Vans?

fisco2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys looking at purchasing a van
transit, traffic or vivaro

after looking around they all seem to be over 100k milliage?
whats can the engine on these take?
would it be better spending more money n getting one under 80k
cheers guys

i dont have a clue about what van engines can doo lol

Hi guys looking at purchasing a van
transit, traffic or vivaro

after looking around they all seem to be over 100k milliage?
whats can the engine on these take?
would it be better spending more money n getting one under 80k
cheers guys

i dont have a clue about what van engines can doo lol

Stay well clear of masters,movanos,traffics and vivaros m8, they're money pits.

A merc sprinter or a transit is your safest bet.
100000 miles is nothing to these.

how old are these vans you are looking at?
iv just got rid of a vivaro 55 plate with 99k on the clock, as a trade in i got£1500, so dont pay too much for 1 with high miles. the van itself was not bad but there was the odd things starting to go wrong. eg, radio display had gone, started to clunk on front end when hit a bump etc etc

i got rid of a combo aswell that i had for about 3 year we got it from
Used Vans, Vans For Sale, Commercial Vehicles. BMC Rotherham - Broadway Motor Company (they have places all over uk) with 68k on it, got rid with 140k on it, it never let me down. most of the vans they sell are EX TLS Vehicle Rental .
hope that helps a little

It doesn't matter what make or model or too much about mileage, it all depends on how well they have been looked after and how regular they have been serviced and if cared for and serviced regularly then 200K and over should be no problem.
I'm an owner driver courier and drive a merc which I have had from new and which now has 130K (4 years old) and the engine still runs like new.
Mercs are great engine wise but the trim and bodywork is pretty poor in comparison to some of the other vans.

I have a lwb Nissan primastar alternative to the vivaro and it is a waste of time more luxury then a commercial van- a lot of problems with the master slave cylinder and the clutch. I would go for the swb sprinter as they are good work horses. I have a lwb sprinter and it runs perfectly. Maintenance isn’t bad too.

cheers for the mod who moved me post:D
so big no no to traffic

ive been looking at 55 plate vivaro had 120k tht was 4k lool

cheers guys was wondering why theses taffic n vaviro seemed cheaper then good old tranny van

The Renault Trafic, Nissan Primastar, Vauxhall and Opel Vivaro are all the same van but badged up differently. They are built at the IBC (Isuzu Bedford Commercial) Plant which is a General Motors Vauxhall Company at Luton in England. I know this because I worked there for several years.
So if anyone tells you the Nissan is better than the Vauxhall or Renault or vise-versa they are talking out of their backsides because they are one and the same and British made and quality wise have been proven to be better assembled than German competitors.

The Renault Trafic, Nissan Primastar, Vauxhall and Opel Vivaro are all the same van but badged up differently. They are built at the IBC (Isuzu Bedford Commercial) Plant which is a General Motors Vauxhall Company at Luton in England. I know this because I worked there for several years.
So if anyone tells you the Nissan is better than the Vauxhall or Renault or vise-versa they are talking out of their backsides because they are one and the same and British made and quality wise have been proven to be better assembled than German competitors.

lol thats true, that vivaro had renault seat belt tensioners lol,saying that i just got a new belingo van, went looking first , went to peugot an this rep came out telling me all the shite, i just said they the same van, he said ours are a lot better built, pmsl

the daft thing is the price,we(me an my m8) also got 1 of them big van peugeot/shitron/fiat have there badge on, the fiat was a grand cheaper

Last edited:
Never had a bad transit and ive had a few, used to own a few ice cream vans all transits and they used to run constantly for 8 hours a day plus having the extra stress of the whippy machine running off the cam. lol they could be dying a death and still got you through the day. Highly recommended but the seats are crap !!

Merc's, transits, and toyotas run forever if as said they are serviced etc regular, most of those are over 2.0 I'd pay the extra insurance and get a bigger engine, I've a toyota hilux pickup 2wd (hiace is the van) with 183k on and it runs as good as my car with 50k on!

I have driven the previous shape transit vans for probably the last 7 years.
from Y reg with 140K to an X with 200K.
presently drive a 54 plate with 70K .
I drive these daily and they are comfotable and reasonbly reliable workhorses.
Like everything it depends how they are looked after?
Main issues are Wishbone ball joints, but you have to replace the complete wishbone.
Clutches, these can go without any warning as they dont start to slip until there is nothing left and then you are in trouble.
At the first sign of creeping in traffic, get it changed ASAP.
Look at aftermarket replacements to a more standard clutch kit, to avoid this.
Starter motors, on early ones, they had issues with clutch dust contamination resulting in premature failure.
Most got fixed free by dealers if the issue was pushed.
vibration & rattle from the steering colum is pretty common on high milers.
The batteries are mounted under the seat and as such, should be gell batteries, so not to relase fumes into the cab upon charging.
Trim wise if you buy a Single or double cab, with a Tipper body, or similar, watch the vents behind the seat, just above the chasis rail.
These tend to get pushed out easily, due to people putting stuff behind the seat and pushing them out.
Also on chasis cabs the spare wheel is mounted at the rear between the rails and is wound down using a key system in the chasis rail, with an extension bar, with 2 parts.
These tend to get lost and should be in the flap in the footwell.
THe winding down mechanism is on a cable and because of wheres it situated, tends to stick.
Make sure it still drops down otherwise your stuck (trust the voice of experience and several long waits for the AA).
General interior trim is OK, but air vents tend to break if even slightly heavy handed use.
The Spring on the Glove box is a usual casualty with the hinges not far behind , a weak point.
Seats are comfotrable for long distance driving and their is plenty of adjustment for different size and height drivers.
The Central locking keyfob has a hell of a range on it, if this is not the case, then get the batt changed.
Remember one push to unlock , just the drivers door and a double push to unlock passenger aswell.
As with all ford commercials, they rot! big time, like its going out of fashion when compared to a VW or Merc, with door bottoms and the kick plate as you get in the usual casualties.
This is the transits weak point as rust can start to appear on 12 month old models, if not looked after.
If you buy a Tipper or Flatbed with a genuine Ford back with sides on , then watch out for the closing mechanism on the Sides and tailgate as these are Sh*t and break easily.
The trick is to keep the locking point free of crap s any undue force and the Handle snaps off, as you push it home!
Give me a proper, non ford coahbody anyday, lol.
The Engines themselves are pretty Good, but dont be tempted to buy a 90bhp model as they are seriously underpowered.
the 2.4 durotorque engine is best for towing as the gear ratios are better suited to it.
the 128bhp is a sweet engine ( this may have been replaced with a higher bhp model now).
This will give you effertless overtaking and a top speed of about 120mph
The 90bhp will be lucky to hit 85mph max! unladen.
Economy expect to get about 24 to 30mpg.
They did do a 2.0 version which returned better mpg beleive it or not.
Single rear wheel models can have an MOT anywhere prety much, but twin rear wheel models are HGV class 7 and as such can only have an MOT at an appropriate testing station.
My summing up is that if you want a cheap to buy and maintain van then buy a tansit, as there are plenty out there to choose from!
That said i would rather drive A merc sprinter or VW transporter anyday.
Just like most bosses, mine wont pay the diffrence for a better van and turn them round every 4 years.

Back