acer aspire black screen problems

jenks3980

Inactive User
Reaction score
Re;-My son's Acer aspire 5735 laptop has a screen problem, when you boot up everything loads up but the screen stays black, you can very faintly see the desktop icons, when you press fn+f6 it comes on for a few seconds then disappears again, When I connect to an external monitor I can see desktop with no problems..

Looking at previous thread's sounds like it's the inverter, but as I know jack about laptops a friend of a friend is looking at it and he said he thinks it's the graphics motor !!!! what ever that is. is this a possibility or is he pulling mine hoping to make a quick buck out of me.
many thanks
Jenks3980

that's what I think seeing previous threads but not got a clue with laptops is there anyway it could be this graphic's motor that this guy's talking about as I don't want to upset him if its a possibility

Last edited:
If it works with another monitor then its most likely the inverter as it sounds like the backlight has gone on your lappy screen. Make sure you get the exact inverter for your machine because they are not always interchangeable, unfortunately. Changing the inverter is a two minute job on the lappy, slide the panel above the keyboard off then lift out the keyboard to expose the inverter, remove two screws then remove the push fit connector then replace with new one, job done. Good luck.

EDIT

You will probably have to remove the screen bezel also so that you can lift the screen slightly to remove the inverter ... another four tiny screws unfortunately !!

Last edited:
Yes almost certainly the inverter,it's not quite a two minute job,rodboy is very quick with his hands,so I'm told anyway :D,

But it is very doable and you will most likely find a video of how to do it on YouTube :)

Sent from my Xperia X10 using Tapatalk 2

Yes almost certainly the inverter,it's not quite a two minute job,rodboy is very quick with his hands,so I'm told anyway :D,

But it is very doable and you will most likely find a video of how to do it on YouTube :)

Sent from my Xperia X10 using Tapatalk 2

pmsl

Okay, on reflection, slightly longer than a two minute job ............. but not much more !!

Anyway, don't be scared to have a go and do it yourself, it's really not that teccy, all you are doing is replacing like for like ..... like changing the fuse in a plug perhaps, ie, take it apart, replace the dud part then put it back together.

Get stuck in there !!

Job, two minutes, hand....all in the same sentence. I'm just wondering how wiz knows this!

Relatively easy to replace on Acers, usually just remove the front bezel, remove the screws from the base and then pop out the keyboard. Probably about an hour all in if your tech savvy, a little longer if not.

Rod is right, don't be afraid, most things are replaceable anyway. Just watch the bezel around the screen as it can be quite thin, but just prize it out with a small flat screwdriver.

Does sound like the inverter though and as i said somewhere else, just make sure it's working before piecing it all back together.

Back