Tribute Pour in for Everton Gordon West

**override**

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

TRIBUTES today flooded in for Everton FC legend Gordon West after he lost his battle with cancer.

The former Blues goalkeeper, 69, passed away peacefully in hospital yesterday.

One of Everton’s all-time most popular players, West joined the Toffees from Blackpool in 1962 for £27,000, a British record fee for a goalkeeper at that time.

He made 402 appearances for the club, winning the League title in 1963 and 1970 and the FA Cup in 1966. He also represented England on three occasions.

After leaving Everton he appeared briefly for Tranmere Rovers but his heart was always firmly at Goodison Park.

In later years he was a strong supporter of the Everton Former Players’ Foundation.

West, who lived in Brighton-le-Sands, leaves behind partner Linda and sons Stephen and Mark.

Today friends and fellow Everton legends paid tribute to the much-loved Blues star.

Everton chaplain Reverend Harry Ross said: “It’s terribly sad. As far as I could tell he was never the same since Brian Labone died. They were such good buddies, they really were.

“Talk to their team-mates from that era and they say the pair of them had a special rapport. They ensured the atmosphere in the dressing room was utterly fantastic.

“He was a legend. [Club chairman] Bill Kenwright called him one of the great players in Everton history and a wonderful advertisement for football.

“I cannot pay him a higher compliment than that.

“He was a great friend to me and that cheeky grin he had when he said something used to light his face up.

Tributes pour in for Everton FC legend Gordon West after he loses his cancer battle - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

“He was a legend. [Club chairman] Bill Kenwright called him one of the great players in Everton history and a wonderful advertisement for football.

“I cannot pay him a higher compliment than that.
If thats the case why did you (Bill Kenwright) not give him the testimonial he so richly deserved and was repeatedly ask for by fellow players.
Fkn hypocrite.

:rip: Westy​

Back