Windows Server 2012

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the default tcp windows size on a fresh install of Windows 2012 Server (Data Centre Edition)

I hate to ask but, you would care because?

just setup 8 x 2012 server with 4 x 1 GB NIC teamed together

running iperf to get bandwidth usage only giving me 25 Mbit/sec - which obviously isnt right

done same test on a 2008 R2 server running under VMWare 5 and get a good solid 200 MBit/sec

so I suspect issue is with the TCP Window sizde, so need to know the default settings on 2012 as I may need to adjust it or some network config isnt right on the server.

just setup 8 x 2012 server with 4 x 1 GB NIC teamed together

running iperf to get bandwidth usage only giving me 25 Mbit/sec - which obviously isnt right

done same test on a 2008 R2 server running under VMWare 5 and get a good solid 200 MBit/sec

so I suspect issue is with the TCP Window sizde, so need to know the default settings on 2012 as I may need to adjust it or some network config isnt right on the server.

TBH I'd go for auto-negotiation bolloxed. Assuming this is a commercial environment I'd lock the server/switch to a 'reliable' speed.

TBH I'd go for auto-negotiation bolloxed. Assuming this is a commercial environment I'd lock the server/switch to a 'reliable' speed.

unfortunately I dont have access to the routers switches to change any settings.

got some really interesting results . .running iperf with the -r switch so it sends and recieve network packet

from client (2003 server) to server (2012 server) get around 23 Mbits/sec
when server (2012 server) sends to client (2003 server) get a good solid 300 Mbits/sec

so on the 2012 server something not correct hence such low results I get

got some really interesting results . .running iperf with the -r switch so it sends and recieve network packet

from client (2003 server) to server (2012 server) get around 23 Mbits/sec
when server (2012 server) sends to client (2003 server) get a good solid 300 Mbits/sec

so on the 2012 server something not correct hence such low results I get

Set the 2012 server to 100Mb/s half duplex and work up. When you get fastest 'reliable' try full-duplex. Bleeding drivers lol

Anyone messing around windows 2012 server should probably read this doc.

In answer to your question, I believe as outlined on page 30, TCPIP window size is set to auto my default on W2K12.

Attachments

• performance-tuning-guidelines-windows-server-2012.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Anyone messing around windows 2012 server should probably read this doc.

In answer to your question, I believe as outlined on page 30, TCPIP window size is set to auto my default on W2K12.

Good document M8 but I reckon eliminate simpler stuff first.

Back