Windows Disaster Recovery CD/image

tarapoochy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have always made an image of my systems onto an external hard disk when I have them set up and up to date, and always made the disaster recovery CD at the end so I can boot from it and recover the whole setup. However, I tried using one of my images to recover a system onto a new hard disk the other day it just kept failing and claiming there was no suitable disk to recover to!

I have subsequently tried another system (by taking out the working drive and putting a blank one in) and it is the same problem. Does anyone know - will the images Windows makes only recover to the original hard disk, not to a new one:questionmark:

Hi all,

I have always made an image of my systems onto an external hard disk when I have them set up and up to date, and always made the disaster recovery CD at the end so I can boot from it and recover the whole setup. However, I tried using one of my images to recover a system onto a new hard disk the other day it just kept failing and claiming there was no suitable disk to recover to!

I have subsequently tried another system (by taking out the working drive and putting a blank one in) and it is the same problem. Does anyone know - will the images Windows makes only recover to the original hard disk, not to a new one:questionmark:

Are you cloning the disk to an image file?
I haven't tested this on Win10, but will give it a go with Acronis True Image 2015

Are you cloning the disk to an image file?
I haven't tested this on Win10, but will give it a go with Acronis True Image 2015

Sorry about the time it has taken to get back.

No, I have been trying Windows 7 own recovery image created from the ontrol panel backup and restore "Create a System Image". Once the image has been saved it offers to make a "System Repair Disc". I thought the idea was that I could boot from this disc, access the saved image and restore it to a new Hard Drive if the original fails. But every time I try it (although it sees the image OK) it says there is no suitable disc to recover to!

Anyone else tried this?

AFAIK a system repair disk does exactlt that it repairs a disk with windows on it, so if you have a blank disk its not going to do anything

Back