Canada TSN 1 / TSN 4
International UFC Fight Pass
Supersport 11
USA ESPN / ESPN+

3.00am MAIN CARD
BT Sport 1
International UFC Fight Pass
Supersport 11

I enjoy the UFC 251, but thought the judges and referee had a bad night/morning on the main card.
Namajunus vs Andrade = I had it a clear 2 rounds to 1 (29-28) but it was a split decision.
Yan vs Aldo = The referee let the fight last at least 30 seconds too long before stopping the fight.
Volkanovski vs Holloway = I had it a clear 3 rounds to 2 (48-47) but it was a split decision going the other way.

I watched a breakdown of around three of Max and Alex and Alex landed more significance strikes. So I can understand why they gave it to him. I think the way they judge fights needs to be changed to be honest. I definitely agree with you on the first two fights.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I watched a breakdown of around three of Max and Alex and Alex landed more significance strikes. So I can understand why they gave it to him. I think the way they judge fights needs to be changed to be honest. I definitely agree with you on the first two fights.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Judging MMA fights is a lot harder than boxing when using the Unified Rules of MMA 10 point must system:-

"Effective Striking/Grappling shall be considered the first priority of round assessments. Effective Aggressiveness is a ‘Plan B’ and should not be considered unless the judge does not see ANY advantage in the Effective Striking/Grappling realm. Cage/Ring Control (‘Plan C’) should only be needed when ALL other criteria are 100% even for both competitors."

Now I'm not starting an argument, but...

1) Judging the fight live is different to replaying it back and scoring light/medium/heavy strikes.

2) Significant strikes work for and against you, for me a significant strike is a heavy/damaging strike, but sometimes it can look worse than it is because of a slip/being off balance, sometimes only on a replay can you see if it was an actual knockdown or a slip.

3) At the end of the 3rd round, the person who is commentating on the video is stating that Volkanovski made a total of 23 strikes to Holloway's 21, but the UFC stats shows Volkanovski made 22 and Holloway made 25 @3:38 of the video.

It was a close fight and not a robbery, but I think Holloway deserves to have a 3rd fight with Volkanovski.

I think the fight could have gone either way and yes Holloway deserves another shot for sure. My reason for the video was show that round three could have been given to either fighter as it was very close.

Back