Any one fancy having a go at repairing a 64 meg dump of this Jasper for me? xbox 360

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right, as some of you know I've had a mare with this Jasper, I just can't repair the bad block, tried loads of times with jtag tool, but after I've done what the guides say then if I compare them again they are even worse so I'm not doing it right, I've got the 64 meg of the 512 meg jasper and have them saved (thank god I found the command out for reading just the 1st 64 meg of the nand as the 512 takes about 45 minutes per read)

I know that the bad block is in 8 which is located at 1FF....

Any way I just can't do it......alas I have to hold my hands up in the air and say I'm defeated by it.!

I've been following the jtag guide tutorial, and that hasn't worked and then also the nandpro3 one where you run the commands in a dos windows. This is where I start to loose it, they go on talking about writing the ECC and you'll get an error etc, virtual nands and the like.

This is where I start to loose it.... I have a bad block at position 008 x 1FF and I'm trying to manually fix it, but can't quite get my head around the dos commands so an automatic nice GUI (jtag tool) for example comes in handy for us n00bs.

I've got a "drop box" account so can share it with some kind sole.....never mind all the abandoned kittens, hamsters and chi-wowers.......my nand is much more important!

If you are unfortunate enough to have a bad block in the first 50 blocks (where the ecc file goes), you'll find it hard to get the CPU key. Ironically, once you have the CPU key, Multi_builder will happily remap the block for you. Before you get there, you'll need to do it manually:

example: Bad block at 0x49 remapped to xxxxx.

If it's the first bad block on the NAND, it'll be remapped to 0x3FF on 16MB NANDs and 0xFF8 on 256/512MB NANDs.

1. Take a copy of your original NAND and keep it safe. Call the copy nandecc.bin.

Done this

2. Write the ecc file to your NAND as per normal. You'll get an error writing to one of the blocks. Don't worry about it for now.

Not sure on this?

3. run NANDPro to inject the ecc file into your VNAND:

So this was the tut that I'd been following: and got so far but then decided that I best check what I'm doing...

If you are unfortunate enough to have a bad block in the first 50 blocks (where the ecc file goes), you'll find it hard to get the CPU key. Ironically, once you have the CPU key, Multi_builder will happily remap the block for you. Before you get there, you'll need to do it manually:

example: Bad block at 0x49 remapped to xxxxx.

If it's the first bad block on the NAND, it'll be remapped to 0x3FF on 16MB NANDs and 0xFF8 on 256/512MB NANDs.

1. Take a copy of your original NAND and keep it safe. Call the copy nandecc.bin.

2. Write the ecc file to your NAND as per normal. You'll get an error writing to one of the blocks. Don't worry about it for now.

3. run NANDPro to inject the ecc file into your VNAND:

Big/Small block NAND:

Nandpro nandecc.bin: +w16 image_ecc.ecc

(+w16 works for both as the image you're writing is less than 16MB. In truth, +w2 should also work).

4. Extract the block we're re-mapping:

Small Block NAND:

Nandpro nandecc.bin: -r16 bb1.bin 49 1

Big Block NAND:

Nandpro nandecc.bin: -r64 bb1.bin 49 8

5. Write the block to the NAND, replacing the remapped one from the stock image:

Small Block NAND:

Nandpro usb: -w16 bb1.bin 3FF

Big Block NAND:

Nandpro usb: -w64 bb1.bin FF8

With any luck, you should now be booting to XeLL.

Any one fancy having a go for me at re-mapping the bad block.

Re: Any one fancy having a go at repairing a 64 meg dump of this Jasper for me? xbox

May not be accurate, too much to drink...

LOL

Re: Any one fancy having a go at repairing a 64 meg dump of this Jasper for me? xbox

lol! i'll wait till you have a clear head mate! ha!

*passes a virtual beer to Oggy*

lghr11977+cheers-beers-and-lagers-mini-poster.jpg

nandpro orig.bin: -r64 bad1FF.bin 1FF 1
nandpro orig.bin: +w64 theeccfile.ecc
nandpro theeccfile.ecc: -r64 good1FF_needscalc.bin 1FF 1
nandpro orig.bin: -w64 bad1FF.bin 1FF 1
nandpro orig.bin: +w64 good1FF_needscalc.bin 3FFF 1

Just make sure you keep the orig.bin copied and unmodified somewhere in case I've done that wrong.

I changed the image name of the nand before i started to orig.bin as you have that listed.

How ever just seem to be getting errors.....

25-12-201122-43-15.jpg

I might fire you the nand via dropbox via pm...! if your not shit faced by now? lololol....

You didnt create the .ecc

---

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Oggy>cd c:\nandpro3
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Oggy>cd c:\nandpro30

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: -r64 bad1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Using Virtual Nand Device File: orig.bin
Flash Config: 0x00AA3020
Block Size: 128KB Block Limits: 0x0001FF..0x0001FF
File: bad1ff.bin
Reading
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: +w64 image_00000000.ecc
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Block Size: 128KB Block Limits: 0x000000..0x000FFF
File: image_00000000.ecc
Opt: Spare data will be initialized
Opt: Block markers will be initialized
Opt: Ecc will be re-calculated
Writing
004F

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro image_00000000.ecc: -r64 good1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Using Virtual Nand Device File: image_00000000.ecc
Flash Config: 0x01198010
Block Size: 16KB Block Limits: 0x0001FF..0x0001FF
File: good1ff.bin
Reading
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: -w64 bad1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Writing
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: +w64 good1ff.bin 3fff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Block Size: 128KB Block Limits: 0x003FFF..0x003FFF
Writing
3FFF

c:\Nandpro30>

Think the last one should be FFF 1

I'll redo it when I'm feeling better, if only this was alcohol induced :(

Nice one! I thought you'd be suffering from alcohol, but what is it? I had a crab yesterday and I'm sure I ate some of the "dead mans fingers" had a few toilet trips shall we say! lolol...!

Thanks man!

Is that my nand that you been playing with?

appreciated.!

(I'm having a read back to see where I've messed up....thanks again man) I'll await further destructions!

3am cold shivers/sweats :(

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: -r64 bad1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Reading
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: +w64 image_00000000.ecc
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Block Size: 128KB Block Limits: 0x000000..0x000FFF
File: image_00000000.ecc
Writing
004F

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro image_00000000.ecc: -r64 good1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Using Virtual Nand Device File: image_00000000.ecc
Flash Config: 0x01198010
Block Size: 16KB Block Limits: 0x0001FF..0x0001FF
Reading
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: -w64 bad1ff.bin 1ff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Writing
01FF

c:\Nandpro30>nandpro orig.bin: +w64 good1ff.bin fff 1
NandPro v3.0a by Tiros

Block Size: 128KB Block Limits: 0x000FFF..0x000FFF
Writing
0FFF

c:\Nandpro30>

3am cold shivers/sweats :(
Me too been out of it for 10 days. Worst "Flu" I have had in many years......Sorry Dibbs for going off topic.
Glad too see you have Oggy helping you out in remapping your bad blocks. Im sorry my memory couldn't stretch to how I did it back in the day....mine was/is a BB jasper 256 too btw. You will find that most of the tools that come out are fine but always read the write ups due to the fact that you have a BB Jasper.

No problem, there's loads of that "flu" stuff going about so touch wood I haven't managed to get any of it this year!

Any way, talk about diving in at the deep end, what was looking like it was going to be a straight forward "lets get my head around this jtag" thingy has turned out to be a steep learning curve like!

Now ended up having to manual read about the whole jasper and the big block nands! writing and reading nands (repairing bad blocks!) and trying in vain to get my head around the dos commands etc.

Still, getting there with the help of the forum "Oggy" big respect, good job we got people around for this that know what were talking about.

Who said that they'd have a Jasper 1st? the old xenon is flawless and hasn't let me down yet!

Come this far though, so there's no point in turning around now!

Cheers.

Mate, I spent ages with a bad block - couldnt get it to work for ages.

The fecking CPU_RST wire had snagged and was damaged, thats why it wasnt glitching.

I learned alot about bad block remapping then.

Drives you mad don't it? You know it's a bad block and the memory location and then reading about it, (been a steep learning curve, just thank full that I've been used to reading and writing a few things in the past *ahem* *ahem* (Blackkatz) but this whole xbox thing was a very steep learning curve!..lol) would seem that after you re-check and then re-check everything is soldered correctly etc you still have the same bad block! Had to be one bad block like didn't it! couldn't of been an easy flawless victory, had to be a snag!

Appreciated for the repair of the nand, Thanks very much for the sound advice and the tips.

Tops!

Thanks for the repaired nand Oggy! appreciated, alas, I'm back with more questions!

Tried dos commands following the instructions:

Copy your nanddump.bin file from the nandpro3 folder, to …

360_Multi_Builder\Data\my360

Launch Run.exe from the 360_Multi_Builder folder

Press the number corresponding to your motherboard revision, and hit Enter

When I select the jasper I then get the following screen:

26-12-201117-47-41.jpg

It doesn't look as though it's going through what the tut says or shows?

So, me being me, thought I'd try it "jtag" tool and when I select the "create ECC" then i get the following error:

26-12-201117-46-06-1.jpg

What ya think? time to hang up my boots?

I made your nand with ecc.

I told you the command to write in the pm.

nandpro usb: -w64 orig.bin

ah! never seen that! Sorry man, guess I need to concentrate, what with HDD failure today (see other post) I guess I just got too much happening...........need to relax and chill out a bit, bit of a lot more than I can chew.! cuppa time!

By cuppa you mean 12 cans, right?

I wish! lol...last time I touched a drop was Feb, could of been March though, but it has been a long time! I'm sure I used to be able to "mod" better when I was blotto! all though saying that a few tracks used to get lifted....

Last edited:

What ya think?

Got 2 errors when writing...

26-12-201119-27-38.jpg

Back