winona ryder ......

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hollywood actress Winona Ryder has been sentenced to 480 hours community service for shoplifting. During her sentence, she will work with babies suffering from Aids and with blind children. She was also given three years supervised probation for stealing from a Beverly Hills boutique.

Beverly Hills Superior Court Judge Elden Fox said: "If you steal again, you will go to jail. Do you understand that?"

She was also ordered to pay more than $10,000 in fines and damages.

Ryder, 31, was sentenced to perform 240 hours community service with the City of Hope, 120 hours with the Foundation for the Junior Blind and 120 hours with Caring For Babies With Aids.

She must complete the community service orders by April 7, 2003.

The fines include $6,355.40 to Saks Fifth Avenue and a total of $3,700 to the State of California by January 31, 2003.

Ryder must also undergo drug and psychiatric counselling.

Judge Fox said: "I intend to hold you accountable.

"You have disappointed many people who have been entertained and inspired by your talent and acts of kindness over many years."

Ryder was caught shoplifting in Saks Fifth Avenue on December 12 last year and was carrying eight different pain-killing prescription drugs.

The hearing began with Saks making a statement that they lost $7m-a-year to shoplifers.

The store said the money could have gone into staff pensions but instead it went to "criminals".

The Saks' lawyer said: "Shoplifters are picking the pockets of American people."

He also accused Ms Ryder of "making light" of pending criminal charges.

She was found guilty last month of stealing designer clothes worth more than £3,000 from the exclusive Saks Fifth Avenue store in Beverly Hills in December last year.

Ryder, star of "Girl, Interrupted" and "Age of Innocence," had pleaded not guilty but did not testify during the 10-day trial.

Her lawyers accused both Saks and prosecutors of targeting her because of her celebrity.

But it emerged after the trial that the actress had been involved in suspected shoplifting incidents three times at other posh department stores since May, 2000 but had never been charged.

She got off too lightly.

These celebs seems to get away with criminal activities whereas the likes of you and me would have been sent down.

They earn more than enough money so why steal ... does not make sense.

If I earnt half their money I wouldn't see the need to even think about stealing let alone do it.

Perhaps I am missing something (apart from their money)

Back