Other Best way to put hdd on network

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
I want to put a 2tb hard drive on the network so I can transfer all media to it wirelessly from my macbook but also access it from any TV.

I actually have a wiring closet in place where all my cat6 goes from every room to a switch which then goes to my hub. My sky box, now tv android box all enter a hdmi splitter and travel the cat6 to each room.

I did use plex when I had a desktop pc but now that I don't plex isn't really an option...

Does your 2TB Hard Drive presumably an external variety have no NAS feature built in, Or what about a router with USB input that does have a NAS facility

You could buy a cheap NAS, A couple of years ago I got a 2 bay Zyxel from Dabs for around £50, put in 2 old hard drives (drives were ripped from USB external seagate enclosures). A total of 4tb. The Zyxel NAS boxes can do DLNA which will stream to a smart TV etc...

After a while I got another one to add annother 4tb.

Last year I got a 4 bay D-Link NAS and put 4 x 5tb hard drives in.

I guess I should delete some media I don't watch any more.

We have around 150 TV shows with all seasons plus tons of music videos and quite a few blu-ray ISO's all of which I can stream to the TV from the NAS boxes.

The Zyxel ones are not good for streaming blu-ray as the network connections are only 10/100

The D-link one has 2 x gigabit connections which streams 3d films from 50gb blu-raay ISO files with no problems.

Yea I will get an NAS, thats a good idea. But does the bt home hub support this as it does have a usb port?

Ok, thats good. Shows how i can see whats on the hard drive from my PC but how do i play videos through my tv's with the hard drive connected to my bt hub 4

If you have a bunch of spare parts and hdds build a machine that you can leave on and use unRAID for the O/S you can mix and match drives, and will be a lot more flexible than an off the shelf nas

The best way is a NAS box, another option is if your router have a USB port and your disk is USB then you can connect it to your router.

sorry for bad English.

Back