Tree Preservation Order

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had a tree in your garden, blocking a good view, which had a preservation order on it, if you took it upon yourself to cut it down and someone informed on you, what sort of penalty would you be looking at?

P.S. this is something i've wondered about over the years and never got around to finding out. (i haven't got an axe at the ready lol )

from what i am aware m8 you can be billed for a replacment tree of same size and type which could be thousands (if you can find liquid mercury that is supposed to destroy the tree by drilling at 45 degree angle and pouring into trunkrots from inside out )

Also, if said tree was to become unstable and was about to fall over in strong gusts it would have to be taken down to prevent damage :p

could do with finding some of that mate next door used to complain about the conifers in my garden had them professionally felled and removed, now the dick head has planted one of his own and its 20 odd foot now and blocks my natural light.

i would risk it mate, like already said, they can bill yer for the tree and then also make you put a sapling/young tree back in its place.

if i where you, get yourself some copper nails and hammer a good few in all around the base about half an inch apart all angling downwards. Dont hammer all the way in as you can later take them out when the tree is inspected for disease. cover nails with mud to conceal nails from view.

the mercury route also works but the hole is a bit obvious when the tree is inspected.

you can always take the legal route and put your case forward to have it took down.

from what i am aware m8 you can be billed for a replacment tree of same size and type which could be thousands (if you can find liquid mercury that is supposed to destroy the tree by drilling at 45 degree angle and pouring into trunkrots from inside out )

Then you would have a dead tree to look at... Nice not.

Yep its £20,000 max fine

Read below for those that fall fowl of this:
Employment of rogue tree surgeon leads to prosecution of Aldwick man

Firm is fined £10k for felling protected trees (From Knutsford Guardian)

Fined for felling protected tree | Nottingham Evening Post | Find Articles at BNET

BBC News - Warning after Narborough man fined for tree cutting

Architect fined £800 for felling trees - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Tree surgeon fined for illegal tree felling (From Bucks Free Press)

All the relevant info on TPO rules and regs can be found here:

Tree Preservation Orders: A Guide to the Law and Good Practice - Planning, building and the environment - Department for Communities and Local Government

Not trying to promote other forums, but if you want to know professional Arb advice there are some cracking Blokes on here: Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists

Im not really on here to promote Killing Trees, but sometimes people plant trees in the wrong place which causes problems.

Simplist method is called Girdling, Cut a channel in the Bark all the way round the circumrance of the Trunk, Job Done!

Cheers for the tips on how to assassinate a tree. lol but honestly, i don't have one that needs getting rid of, i was just curious as to what would happen if you just got the chainsaw out and pleaded ignorance.

£20,000 thats steep.

@ stevie, i have a little mercury if it's any good to you? (it's only a tiny amount though, came out of one or more relay switches)

@ stevie, i have a little mercury if it's any good to you? (it's only a tiny amount though, came out of one or more relay switches)

Good idea, but i had a word with his neighbour and he agreed to let me chop it down.. as i wanted to burn it in a wood stove.. this was last year.. not got anywhere to store it yet.. so probably just kill it with said mercury..

Back