Any of you chaps into DE shaving?

<Old thread resurrection warning>

For my Christmas, my eldest gave me a Merkur DE Razor and a tub of Sandalwood Shaving Cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street (I later added a Badger Brush, stand, and bowl to my collection).

Before cracking on with the task, I read up on DE Shaving, and Shaving in general from one of the last bastions of manliness left on the internet, the appropriately named The Art Of Manliness.

I gingerly scraped the razor against my face for the first few passes, but before long I had became quite deft at wielding my shiny new razor across the finer contours of my face. Fair enough, I had a few slight nicks the first time around, but it didn't take long before I had it down to a fine art.

If you're looking for a quick shave, then DE isn't for you. The 3/4/5 blade disposables have their place, and are great for a quick fix, but for a truly great shave, you can't get much better than a close shave from a DE.
Sure you can get even closer by using a straight edge, but why run the risk of slicing a jugular or possible disfigurement for the sake of a shave? The DE is known as a Safety Razor for a reason!

Using a DE Razor takes time, I look on it as a ritual. Make sure you have at least 20 minutes free in the bathroom for the first few goes, then as time goes on and your technique improves, you'll find that you're taking far less time to shave than you once were.

Until I was given my DE, I was a Gillette Fusion (Razor Sharp) Man, but now I look on disposable cartridge type shaves as a much inferior shave to one which could have been gotten from a good DE.

With a Gillette I had to shave every day, but now I can go 2 x days after a DE shave.

If you do opt for DE shaving, do your research first. There are good and average makes of Razors as well as different types of blades. Do you go for a Shaving Cream or Soap, and which brand do you choose? There's also the questions of which After Shave Balm (if any) should you use? There are also a number of different brush types to go for such as synthetic or natural, and if natural is it Hog or Badger, if Badger do you want Pure, Best, Super, Silvertip, Two-Band?

I'm a firm DE Razor convert. As well as the obvious environmental issues such as the endless waste of materials involved with Cartridge type shaving, there's also the fact that the Olde Worlde shaving creams are made out of natural products and don't rely on CFC's/propellants to squirt their chemical concoctions onto your palm.

After care is also important. I prefer to rinse my face off afterwards with freezing cold water out of the tap as this closes the pores. I'd recommend a good quality Balm afterwards such as L'Ocittane Cade.

If you're busy and can't commit to a DE shave during the week, then at least give your face a treat at the weekend :)

Ive been DE shaving for about 3 years now and would not go back to a safety razor.... ever!

I bought a Parker 22R thinking i can pick up a more expensive one later on, well that won't happen the Parker fits me and my face just fine and it's not going to be replaced.

I prefer to shave right after a hot shower as I find it easier too

I only shave my balls these days, and Im not going near them with one of those bad boys!! Pro-tip, dont shave your balls, then use Original source (Tea tree and mint). Very very painful!!!

And nice to see an old face @Seedy_r0m

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Janobi :D

This "unplugged, back to basics" shaving malarkey is becoming a bit of an obsession with me now.

I used to like the convenience of the 5 minute, quickie (sub-standard) shave of my Mach 3, but I've since progressed (regressed?) to my DE, which I was delighted with, but now I've done an HG Wells and have put a bid in for an antique Puma Solingen cut throat from the bay (still to receive and test it, review to follow).

I thought that a straight razor was the pinnacle of shaving until I had a chat with my Da' about removing the whiskers. He mentioned something called a Rolls Razor that his uncle used to have. On reading about such a device, and watching numerous YT videos about the subject, I decided that I had to have one, so I've put a bid in for one, and will report back as soon as I've tried it out.

Check this out for some retro SteamPunk coolness:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Clean shaven blokes can (for the most part) be trusted, beardies are worth the watching :)

Cheers for that link @Seedy_r0m, never seen that before & you're right, cool as feck that is (won't be bidding against you though:proud:)
Let us know how you get on.
HH.

Having tried the following methods of shaving:

○ Covering bum fluff with milk and getting the neighbours cat to lick it off.
○ Electric Foil (Wilkinson, Braun, Remington, Panasonic).
○ 2/3/4/5 & upwards electric & unplugged multi-blade cartridge.
○ Rolls Razor (Imperial 2 & Viscount).
○ Cut Throat Razor (Smiling Blade & Straight).
○ Straight Razor (Shavette).
○ DE (Merkur with Medical Prep Blades)

I can honestly state that my preferred options (in descending order), and reasons for are:

○ Merkur DE with Medical Prep Blades. The first few passes are harsh, but these blades are seriously sharp. Styptic pencil a must until you break the blade in! Very smooth shave with (some practise) great results.

○ Straight Razor. Who doesn't want to say that they can shave with a cut throat? Manliness at its utmost, try this once at least. Easy places to shave are neck & cheek. If you are a bit unsteady, stop there. Most folks chins are tricky and have as many curves and edges as a NATO folding shovel, so if you feel woozy at the sight of blood (especially your own), stop there and finish off using a safer option. Make sure yours are properly honed & stropped before use.

○ Rolls Razor. Try this at least once. This was high-tech back in the day. I love scraping the stubble off using my 2 x Rolls Razors.
--
Worst shave
○ Shavette - I used a Med' Prep blade with this. I ended up looking like Freddie Kruger's bitch.

Back