advent 7084 recovery

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
anybody got a set of recovery discs for an advent 7084 laptop?

or know were i can get them?

i've got 8115 if that would be any good ?

to be honest mate i have no idea. it aint my laptop, so dont know much about it. my uncle gave me it with loads of viruses, so i wiped everything off it thinking that i could just install any copy of xp on it. but it doesnt seem to be the case. i didnt realise that i could have made a set of discs before wiping it, but its too late for that now.

i know that it originaly had xp media centre on it. i aint sure if any advent disc would at least get it up and running. no doubt there maybe driver differences etc, but they can be sorted if i can at least get it going.

it's the same people that make the 8115,

http://support.thetechguys.com//recoverymedia/

i don't mind popping a backup in the post if you want, maybe you could call them and ask but there bound to say that you need the one you asked for.....

why can't you install xp or vista with out the recovery discs?

Last edited:
it's the same people that make the 8115,

http://support.thetechguys.com//recoverymedia/

i don't mind popping a backup in the post if you want, maybe you could call them and ask but there bound to say that you need the one you asked for.....

why can't you install xp or vista with out the recovery discs?

i just had a look and the spec for your laptop is completely different. so i dont know if the discs would do it or not.

i cant install any other version of xp, because every time i try it, i get errors and the blue screen of death. i know that i can buy the discs from thetechguys, but i dont want to spend the money on the discs incase that aint the problem. it could be a problem with the hard drive or something.

so i want to get the advent discs to see if they work or not before replacing the Hard drive.

i aint worked with any of these advent computers to know whether or not they require the proper discs to reinstall the operating system, or whether i can use my own!

i now the version of xp i tried to install is definately working as i have it running on about 10-15 different computers and laptops just now. so there is no problem with that.

now that i think about it. i downgraded a laptop recently from vista to xp and im sure it was an advent, so there is obviously something else wrong with this laptop.

she only stays up the road from me, so i will try her recovery discs and see what happens. that will save you sending me set. but i suspect that the hard drive is on its way out.

i will check out those discs and update this thread when i do.

if it was working before don't think it's the hard drive, some times when you wipe a lap top then you wipe the little boot partition that the back up disc's make for the installation, seen a lap top that i done my self and wiped it and then couldn't install xp with out loads of hassle and making a floppy of some sort.......

I have an Advent 7301 laptop which I wiped clean and went from Vista to XP, thinking I could get the drivers off the net. (Silly me, I have vast knowledge of desktops but this was my first laptop.)

Yeah I found all the drivers but they were for Vista, some worked on XP, but I still don't have my graphics or sound drivers working (even though they are the easiest drivers on the planet to find and install).

So I know how you feel.

But do try the tech guys, they cover Advents, I got a sticky put up for their drivers incase anyone else came across my problem, it is at the top of this section, most are for Vista but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Here is the link, looks like everything for your laptop is XP:
http://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={da5041de-d07c-4ded-9735-68deaacad7ca}&CatID={d03c1bba-552c-4482-95b6-525ce55759d7}

Will save you the hassle of pestering her up the road, lol.

Due to the silly brackets in the link you are going to have to copy and paste it into your browser. Can't seem to get a clickable link out of it.

Last edited:
it a full fresh install.

i am able to load all the setup files to the laptop, and get to the screen were i press enter to install.

it says you have chosen to install on a partition that includes another xp etc. to continue press c.

i choose quick format partition

after the format, it copies all the setup files. then the computer reboots

gets to the xp splash screen.

then i get an error box, with an application failed initialise properly (xc000006). then it reboots and goes into a continues loop of crashing at the same point.

each time a try a new install, it seems to be giving an error at different points. this is the furthest its went. previously it had been going to a BSOD right after the xp splash screen. now it going to the BSOD, its just rebooting over and over

im sure there was previously. i will retry it and see

yes. press d to delete partition.

i have 2 partitions, partition 1 (eisa utilities) 4863mb which i assume is a recovery partition and 2 which is the one im trying to install on too.

Last edited:
i have deleted and recreated the partition, done a quick format and i will how i get on.

one thing i have noticed is that the setup files are now copying quicker, they were a little slow the last time.

lap tops are a pain in the behind man when it comes to putting windows on, i took a friends from work home and had exactly the same problem, like i was saying earlier, there was a partition that the windows files needed and that was missing so windows would hang when it restarted after installing the files.

I left it and went to bed and low and behold windows had installed the next morning when i got up....bizzare....i won;t touch them now when people need help formatting them...i walk away......

Good luck man, together we'll get you up and running...:Clap:

lol

now its getting to the same point.

but its saying something about, not enough virtual memory...... page file something under new operation. disappears to quick to fully read it

it went slightly further after i just left it in this continuous loop.

i can now see the xp check list thing on the left hand side.

were it says

collecting information
dynamic update
preparing installation

then it reboots without an error

im going to just leave it for a while and see if it sorts itsself out and goes to the next step

just seen this on the web site....

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7084.htm

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.

There are two ways to start the recovery -
Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed.

In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery.

The recovery will load and display a box with one option:

Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers.

This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.

To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.

System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers.

It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.
System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.

Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.

You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes.

The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.

fook just seent his as well.... Due to the nature of the recovery process you should not use FDISK or any other partition management software to delete the partition on your Advent computer. Doing so will prevent the recovery from functioning correctly.

yes i came across this post last week when i was googling for a solution.

f10 does nothing but makes the computer beep at me

fook just seent his as well.... Due to the nature of the recovery process you should not use FDISK or any other partition management software to delete the partition on your Advent computer. Doing so will prevent the recovery from functioning correctly.

unfortunately i had already formatted by the time i found this page last week. but the recovery partition is still there. but i dont know how to access it now

Back