What elm obdII prog to read esp abs fault light ?

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi all

Brothers got a 58 plate mondeo estate. ESP and abs light keeps coming on and staying on orange. But there seems no pattern to it. Sometimes turning car off and back on clears it. Sometimes not.

I got a elm obdII lead. But only programs I have on laptop read mil faults.
What do I need to read these faults ?
Free :) ideally

Ty

Hi all

Brothers got a 58 plate mondeo estate. ESP and abs light keeps coming on and staying on orange. But there seems no pattern to it. Sometimes turning car off and back on clears it. Sometimes not.

I got a elm obdII lead. But only programs I have on laptop read mil faults.
What do I need to read these faults ?
Free :) ideally

Ty

While you're waiting...

...most basic OBDII readers won't see these codes. However, most likely fault is one or more wheel sensors or cable/connector (follow it all the way into the body checking for damage). ABS and ESP are interlinked so get one get the other!

If the lights are flicking on and off you may get away with just fixing the fault without needing a code reader although the reader would tell you which sensor to aim for :)

While you're waiting...

...most basic OBDII readers won't see these codes. However, most likely fault is one or more wheel sensors or cable/connector (follow it all the way into the body checking for damage). ABS and ESP are interlinked so get one get the other!

If the lights are flicking on and off you may get away with just fixing the fault without needing a code reader although the reader would tell you which sensor to aim for :)

Hi bud

Ty for reply.
The lights stay on until the car is turned off and back on, although this don't work all the time.

I was thinking it could be muck blocking the sensor disc on the back of the hub ?
I would check the cables but these are covered in plastic shields that require removal of the wheel to get the arch liner off lol. Not what I fancy doing to 4 wheels to find or not find anything. :)

Just check your program (wath are you using) manuals in the site, in most cases with obdII readers it's needed to cross pins, to connect to ABS or AIRBACKs ECU.
example FiatEcuScan Program do not connect ABS or AIRBACKs ECUs if you just stick OBDII cable, for connecting ABS you need to cross pins 3 to 7, for AIRBACK 1 to 3. Easiest way just use a wire between pins.

ABS sensors brakes vary easy, so be careful

Back