Vista reviewed: Why the future could be more expensive than you expect

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Vista reviewed: Why the future could be more expensive than you expect

Microsoft's new system is streets ahead of XP, but is not without its problems

Bill Gates's Microsoft has become the company that people love to hate. And while much of the anger directed its way seems to be based purely on its size and ability to dominate the global software market, campaigners now have a new reason to be cross with the giant. The long-awaited launch of its Vista operating platform earlier this year is costing both home and business users time and, even worse, money,

Few Vista users disagree that the platform is a cut above its predecessor, Windows XP. But while Vista is easier to use, looks better and is much more secure, the internet chat forums are awash with complaints about glitches in the system. Even Microsoft admits that some pieces of key hardware are still not compatible with the new software.

So if you're thinking about upgrading your PC from XP Vista, is it worth the cost?

David Weeks, the Windows client marketing manager for Microsoft UK, argues that Microsoft has made some 2,600 improvements on the XP platform to come up with Vista. "The underlying architecture of the whole Vista system was security," says Weeks. "If anything tries to download in the background, a prompt will pop up allowing you to stop it. Parents also have much more control over what their children can access, and they can impose time limits. While some of this was available on the older system, Vista is also a lot more visual. We've tried to make it much more intuitive."

In terms of entertainment, Vista includes software that allows you to edit photos and make DVDs. Weeks also claims it's easier to get connected to the web and to networks. Moreover, while the chat forums are full of moans about Vista, Weeks says he can show just as many examples of people praising the new platform. "Vista was tested by five million people," he says. "Our support calls have been way down on any other product we've launched."

The main problem with Vista is that if you use a piece of hardware, such as a digital camera, it may not yet be compatible with the platform. While Weeks says that Microsoft is adding more than 2,000 drivers - the software needed to connect your computer to other devices - each month, he admits that some drivers may take some time to be developed, if they ever appear.

"There are frustrations," he says. "But you have to understand that while Microsoft will write the software, it is down to third parties to work with us to supply the drivers for devices."

The easy way to find out whether your computer is compatible with Vista is to go to Microsoft's website, where you can download a small program that will assess your machine.

There are two levels of Vista for consumers - the basic, which costs £100, and premium, which will set you back £150. Brian McGrath, the commercial director of PC World, says the basic package doesn't include the media enhancements, so recommends opting for the premium version. However, he says users with older computers may well need to spend £30 or £40 on ensuring they have at least a gigabyte (GB) of memory. You'll also need at least a 40GB hard drive with 15GB of free capacity.

In terms of concerns over hardware compatibility, McGrath advises consumers to check with the maker of their camera or other devices if they have any doubts. However, he adds that those devices that are not compatible are likely to be older pieces, which can now be replaced for something better for not much money. "If you've got a six-year-old scanner, then you're probably better off replacing it," he says. "You'll probably be able to get one which is far superior to your old one for a very good price."

It's reasonable advice, but it does mean that the upfront cost of Vista may only be the first part of your bill. If you're also having to pay for extra memory and new hardware, the cost may end up running to a few hundred pounds.

Although Microsoft boasts that Vista was tested on five million people, the company is also constantly creating updates that are automatically downloaded on to your system when you turn on your computer. As a result, the platform is getting better by the day. Although you can still buy some new PCs with XP installed, Vista will quickly become the dominant operating system. If you're buying a new PC, there seems little reason to avoid it.

Should I upgrade my PC to Vista?

* Adam Evans, the editor of PC Format magazine, says that while Vista is an impressive system, it is probably not worth paying to upgrade your existing computer.

* "We'd say don't bother upgrading, because you're not getting that much extra," he says. "We recommend holding off until you get a new PC. As long as you're running the right software - anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware - then you don't really need the added security which Vista provides. But it is a better operating system. If you're buying a new PC, it's worth getting one with Vista."

* McGrath says that having recently upgraded his old PC, and also bought a new laptop with Vista pre-installed, he has been impressed. "It turns your PC into more of a Mac type of machine. It looks very cool, and you can also download lots of great gadgets from Microsoft's website. My favourite is a gadget on my desktop which tells me how many minutes it is since Spurs won the league." (It's more than 24 million.)

* However, McGrath agrees that for many people it may be worth waiting till they buy a new machine to get their hands on Vista, rather than upgrading now. With the cheapest laptops (with Vista) now selling for less than £400, it's barely worth paying for an upgrade.

James Daley
Published: 31 March 2007
© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited

Think i would agree with McGrath as it looks impressive , but @ pressnt i reckon not even 10% of the population are using vista because of hardware incompatabilities , i my self have tried vista and love the way it looks , but found software props also , give it a couple of years and the ratio will increase because it has so many good features ie security

true

ive been told not to upgrade to vista yet as there are to many software problems. Ill buy when the service packs come out which i believe microsoft are already writing. once they are out i think it will be fine

ive tried the full version of vista and the beta version and i still stick with xp, as much as the visual side of vista beats xp hands down, xp is better to run games on and other high resource software

it took xp sp2 to convince me that i should go from 2k to xp.
i think it will be a while before i use vista on anything other than a test system.

i recently got a laptop with vista installed

but i ended up downgrading to xp again!

looks are impressive

but drivers .etc aren't

so im gona wait till better drivers come out and a service pack

By the time you've turned off all the useless visual gimmicry and unuasable security features you'd be hard pushed to notice you aren't running XP anymore.

Unless you really need semi-transparent windows and all the other bloat then stick with XP or even (shock horror) NT2000 !

Back