wireless problem

nemesis1975

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have just set up my wireless in the last couple of days alls going great i can fileshare with my pc and everything,the connection on the pc is brilliant and generally so is the connection on laptop except every 30-45 mins the laptop will lose the connection for a couple of minutes andyone have any ideas whats causing this.im using a mentor WLG-R4II router and the laptop has built in wireless.

nemesis1975 said:
i have just set up my wireless in the last couple of days alls going great i can fileshare with my pc and everything,the connection on the pc is brilliant and generally so is the connection on laptop except every 30-45 mins the laptop will lose the connection for a couple of minutes andyone have any ideas whats causing this.im using a mentor WLG-R4II router and the laptop has built in wireless.

change the time set on the router to 24 hours

allroad said:
change the time set on the router to 24 hours
forgive give my thickness lol ive been onto my router page and dont see anywhere to change the routers time setting where would it be.

also noticed that the speed of the laptops connection keeps going up and down alot it drops as low as 1mbps and as high as 54mbps

Last edited:
does your laptop have XP service pack 2, it improves connectivity.
also make sure that power management isn't switching off your card to save power - it should be set to "continuous access mode" in device manager > network adapter > properties.

do you have any sort of encryption enabled, WEP/WPA ?

zhinkler said:
does your laptop have XP service pack 2, it improves connectivity.
also make sure that power management isn't switching off your card to save power - it should be set to "continuous access mode" in device manager > network adapter > properties.

do you have any sort of encryption enabled, WEP/WPA ?
built in wireless is by intel power saving is set at highest for maximum performance instead of lowest to save power and ive got no encryption enabled.and laptop has xp home and sp2

thanx folks ive fixed it just updated the built in intel wireless drivers and its been fine since.

nemesis1975 said:
built in wireless is by intel power saving is set at highest for maximum performance instead of lowest to save power and ive got no encryption enabled.and laptop has xp home and sp2

No encryption.....where do you live I am coming for some free internet....

Mairyhinge said:
No encryption.....where do you live I am coming for some free internet....
haha why not ive been doing the same driving round with the laptop in the car picking up wireless.

Back