wireless security

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin who lives nextdoor but one has detected my router from his laptop.I said its got 128bit wep encryptio on it though and he said he has cpl of programes that can get round it no probs.Is this true if so are there any measures i can take to make things more secure?I have 2 firewalls operational on my pc too and my wep is set to my pc and my router.But if anyone knows of any programes and or methods of making it secure i would appreciate it.Thanks for looking guys :)

yes, the encryption can be sniffed. but the best way is to setup MAC address filtering on access point, router:)

I think he is bluffing you mate, yep it can be broken but not easily, I once attempted this as a test and after two weeks of sniffing millions of packets still no joy. like mentioned above, set mac address filtering as a secondary source and tell your cousin nothing. also make sure your comp is password protected and he never has access to it lol

Capdan

yeah,i have a neighbour who is pretty good at getting into my router so i have now enabled mac filters and hes not got back in (as far as i know,:banana: ).enable your mac filter and change your router password.

thanks guys ive still got my 128bit wep ive turned off my ssid broadcast and setup mac filtering. I have also put a password on my pc like you said capdan so hopefully theres fair few layers of security there to keep him and other peeps off unless they are true proffesional hackers ofc! i noticed an option to bloke anonamous wan requests too so ive enabled that.

You are safe mate, as I said the easyest way for him to access your computer is to break in to your house lol. Never leave him alone with your computer if it is logged on as it would be easy for him to install some software that would allow him to gain access

Capdan

capdan said:
You are safe mate, as I said the easyest way for him to access your computer is to break in to your house lol. Never leave him alone with your computer if it is logged on as it would be easy for him to install some software that would allow him to gain access

Capdan

Agree wep alone is not that secure but with the measures mentioned above you will be as secure as you can be. no one is 100% secure unless you want to unplug your internet connection.

Hi

I managed to crack the wep key on my router so it is very possible.
Also mac filtering will only give some added securiy as this is easily spoofed with the right software.

you would be much more secure with wpa as i dont think its been cracked yet.

Also not all wireless routers with wep enabled can be cracked as some have inbuilt protection from packet injectors that are needed to crack them.

Id say the chances of you getting hacked are very slim tho.

you would need to be familiar with linux and most people are into windows.
Even then the configurations are very tempremental and confusing.

hope this helps

im using wep because the nintendo ds uses wep encryption only but after reading up as long as you have layers of security it makes it very difficult to gain entry far to lengthy of a process for my cousin im sure lol. i see it as having a motorbike you cant stop em nicking it you can only slow em down!

Use WPA if your router has it as it is much more secure than WEP which has well published weakness. Also keep the mac filtering turned on and you should be ok, unless someone really wants to get into your computer.

Back