windows media player 8

S

scoot

Microsoft Admits XP Media Player Spies on Users

Microsoft denied that any of the information collected by Windows Media Player will be sold, used for direct marketing or stored on the basis of DVD popularity.

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) has confirmed that the Windows XP version of its Windows Media Player is programmed to track which CDs users listen to and which DVDs they watch. The company also has altered its privacy statement to admit that its player software tracks DVD content, which was not previously mentioned.

However, the company downplayed privacy concerns. For example, Microsoft disputed claims by snooping software watchdog Richard Smith that Windows Media Player 8, which comes bundled with Windows XP, cannot be turned off and poses a threat to privacy because of its tracking capabilities.

Privacy advocates said the media player's capabilities fly in the face of Microsoft's "trustworthy computing" initiative, a new dedication to security and privacy that the company announced last month.

"This is a new level of profiling that I think is dangerous," Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) legislative counsel Chris Hoofnagle told NewsFactor. "Microsoft says it's concerned about privacy, but where is your ability to control information about yourself?"

Watching the Watching

Technical reviews and media reports indicate that Windows Media Player 8 is designed to track which DVD ***les users watch on their PCs by contacting a Microsoft Web server and transmitting an electronic fingerprint for the movie and a cookie for the PC.

Windows Media Player also reportedly builds a database of DVD movies and CD music played on a specific user's PC.

In addition, the media player has been criticized for default settings that enable tracking, difficulty in accessing or clearing the database, and an inability to stop the program from contacting Microsoft servers.

Statement Updated

In response to privacy concerns, Microsoft said the media player features aim to allow better navigation of the player and of DVD movies. The company added that its cookies do not contain personally identifiable information and can be cleared or blocked from within the Internet Explorer browser.

And although Microsoft updated its privacy statement for the Windows XP Media Player to refer to the tracking of DVD content, it said the new statement also will specify that "no tracking of user viewing is taking place."

Microsoft denied that any of the information collected by Windows Media Player will be sold, used for direct marketing or stored on the basis of DVD popularity.

Content Consequences

EPIC's Hoofnagle said history shows that tracking the content individuals consume can have political consequences. He claimed the Windows Media Player technology marks a troubling trend from a privacy perspective.

"This will be the first of many realizations that software is being written so it can log content consumption," he said. "We're just coming on the brink of this."

Referring to required linkage to Microsoft Passport, which also has come under fire from privacy advocates, Hoofnagle said he is worried that users will be required to allow data collection and will not have control over the content with which they are associated.

"Currently, they're associating you with content," Hoofnagle added. "Down the road, it will be a means to charge as well as profile individuals based on their content habits."

who neeeds spyware??????

regards scoot

i am useing windows media player 9 is that ok ?

on the rag an bone at this very moment

not a clue mi old bum chum???

ill just get onto president clitern of the f.b.i.

and ask him ,

answer to follow

scoot

Think that if you go into tools of Media Player and remove the tick from the 'Allow Internet sites to uniquely identify your player' this will stop the above spying.

freemasons

i cant abide these secret messages country boy , lol,

dont worry the forum have heard about your tendancies to wear womens skirts whilst jigging around a maypole , rrlmao,

whereve ya been again yer in fer a week out for a week,

i dont know about me coming out,

yer go out more times than the gas, lol,

regards scoot

Back