video playback problems

obe1

Member ++
Reaction score
My missus has a toshiba satellite L20-173 laptop, model no: PSL2XE-01400UEN which she has had for about 6 months now. A couple of months ago the dvd playback started to go wrong, the picture and sound was very jerky and the sound was like an echo. I tried a few different codecs and some different software but it made no difference, so far the software list is: media player, real player, quicktime, win dvd, and some toshiba software that was bundled with the laptop but it is the same in all applications. Anyway she doesn't really play any dvds on there so it sort of got left as it was (I got fed up with it), well now she has subscribed to the big brother live streaming on the ch 4 website and she is having problems with that, the sound is just about ok buy the picture looks like a photo slide show. I know it isn't a bandwidth or network problem as the streaming is fine on my pc, now she is threataning to take over my pc while big brother is on unless I fix hers for her.
PLEASE HELP

have u tried un-installing the sound and graphic drivers? then restart and re-install new update driver

There are no updated drivers for it, the ones that came with it are the most up to date but I will have a go at uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers anyway.

I had this problem awhile back and it turned out that it was an audio setting that was causing the problem.

I solved it by opening up media player classic, going to view - options - output
Using the drop down list under DirectShow Audio, I changed it from 'system Default' to my own sound card.

In zoom player, go to Player Options - Tick use custom audio in Media Mode/DVD mode
Click Refresh List and highlight your audio card

Press Manual Save

Not sure if it will work for you but give it a go.

Right I uninstalled the video hardware and then reinstalled it but it made no difference, then I tried chaging all the sound settings in media player, quick time and win dvd but that made no difference either so then I uninstalled and then reinstalled the audio hardware and that has cured the live big brother streaming but the dvd playback is still the same. I'm going to leave it for now cos I don't want to mess up the live streaming, I'll try to figure out what is up after big brother.
Cheers for the help guys.

when you are back on the case ... install latest graphic drivers (then latest sound drivers if any mewer exist (also try windowsupdate.microsoft.com) then install (or reinstall) directx 9.0c

Back