TM5402 and network connection using '3 Network' dongle

Julezy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

For my broadband i use a '3 Network' dongle as i dont have a landline and a conventional router. It works fine and i get reasonble speeds when using the internet, i was wondering if its still possible to connect my 5402 to my laptop without a router ? Ive tried connecting a network cable from the laptop to the back of my 5402 - on the laptop i get a green light on the left of the network cable and a flashing amber light on the right, on the back of the receiver i get flashing green light on the left and a solid amber light to the right. Does this mean its connected correctly ?
I tried the Youtube option and i get 'Connection Failed'

I did some research about using Windows Sharing Pack - bit confused as to whether this is still used and whether i need this installed ? The download i found to it on this site didnt appear to be for Windows Sharing Pack.

I'm using patch version 1.27 with add on

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Not something i normally look into or do but it should be similar to a mobile and you need to set it up to 'Tether' it over to the box in effect making the Laptop act like a router.

You can bridge your two connections or use internet connection sharing. There are lots of guides on youtube for connecting XBOX 360 to laptop. It is the same.

i tried it once just to try and it worked fine when connectted to tm it will show as a connection in network settings and as stated to try it you create a network bridge and your tm will get internet via ethernet cable from your laptop other way is get a 3g router for your dongle which should have an ethernet port and will save you have your laptop on
alex

Hi guys,
thanks for your replies - certainly got me pointed in the right direction anyway, although i've spent ages trawling the youtube videos for some more help. Stil not got it working although i must be close.......I'm using the 'Internet Connection Sharing' option, my TM is picked up by the laptop as an "unidentified network" but it says 'no network access' and that the error is "Local Area Connection" doesnt have a valid IP configuration. The TM doesnt connect to youtube saying connection failed. I guess its an issue with the IP address i get when i connect using the '3 Network' dongle and sharing that IP address with the TM over the ethernet cable ?
Is there anyway of telling what IP address the TM is picking up as i cant find it anywhere on the receiver settings ?
I tried manually changing the IP address of the Local Area Network but it appears to ignore this when you come out of the screen.
On the youtube videos you can check the ip settings on an Xbox to make sure they match.

P.S. I tried the 'bridging' option on the laptop but it wouldnt let me.

Help !
Thanks again

Hi,
Update

I bought a 3G wireless router for £25 off ebay and managed to get it all working with the sat receiver - took me a while to get the laptop working with it wirelessly as i forgot to enable the adapter ! :)

I've only briefly tested it with the youtube stuff - just happy i got a connection after all the messing around - I havent tried all the network stuff you can do.
Cheers

If you want to make laptop act like a router then....

Open Network Connections by clicking the
Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click
Properties.
18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41.png
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

Click the
Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box

Repen Network Connections by clicking the
Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

Right-click the LAN connection, and then click
Properties.
18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41.png
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.

Click
Obtain an IP address automatically or Obtain an IPv6 address automatically

BE SURE TO USE A CROSSOVER CABLE FOR DIRECT CONNECTIONS!!!!!!

Back