for you they think they are doing good by showing you their hunting skills:))

now of the bairns wants another cat but me,the missus and the youngest want a dog,we'll prob end up getting both lol.

i'm pretty sure u can trust the ones of adtrader m8 just make sure the owners look clean when you go for one

most vets include the first set of booster jabs(20 quid a year there after) in with the price of the original jabs(i know that vets4pets do this) i think the rspca charge around 60 quid but this does include worming fleaing and the first jabs(it may be more now its a while since i been using rspca)

if ur planning to let it out insurance is a must but mines 8 quid a month(5 quid for the first cat,discount for the second~)

n 8 quid a month for food im taking it your thinking dry food there cos i spend that a week(minst u i do have 2 ridiculously big cats)

and to avoid a situation akin to curly i suggest a medium to large cat tree and a scratch pad or 2 on your walls

my furniture is fine with these things

some thing like this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8701129.htm

I got 3 cats I can supply if you want them....They keep digging up my plants/veg in work...Can be supplied alive or dead I'm not fussed lol :)

Not really a cat person but as I didn't have any say in our house getting one I decided to pick the type.

We got a Maine Coon cat and what a cat LOL. This thing is like a dog but without the shit! It fetches and sits when told doesn't meow and waits to be told if it can sit on your lap. doesn't claw furniture (as long as you have an industrial scratch post) and will kill anything that dares to enter your garden, dogs rats cats included.

It knows the sound of my car and greets me when i come home. Stays out all night and sleeps all day. it's a top cat totally changed my perspective on em.

Regards.

Last edited:
i have had 4 cats got to say 1 ran away,2 died of old age they were 26,23,yes i know that very old lol.I have a white albino which has 3 legs after sum t**t ran him over on christmas day 10years ago plus i have a white deaf cat,its totally deaf you can whistle right behind it when its asleep and it doesnt budge,a tip u can tell if the cat ur is deaf buy the colour of its eyes if there both different its deaf if there not ur ok.

Mr P

my bro got one from here 17 years ago - http://www.cats.org.uk/

they welcome visit from families with children etc and always try their best to choose a cat best suited to each individual family

i cant remember what it cost as it was so long ago

Thanks for the advice, I get the feeling im gonna regret this.

I think I will buy them a cat and buy mysen a 2nd house to live in :)

Not really a cat person but as I didn't have any say in our house getting one I decided to pick the type.

We got a Maine Coon cat and what a cat LOL. This thing is like a dog but without the shit! It fetches and sits when told doesn't meow and waits to be told if it can sit on your lap. doesn't claw furniture (as long as you have an industrial scratch post) and will kill anything that dares to enter your garden, dogs rats cats included.

It knows the sound of my car and greets me when i come home. Stays out all night and sleeps all day. it's a top cat totally changed my perspective on em.

Regards.

I've got 3 cats and 2 are maine coone, and you're right, they're a feline version of a dog. Especially the male. He follows me about like a little puppy (and regularly wakes me up at 3 in the morning) When they were younger, local kids used to knock on the door to see if he was coming out to play!
My hubby hated cats until my daughters talked him into it, now he loves them just like we do. :)
I'd go for it, cats are fab :)
BTW as far as I know if you get one from the RSPCA although there is a fee, they are fully checked out and I think the 1st set of injections are sorted too. I stand corrected on that though.

jeepers!

Are maine coon cats always so big? I'd say there more like a horse than dog.

ny-maine-coon3.jpg

riley-maine-coon-cat.jpg

193_9364_copy.jpg

josh_bud.jpg

ROFL! Thats proper trippy! I think I would shit mysen everytime it came into the room.

Easy mate i have three cats non are really any bother to be honest. I would not pay for one to be honest i got the only two from a litter and the owner said he just wanted them to go to a good home. Most people who love cats don't want to make money from them to be honest. You could go to the cats protection league as they are very helpfull but last i heard they expect a healthy donation.
If you go for insurance be aware most pet insurance covers jack unless they have had all there injections. Males you need to get nuetered or they will spray around the house to mark there territory and females can get pregnant very quickly on the odd occasion if they caught too young giving birth can be fatal for them.

Got to say though my 3 are very loving and i get on average 2 mice a week as presents from them which on occasion is very good fun when they let it go and they are still alive i have to then catch it myself..lol

ive seen a few posts about necrobumping threads over the last few months, so, a 15 year old thread? hey man, i need access to the downloads and stuff, you know how it is....... lol

anyway, me and the wife got a kitten in january, then, the next day, went back and got another from the litter (we lost our cat, dog and bird all in 13 months the year before)

The mother is a pure bred maine coon. we had a boy and a girl, long story short, we thought we had 2 girls, fooked up our plans to call them 'mork and mindy' so called them mindy and misty, by the time we realised, mindy turned out to be the boy, and it is what it is, lol, anyway.......

misty, the girl, looks like a normal cat, she has the tufts on her ears, is tri coloured, but nothing out of the ordinary, BUT......, mindy, the boy.......

if you have me on facebook, you will have seen him. hes 9 months old, nearly 6kg, and nearly 4 foot long when stretched out, and apparently they dont stop growing (even though it does slow down) untill theyre around 3 to 4 years old. Hes a ginger and white giant, hes bigger than our dog was (but, out last cat, doosh (norweigan forast cat) , was bigger than lexi was, as she was a pappilon)

anyway, useless information, post necrobump, and talking about my wifes huge pussy(cat)

15 year old post........... (im proud of that)

Back