Wireless Network help needed

pepsi2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have set up a home network that consists of 2 PCs and a router. The main PC is in the same room as the router and connects via a physical cable connection. The 2nd PC is in another room and connects wirelessly to the router. The two PCs can access the internet and both can ping the router but none of the two PCs can ping each other and they cannot see each other on the network. I cannot access the router from any of the two PCs as it asks me for a username and password that I can't remember setting up. There is a default username and passphrase on the base of the router but this also does not give me access to the router. Another problem is that the network is not secure. I am using a Netgear MR814v2TW Router. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Check the IP addresing, you may find the wired network is on a differing subnet to the wireless one.

As you cant have two network cards on the same subnet

I would have thought that the router would AUTO assign IP's for the computers.

Default User and Passwords are

User = admin
Password = admin

Have you ran the network setup wizard on both PC's to make sure they are both on the same network group?

If you are running Norton Internet Security it is really temperamental with wireless networks. I run 3 PC'c on my home network and my main pc can see all others but they can't see mine unless I do some firewall tweaking or disabling.

Just some other things for you to consider, in your quest.

Good Luck!

If the two pc's can not ping each other check to see if you have winxp firewall turned on. if you have then this will block the ping request, you need to reconfig firewall to allow ping.

What are you trying to do anyway? share resources? files printers ect......
if so right click the folder or printer you wish to share and select sharing and security, then switch on file sharing.

to access the files go start, run, \\192.168.1.1 (obviously with the ip address of the computer that holds the files you wish to access, once you have done this you will see a list of shares available. you can now map a network drive which will add a vertual drive of that folder within my computer)

Hope this helps

Capdan

Problem solved. Managed to reset the router, enable the encryption and setup the 2 PCs to the same workgroup. Now the network is up and running the two PCs can communicate and share resources. The network is also secure. Thanks for your help.

Back